Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 AM   #81
seanjackson**
Banned

vCash: 500
its not the most impresive thing to come across. its basic boxing skill. its what amateur boxers are taught at the basic level. it is why chuck liddle isnt a great striker. he has great power and he is exciting but to hail him as the greatest super-star of mma is very insulting to alot of the fighters in the sport. rampage is a much more superior striker then chuck any day. check old threads, i predict chucks destruction due to his lack of defense in head movement, rolling under or with punches, ducking, slipping, hands up. jackson is fighting smarter. wide punches are careless. a good striker throws straight down the middle with crisp punches and brings it back to defend the jaw/temple. page seems to be doing that and gaining leaverage and power rolling under and throwing hooks and defending. alot of ppl knock the sweet science of boxing. alot of guys should spend more time at it. bjj is great but you gotta know stand up well too. throwing like you were taught striking out in the street or in a bar after a few drinks will only get you so far. best striker in mma is definetly gotta be anderson silva. clean crisp shots down the middle. you can get just as much leaverage in a punch straight down the middle as you can a over hand. power comes from your legs not arms. throwing like a clown shows lack of training and defense. dont buy into the hype. chuck is a horrible stand up fighter who cleared out cans of fighters who were all made for his style. common now? he circled to his left and walked into jackson's hook. he threw a body shot from the outside. twelve year old amateurs from my boxing club dont even do that. boxing 101 for chuck liddle haha. cheers/

seanjackson** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:29 AM   #82
ho-bag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunner19 View Post
If you re-watch the second Rampage/Wand fight, which IMHO is one of the greatest fights in MMA history, you will see that Page's boxing technique is beautiful. Some of his blocking/counterpunching is absolutely flawless. Shows you how good Silva was in his prime.

But yeah, looks like he has worked hard and continued to improve his technique.
lol. His boxing technique was far from beautiful in that fight. What Silva-Rampage II showed was Rampages amazing cojones - mentally he was nowhere near in the right place to fight for the title...And silva capitalized, and you can quit trying to give Rampage backhanded compliments as a very-thinly disguised attempt to display your unashamed chutebox and silva nuthuggery.

I'm sick of how every rampage thread eventually get's round to silva appreciation comments. When overall on these boards we've heard comparatively little glorification of Hendo's and Crocop's beatdowns of the not-so-great Silva. Even though they are more recent and equally emphatic. Can't wait for Chuck to deliver a third straight knockout for Wanderlei Silva fans to deal with.

ho-bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #83
taurus
Tiger knee belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknik View Post
beat me to it

Believe it or not, but boxers actually block and dodge punches, then counter punch. I know it's hard to believe, but it really does happen.
your sig kicks ass

Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #84
taurus
Tiger knee belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjackson View Post
its not the most impresive thing to come across. its basic boxing skill. its what amateur boxers are taught at the basic level. it is why chuck liddle isnt a great striker. he has great power and he is exciting but to hail him as the greatest super-star of mma is very insulting to alot of the fighters in the sport. rampage is a much more superior striker then chuck any day. check old threads, i predict chucks destruction due to his lack of defense in head movement, rolling under or with punches, ducking, slipping, hands up. jackson is fighting smarter. wide punches are careless. a good striker throws straight down the middle with crisp punches and brings it back to defend the jaw/temple. page seems to be doing that and gaining leaverage and power rolling under and throwing hooks and defending. alot of ppl knock the sweet science of boxing. alot of guys should spend more time at it. bjj is great but you gotta know stand up well too. throwing like you were taught striking out in the street or in a bar after a few drinks will only get you so far. best striker in mma is definetly gotta be anderson silva. clean crisp shots down the middle. you can get just as much leaverage in a punch straight down the middle as you can a over hand. power comes from your legs not arms. throwing like a clown shows lack of training and defense. dont buy into the hype. chuck is a horrible stand up fighter who cleared out cans of fighters who were all made for his style. common now? he circled to his left and walked into jackson's hook. he threw a body shot from the outside. twelve year old amateurs from my boxing club dont even do that. boxing 101 for chuck liddle haha. cheers/

great post...

but i think CC's punching is better then Silva's... (and it shows the power of shots down the middle)

btw, ENTER button once in a while would not kill you...

Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 AM   #85
repetitio

Brown Belt

Was Rampage hurt by that elbow from Eastman? It looked like it graced his head.

--George St. Pierre

"Also I never liked soccer kicks and stomps. I think thatís for street fights." - Minotauro
repetitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 AM   #86
repetitio

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjackson View Post
Well said.

--George St. Pierre

"Also I never liked soccer kicks and stomps. I think thatís for street fights." - Minotauro
repetitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #87
muhr

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyIsMe View Post

Basically the same technique.
It's funny, that in the interview after beating Marvin, Quinton talked about possibly not being ready to face Chuck. If I remember correctly, the camera went to Chuck and he was smiling and nodding his head. Chuck should have watched Quinton's fight more carefully.

muhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 AM   #88
Cuban_Red

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by travarica View Post
I was watching his fight against eastman again and I saw him use the same technique he knocked down chuck with.

Marvin came in with an elbow, rampage ducked, rolled his hands up to block and threw a right hook that rocked eastman. Here's the link to the gif
http://forums.doghouseboxing.com/lof...94514-200.html

He used the same technique when chuck went for a body shot.

This technique seems to work like a charm. Your opponent charges in, you duck and protect your head, he openes up and you throw a punch.

Looks like Juanito Ibarra is one hell of a boxing coach and rampage a good student.

Ok The Rampage tecnique came out wrong .I should have written Rampage's favourite boxing tecnique.

I think that was Kung-Fu not boxing.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #89
clutchgnp

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyIsMe View Post

Basically the same technique.
well put.

clutchgnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:53 AM   #90
TheHarakiri

Purple Belt

rampage always had the best blocks in the game. just look at wandy vs rampage 2.

TheHarakiri is offline   Reply With Quote