Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Kalib Starnes
Professional Fighter

vCash: 500
Kalib Starnes tests positive for marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and amphetamines

I was never on any Montreal radio show. If anyone knows what radio show that I allegedly appeared on, or has any recording of it or any evidence of it whatsoever I would love to know about it. So far I've only heard rumors and allegations. I did not throw the fight, the fight was not a protest against the UFC.

I will say again what I've said before; I had the game plan of circling and moving to stay out of exchanges and to work off of my jab because he hits so hard, to avoid the clinch because he was very strong and I'd taken knees and elbows there in my previous fight, and to throw some kicks as the fight wore on.

I threw 35 punches in the first round and I would have thrown a lot more had I landed any of them, but I found him very difficult to hit and he was counter punching whenever I would step in, with one of those counter punches almost dropping me early. Most of my takedowns come out of the clinch and when I tried to switch it up and get position in the clinch to take him down I couldn't do it because he seemed much stronger than me.

In the second round it was more of the same except that he almost knocked me out again early which made me more hesitant to throw punches so I decided to throw some kicks and at about 2 minutes into round two I threw a low right roundhouse kick that hit his shin awkwardly and I broke my foot, which stopped me from throwing anymore kicks, other than a few tentative kicks with my left leg. **That is not an excuse for losing it is simply something that happened and for me to mention it I think is quite reasonable.

I found myself in a fight where I couldn't stand with the guy, he was awkward and he hit hard having almost knocked me out three times in the fight, I couldn't take him down and work my ground game (I got him down only once and just managed to land a few shots because he got up so fast), and so I felt like I could either keep moving or get knocked out. Then late in the third he started to mock me out of frustration, but really at that point, I was just a solidly beaten fighter who was trying not to get knocked out, and had fallen into a pattern that I couldn't get out of. It was the worst athletic performance of my life.

Afterword his cornerman was swearing at me and calling me names, I responded to him by calling him names and telling him that he should get in there and fight then, meaning fight in the UFC, not fight me. He apologized to me afterword I suppose realizing that he was out of line, and so did Nate and I know that they were both acting out of frustration and so I forgave them and apologized in return for losing my temper. I think it's rediculous that he be made into some kind of hero for mocking a guy that he just beat the crap out of, and I felt forced into retreating because he had such a good offense. I didn't choose to do it as some kind of protest. I did try to win that fight and I did show up to fight, I don't care what Dana White says, I just wasn't good enough on that day to do it. I have no excuses for losing the fight.

If you want a copy of my medical records the guys at Sherdog can contact me, or Primo at ATT and you'll be provided with that. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have never said that the UFC does not cover a fighters medical expenses, I'm dealing with their medical claims department right now regarding my broken foot and other injuries sustained at UFC 83, and up until this point they have honored their obligations.

I have as much right to discuss what fighters are paid as anyone else and I know a lot about the subject having fought for the organization in some capacity seven times. Believe me, you're paid if you win and tossed aside like garbage if you lose. Until these guys learn to market themselves the payouts are going to remain pathetic compared to boxing and the UFC's little traveling circus will roam from town to town with the billionaires raking in the cash while the fighters split up about five percent of the take between them.

What prompted me to discuss it were comments about it being wise to get knocked out as opposed to moving out of the way, apparently from brain injury advocates who've taken their own advice. I'm not retiring and I've already been offered more than I ever made at the UFC, which was $5,000 and $5000, plus $30000 fight of the night (which they gave me because I had no heart), plus an additional $25000 (because I don't belong in the UFC presumably). That's $65,000 you clever little monkeys, but remember that if I'd lost I would have walked away with a sweet $5000 and a kick in the ass, because they only pay the winners. The only problem with that is, somebody loses every time.

Here's a typical article from another website illustrating the type of thing that I get to deal with now. And I'll post some quotes from forums I've looked through after that. Such fine human beings are drawn to this sport. I can't wait to jump back in there and fight for your amusement!

Kalib Starnes: Go Fuck Yourself

By Michael Rome
Posted on Mon Apr 21, 2008 at 06:07:42 PM EDT
There's a gigantic thread on Sherdog with a report on why Kalib Starnes did what he did. This of course could be be bullshit, but it is from a senior poster there and I believe it, and will of course take this down if it turns out it isn't true. I won't apologize though because no matter what his explanation I still hate him:

Basically he sets the record straight and backs it up with proof. As many of you know this was his last fight of the UFC contract and he has always voiced his dissatisfaction with his salary. Basically after the Kendall Grove fight where his rib was broken, UFC did NOT cover any medical bills even though it happened on the "work site".
He said that he is one of the many fighters who get injured and never compensated by the UFC. He was well aware that he was on the main card because it was Canada, and this being his last fight he decided to protest in the names of all underpaid fighters and screw over the UFC.
This is NO joke because he claimed that the only reason Dana White officially released the fight bonuses was in order to counter-act the public statement that Starnes is about to make or would have made. However, since the 75k fight bonuses were disclosed Kalib's martyr actions may not be as significant.

Nevertheless, expect an official statement later this week as his gym is holding a official press conference on Wednesday. We all know that the "real" Kalib Starnes would have never fought the way he did and luckily there IS an explanation.

I can think of FIFTY BILLION better ways to make this point. What a **********. How about try to win and then get on the microphone and point it out to everyone. I hope this is true because I want to hate him even more. According to SDS on Sherdog, he is retiring, which I guess is decent news.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Armin Tamzarian

White Belt

thanks for coming online and discussing this with us mr. starnes. i haven't seen the fight, but have heard quite a bit about it....

its rare to see pro fighters around here these days, you'll soon find out why

"watch again the 'tactitioner' fabiano iha..." Goldberg
Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
David Brent

White Belt

At least you dont run from the critics...Fair play.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Haunted99

Red Belt

I'll give you respect for coming on here and explaining the situation.

People don't understand how hard it is to be a professional fighter, it wasn't an exciting fight but hey...shit happens right?

You'll probably be back earning more money then ever so that's good I guess.

Good luck dealing with all the dickheads on here though.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Shinobi-wan

Green Belt

dont let the sherdog idiots worry you.

most cant lift a pair of 8 ounce gloves.

no one outside of these forums gives shit what people here think.

has no effect on your life or career.

www.glassaficionado.com #1 online magazine for collectibal glass art.

"Nick Diaz def Takanori Gomi while stoned.....
That's one war on drugs that Id support!"
Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Forrest Gimp

vCash:
What's this got to do with this "positive test" of yours?.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
hole in the sky

White Belt

so what's your next move now? are you still fighting in another organization soon?

edit: you guys in here are absolute dicks.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #8
DrSeamus
Banned

well to tell you truth i was quite pissed off at the performance, but this past saturday at Muay Thai i threw a kick while sparring and broke 2 toes, first time i ever broke anything, and lemme tell ya i had the same strategy for the rest of the round and hit the showers right after. so now i completely understand.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #9
Pastor Trimm
Dimitri's Messenger

As understandable as all that is, think from a fan's point of view. All we seen was Nate swinging and you running. I appreciate the fact that you have come here to at least ttry and clear things up. I seriously hope you can come back from all of this man. What about ATT? There was a rumor that you were kicked off the team or quit. Any truth?

ps: I love the thread title!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #10
Dale Cooper

vCash:
Most people here dont even train, so they have no idea what its like to fight, or fight injured. 90% of people here would drop down and cry if they would get their leg broken.

Your last couple of fights were good and exiting, this one wasnt but no way you deserve all this crap that people are giving to you.

Closed Thread