Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
rdmize111

White Belt

vCash: 500
I may be gerontophilic...

So it seems in many fights I'm just for the old guy regardless of anything. Not all the time but in many cases I have hated a guy or a least wasn't a fan. Suddenly out of nowhere I find I'm cheering for them

Example:
I hated BJ. For a long period I hated him more than any other fighter. It mostly stemmed from TUF and the way he treated Jens. What a dick! The whole thing at fighter selection... I'm also a big GSP fan so... blahhh blahh blahh 'nuf said.

Now comes the Rory fight. I find myself wanting BJ to tool this "kid". I literally start cussing at the screen when Rory starts showboating. "Who the fuck do you think you are you POS?!" "Do you know what that guy has done for you little fuck?!"

A second example could be Sakuraba. I'll not go into why I disliked him for fear of missing the point but while I didn't "hate" him I would say I disliked him.

Flash forward to Sakuraba vs random Gracie kid I don't know from Adam. Again I'm talking to the TV. "yeah well FUCK YOU! he beat up your whole family!"

There are more examples but I think you get my point. I sort of seem to randomly start cheering for guys as they get older.

Am I alone? (not in the talking to my TV part, I know that means I'm crazy and also that I'm not alone in it).

If you have a psychology degree feel free to tell me what fucked up part of my head makes this happen.

rdmize111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
Rucks

Blue Belt

Well I have 3 psychology degrees, but you don't even need one to see what's going on...it's not a fetish for older fighters, but fear of the unfamiliar that you are dealing with. You probably root for the older guys because you don't know the backstories of their younger counterparts at first. But in time, you will be pulling for them as well. I think that's where a lot of people started off hating Jones; he beat the guys that a lot of people already were fond of. See the related phenomenon known as "Pride fetish."

Fear of the unknown and fondness of the familiar. Nothing too deep about this phenomenon.

Rucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #3
Ph3n0m

Blue Belt

You're fine you just happen to like older men.

Ph3n0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
Junior Cigano**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucks View Post
Well I have 3 psychology degrees
No you don't.

Junior Cigano** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Rucks

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Cigano View Post
No you don't.
OK, dude

Rucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
rdmize111

White Belt

Quote:
Well I have 3 psychology degrees, but you don't even need one to see what's going on...it's not a fetish for older fighters, but fear of the unfamiliar that you are dealing with. You probably root for the older guys because you don't know the backstories of their younger counterparts at first. But in time, you will be pulling for them as well. I think that's where a lot of people started off hating Jones; he beat the guys that a lot of people already were fond of. See the related phenomenon known as "Pride fetish."

Fear of the unknown and fondness of the familiar. Nothing too deep about this phenomenon.
Simple to you as Ohm's Law is to me. Not everyone knows Ohm's law. Anyways awsome. Not having had a lot of time to think about yet, I think you are 100% correct!

THANKS!

EDIT: Did I forget to add that I like old man sex?... JK. Thread title was kinda a joke

rdmize111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
Benoitthegr8
Sport Smash Practitioner

I sympathize, in my opinion we older fans associate the older fighters with our own youth and a "better" time for MMA (i.e. early 2000's UFC/Pride era). I do the same thing, however there is an entire new stable of interesting fighters. I seem to pick guys through the prelims and follow them, unfortunately none of them have struck gold

Old 09-27-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Oleg Salenko
20 Liga 14 Cup

vCash: 50
Quote:

I have 9, and from an Ivy League School nonetheless, not from.. La Salle or wherever you got yours. Sounds like a pasta dish.

It's clear as day TS is suffering from reverse body dysmorphia.

Oleg Salenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
marcusnz80

Purple Belt

Quote:

I think people didnt like jones because he was/is cocky not because he beat popular guys.

marcusnz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #10
Big Tuppy Hole

Silver Belt

I seem to become fans of fighters after they take serious beatings, I was never a big fan of BJ untill he was slayed by GsP and toughness that Shogun showed against Jones and Henderson made me a fan.

JUST BLEED FAN

Has sherdog turned on Wand?
Big Tuppy Hole is offline   Reply With Quote