Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
The Editing
Banned

vCash: 500
Once again I am sucked into the hype on a GSP fight.

Every time he fights I declare that I am not going to get excited about his next fight. A few months pass and I find myself in the same place as always, trying not to blink when he fights. So once again here I am, thinking this could be the guy to finish GSP (or the guy that GSP could finish). Someone tell me that it's not hopeless please.

Edit: Fair warning, even though this post isn't really criticizing GSP in any way it wound up some of his fans. If you don't want to hear the usual GSP bullshit (you don't understand, you aren't a real fan, etc etc etc) skip any post that's longer than a sentence or two.

Last edited by The Editing; 11-05-2013 at 06:55 PM.
The Editing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Natman2939

Gold Belt

Location: In a small town, in a big country, on a floating oasis somewhere in the universe
vCash: 192
I can't help you because I'm not looking for the same thing you're looking for.

I get excited for GSP fights because he's my favorite fighter and because I love watching his dominant performances (including his decisions)

I leave every GSP fight happy as long as he wins, and especially if he dominates.

People like you who only care if he finishes or not, I just don't get that.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Substance Abuse

You might want to marvel in the technical display on hand when Georges fights. He does everything incredibly well. It's like art.

That said, Hendricks KO'ing people and beating Condit make him legit. It's a fight worth watching.

Running Man Condit - ☑
K1 Shields and Hughes - ☑
Team Alpha Midget - ☑
Motivated Penn - ☑

Won NFL & MMA Plat Pick 'Ems!
Substance Abuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
The Editing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post

I get excited for GSP fights because he's my favorite fighter and because I love watching his dominant performances (including his decisions)

I leave every GSP fight happy as long as he wins, and especially if he dominates.

I hate to knock you right off your high horse, but I appreciate the technical brilliance and brute strength that GSP shows when he dominates every opponent (except when Shields is outstriking him). Some of us like to see some form of excitement in our fights, and it's hard to get excited about a blanket covering.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
pjmman

Blue Belt

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post

feel this way too ...

pjmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
BionicCommando

Red Belt

vCash: 480
That's why the UFC is really really good at making money.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
delbosque

Blue Belt

vCash: 332
Hendricks is a threat. He could KO GSP, or he could get 50-45'd like everyone else. That's just the way it is.

delbosque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Unbreakabull

Brown Belt

I didn't appreciate GSP until he was out for a while. That - and his cards are always stacked with a few must see contender fights.

Rory & Thatch
Mini Fedor & Real Deal
Injured Conor & The Swanson
Cruz
MM
Unbreakabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
dcosmar

Green Belt

some people get excited about georges fights because of the prospect of him getting KO'ed Serra style. maybe that's something for you to look forward to in GSP fights. i like watching him. it's so rare to see him in any trouble whatsoever that i think people take for granted that we might not see dominance like his in a long time. no matter how you feel about finishes, it's hard to deny he's one of the best ever and you get to watch him work. i honestly think, for the sake of increasing his legacy, he needs to string together some finishes before he retires and based on some of the talk coming from him lately, that may not be too far off from now.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
The Editing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmman View Post
feel this way too ...
So basically this topic is just going to turn into everyone riding his jock the whole time right? I mean guys, you realize I am not blaming your dreamboat? I feel equally let down by his opponents and their poor choice of gameplan or lack of ability to stop him. I guess that doesn't register with you guys?