Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
NYCfights

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Jon Jones' letter to the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle

Jon Jones recently had a letter printed in the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle discussing his plea to legalize MMA in New York. (searched Sherdog for this but didn't find anything. apologies if this has been posted already) Link and letter:

Mixed Martial Arts

Quote:
Rochester Democrat & Chronicle: Legalize mixed martial arts in New York
February 5, 2011

By Jon Jones

I was born in Rochester, raised in Endicott, Broome County, and won the New York state high school wrestling championship in Albany in 2005. As a mixed martial arts athlete with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, I would love to compete in front of the same friends and family in my professional career.

Unfortunately, I can't. New York is one of four states that doesn't allow MMA. Critics of MMA have claimed different reasons for opposing regulation. But as our millions of fans and anyone who has been paying attention knows, these claims don't hold up.

First they said it wasn't a real sport. But MMA is the fastest-growing sport in the world, sets event gate and concession records, and millions watch fights on pay-per-view TV. We are highly trained athletes, Olympians and All-American college wrestlers.

MMA has gone mainstream. Fighters appear in ads for Microsoft, and UFC sponsors include the Marines, Harley Davidson and Anheuser-Busch. And it's hard to argue with dollar figures. A recent study found New York regulation would generate $23 million in economic activity and create hundreds of local jobs.

Then detractors said it wasn't safe. But we have some of the most rigorous safety standards, drug testing and officiating in professional sports. Two ambulances, four doctors, pre- and post-fight medical exams, rounds, weight classes and prohibitions on certain moves ensure matches are safe. There's never been a death or life-threatening injury in a UFC match. The most serious injury was a broken arm, and that fighter returned to win the UFC heavyweight title that year.

All that our critics have left to say is MMA is barbaric. It is full of strategy, fluidity. Highly conditioned athletes look for momentary points of leverage and advantage combining karate, jiu jitsu, wrestling and kickboxing, which can take decades to master.

As a highly trained athlete, I take offense at the barbarism claim. Adrenaline and intensity reign supreme in the sport, but we have adopted an etiquette. I consider some of my greatest opponents my closest friends. There's a real camaraderie amongst fighters, and that's infectious with our fans.

MMA isn't for everyone. But to call it brutal is to misunderstand the sport, its athletes and its fans. We're not masochists, we're college graduates, role models, Olympic champions. We have a greater safety record than the NFL and boxing, and with millions of fans, we are not going away.

Jon Jones, who lives in Ithaca, is fighting tonight at a UFC event in Las Vegas.
Bright kid. Every bit helps.

NYCfights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
MontrealMauler

Gold Belt

"But please keep weed still illegal. In fact you should make that a one strike, you're out penalty. Maybe the death penalty. Think about it.", added Jones.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Thundarr

Yellow Belt

Really? That letter was poorly written and is no way a compelling arguement for the sanctioning of mma in New York. Should have had that mess of a letter reviewed by a friend before sending it.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
A84

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
Really? That letter was poorly written and is no way a compelling arguement for the sanctioning of mma in New York. Should have had that mess of a letter reviewed by a friend before sending it.
He wrote it between the 1st and 2nd round against Bader.

A84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
jonvoight's car

Brown Belt

Great letter from Bones. Hopefully the idiots opposing legalization in the Legislature will start paying attention.

jonvoight's car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
NYCfights

Orange Belt

Quote:
Really? What are your specific problems with it?

NYCfights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Thundarr

Yellow Belt

Using spell check doesn't correct sentence structuring problems, which this letter has in abundance.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
orangecuse

Silver Belt

vCash: 2875
Excellent letter by Bones. Of course in this same thread you see the problem with the sport; simple minded teenie bopper fans bitter about how a person acted in high school. Are these people adults? I find that hard to believe.

orangecuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
rearnakedchoke

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfights View Post
Really? What are your specific problems with it?
i think he is talking about the flow and poor transitioning from theme to theme ... although he does a great job of introducing the subject and reiterating his intent in the conclusion ... i thought it was pretty good though

rearnakedchoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
Challenger_USA

Orange Belt

Quote:
WTF are you talking about, that was great letter. What in your opinion you have to have a PHD in writing in order to right a letter?
What a fucking douche you are.

Challenger_USA is offline   Reply With Quote