Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Intellidamus

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Old Vernon White story

I just thought of a funny story I'd share with you. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong forum & no it doesn't make me think I'm cool. I just wanted to share it.
I had my ass saved by Vernon 'Tiger' White from a pretty good beating back in May 1993. I just looked at his fight finder & realized it was just 4 months before his pro debut. I was at the Calaveras County fair & trying to break up a fight between my friends & a bunch of guys. I was pulling a guy off of one of my friends when I got pulled down myself. Next thing I know I'm getting kicked in the head by 3 cowboys from all directions. I had my hands protecting my face so I couldn't use them to stand up. Then all of a sudden it stopped & I feel someone pulling me out of there before security could come. I look back & see that 2 of the guys are on the ground & one is holding his face with blood going everywhere. Vernon said he was standing in line for a ride when he saw me getting kicked in the head. I ended up with my temples pretty swollen but it could've been worse.
Luckily I had been friends with Vernon. This was shortly after he had began training with Ken Shamrock. This was way back when MMA was just getting going & those guys probably didn't have a clue as to what hit them.
Thanks for listening & sorry about the rambling post.

Intellidamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
TalkinNoise

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intellidamus View Post
I just thought of a funny story I'd share with you. Maybe I'm putting this in the wrong forum & no it doesn't make me think I'm cool. I just wanted to share it.
I had my ass saved by Vernon 'Tiger' White from a pretty good beating back in May 1993. I just looked at his fight finder & realized it was just 4 months before his pro debut. I was at the Calaveras County fair & trying to break up a fight between my friends & a bunch of guys. I was pulling a guy off of one of my friends when I got pulled down myself. Next thing I know I'm getting kicked in the head by 3 cowboys from all directions. I had my hands protecting my face so I couldn't use them to stand up. Then all of a sudden it stopped & I feel someone pulling me out of there before security could come. I look back & see that 2 of the guys are on the ground & one is holding his face with blood going everywhere. Vernon said he was standing in line for a ride when he saw me getting kicked in the head. I ended up with my temples pretty swollen but it could've been worse.
Luckily I had been friends with Vernon. This was shortly after he had began training with Ken Shamrock. This was way back when MMA was just getting going & those guys probably didn't have a clue as to what hit them.
Thanks for listening & sorry about the rambling post.
Haha, awesome story. Tiger had a full career for sure, as well as a good scrap with Liddell. Always cool to hear stories about vets

Old 01-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Fantastic_Man

Purple Belt

Goddamn cowboys!! Thanks for the story, TS!

Fantastic_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
TalkinNoise

Blue Belt

Also, just verifies for the 1000th time that a journeyman (and at the time inexperienced) fighter will fuck up the average group of dudes

Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Frode Falch
Professional Fighter

thats cool.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Rex Kwon Do

vCash: 1059
Got any pics with Tiger White?

- Mike Goldberg, said while Derrick ”Black Beast” Lewis rains down massive, sloppy GnP sledgehammers on Jack May, a kickboxer with no ground game

11/2 MOLON LABIA
Rex Kwon Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Senbonzakura

Blue Belt

War Tiger! Such a cool guy and an exceptional fighter.

Senbonzakura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Steve08

Silver Belt

vCash: 1500
Sorry to hear about you getting attacked by those assholes, but cool story. Tiger White was awesome back in the day.

2-0 in sig bets
Steve08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
the ambush
Room 237

vCash: 140
Pictures? Or most people will say it never happened.

the ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Willy Lump Lump
Shaman Belt

Was this at an airport??

Joking, cool story.

--Nas,Yukmouth,RassKass,Copywrite,LoadedLux,CrookedI,--
Willy Lump Lump is offline   Reply With Quote