Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
TheComebackKid

Steel Belt

vCash: 500
The UFC has been watering down their cards for a while now and I think its starting to catch up. They give us 2 significant fights per card and if we're lucky we'll get 1 or 2 extra pretty cool fights. But the rest of the card is filled with no names, women, and little people.

Hopefully the UFC starts to take note, we're not paying for that shit.

TheComebackKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
clayj

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damianj View Post
Do you realize how many people have to be paid to do one of these events? You're talking about 100's of people, staff, etc that require a healthy salary to do their jobs. The UFC also does not receive 100% of the PPV fee, they receive a small percentage and the cable companies get the rest.

Some of you have no clue how expensive it is to put on one of these events. At 200K buys, I'd be willing to bet they barely broke even.
Doesn't every fighter's sponsor have to pay the UFC $50k "sponsorship tax", 10 fights, that's 20 fighters = $1,000,000.

Wasn't this on free TV in Brasil? How much does the UFC charge TV advertisers for their ads? Probably not cheap. Plus all the overpriced food, drinks, souvenirs, etc., that they sold at the event. There are a lot of other revenue streams in addition to the ticket sales.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
MMAcolyte

Green Belt

Quote:
Do you realize how many people have to be paid to do one of these events? You're talking about 100's of people, staff, etc that require a healthy salary to do their jobs. The UFC also does not receive 100% of the PPV fee, they receive a small percentage and the cable companies get the rest.

Some of you have no clue how expensive it is to put on one of these events. At 200K buys, I'd be willing to bet they barely broke even.
I agree 100%. They've also talked about how it was like 2005 or something that they started to make profits, and I believe that's right around the time all their PPV's started doing 200,000+ buys. Don't quote me on that, it's just what I seem to recall.

MMAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
AusMMAfan

Purple Belt

Looks like Shad is no longer top 5 draw anymore.. Crazy how a couple of loses can reduce your stock price.

Top 5 draws:
-Cain
-JBJ
-GSP
-Rhonda
-Anderson Silva?

Deadlift: 120kgs(264.5lbs)

Bench press: 70kgs(154lbs)

Squat: ???
AusMMAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
MMAcolyte

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayj View Post
Doesn't every fighter's sponsor have to pay the UFC $50k "sponsorship tax", 10 fights, that's 20 fighters = $1,000,000.

Wasn't this on free TV in Brasil? How much does the UFC charge TV advertisers for their ads? Probably not cheap. Plus all the overpriced food, drinks, souvenirs, etc., that they sold at the event. There are a lot of other revenue streams in addition to the ticket sales.
Haha also valid points.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
Hans Gercmiov

Silver Belt

vCash: 191
Quote:

Between sponsorships and 200k buys at $45-55 a pop... I'd be willing to bet you're out of your rabid ass mind if you think they barely broke even.

That's the most ridiculous shit I've seen on Sherdog in awhile, and that's a bold statement.

Edit: oh.. And ticket sales and who knows what else. Zuffa is doing quite well for itsself

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
jmadtx

Black Belt

vCash: 1688
i didnt order either one

Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
MMAcolyte

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMMAfan View Post
Looks like Shad is no longer top 5 draw anymore.. Crazy how a couple of loses can reduce your stock price.

Top 5 draws:
-Cain
-JBJ
-GSP
-Rhonda
-Anderson Silva?
Ronda only has 1 PPV under her belt, and that was with a strong (on paper) co-main event. I'm surprised this many people are proclaiming her as a proven draw. By far the UFC's biggest draw is GSP. Jones has also proven to be able to carry a card into the half-million buys mark by himself (conversely, GSP can go between half mil and a mil).

I think Cain sells well, but he's also always on good cards it seems. It's tough to say who's a bigger draw between him and Junior imo. Those two are so inextricably linked, that's why this rubber match is so huge (can't wait!)

Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
gspieler

Brown Belt

Over saturation, no Brock, too many years selling wolf tickets for fights that didn't deliver(Shad/Page, Shad/Bones, GSP/anyone), less average quality of cards, emergence of new weight classes that aren't ad well-received, nobody has watched TUF in years, current trend in mma to employ play-it-safe tactics usually leading to a decision, etc, etc, etc.

gspieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
D 1 Wrestler

Green Belt

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusMMAfan View Post

Top 5 draws:
-Cain
-JBJ
-GSP
-Rhonda
-Anderson Silva?
where's mcgregor?

D 1 Wrestler is offline   Reply With Quote