Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
HiMyNameIs

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Has anyone else seen this GSP E-mail drug testing controversy?

When I read this I thought a lot of people would be talking about it but I havent seen any posts on this yet so, here I go.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/11/47...esting-gsp-ufc

Basically, GSP and his team have been sending e-mails to keith kizer(i think) will all kinds of crazy demands and questions on this whole VADA drug testing thing.

They were asking stuff like what specifically would be tested for and when the test would take place. Kizer said theres no point in testing if you know when it is going to happen. It should be random...

Anyways the e-mails are in that link... i will copy and paste them into this thread as well... what do u guys think about this?

AV by Det_Kimble
HiMyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
HiMyNameIs

Blue Belt

This is the first e-mail to Kizer from GSP and his camp

Cc : Firas; Michael Mersch; Ted

Objet : RE:

Thank you for your email.

Please see the answers below.

Keith Kizer

Executive Director

Nevada Athletic Commission

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:39 AM

To: Keith Kizer

Cc: Firas; Michael Mersch

Subject:

Hello Mr Kizer,

Couple of questions.

I would like to know the exact list of substances that will be tested by the Salt Lake City lab.? See WADA's Prohibited List - http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Wo...st-2013-EN.pdf

What will be the detection limits for each test? All methods used for testing are consistent with current WADA technical documents.

Who will be the MRO (medical review officer)? Dr. Timothy Trainor is the Commission’s Consulting Research Physician.

Will IRMS analysis will be included for the 19-norandrosterone, la testosterone, la DHEA etc)? Such analysis can and may be done, at the discretion of the Commission

Thanks

Rodolphe

Here is the second e-mail from GSP and his camp... Kizers answers to the questions are in bold

Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 9:08 AM

To: 'Keith Kizer'

Cc: 'Firas'; Michael Mersch; Ted

Subject: RE:

Hello,

After discussing with Georges and his medical advisors, we do have a few more questions (see below).

I also want to clarify one point, VADA is NOT sponsoring the tests as Firas previously stated on the call. It was a misunderstanding. It would cost 7,500$ per fighter under VADA and VADA will absorb 5,000$ for a total cost of $20k which is in line with your estimation of the costs with the SMRTL lab.

1- Can you provide us the Nevada Athletic Commission policies and collection procedures (including results management). Please provide a copy of your policy. All the Commission’s regulations can be found athttp://leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-467.html.

2- I know you indicated that the Nevada Athletic Commission will use the Salt Lake City lab. Can you confirm who will be the collection company that you intend to use? No

3- Does the Nevada Athletic Commission has an insurance for this anti-doping program? Please provide a copy. No, the Commission is a government agency.

4- How long has the Nevada Athletic Commission been conducting these un-announced program with a WADA accredited lab using Olympic level testing? The Commission has been working directly with the SMRT lab starting this summer. Do you/will you also test for HGH and EPO? I already informed you that the testing will be for substances on WADA’s Prohibited List- http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/Wo...st-2013-EN.pdf.

5- How many fighters have been tested with this program by the Nevada Athletic Commission? The Commission has performed OOC testing on about 50 athletes.

Thank You

Rodolphe Beaulieu, CFA

Partner - LB3i Sports

Slightly over an hour later, Mersch responded to the ongoing conversation: (I believe this is a VADA rep)

Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 10:18 AM

To: Rodolphe

Cc: 'Firas'; Ted; Keith Kizer

Subject: RE:

Rodolphe,

I just tried to call you but did not get an answer. I thought that the options available to Georges were made clear during our last call but apparently not.

Please understand that the Nevada Athletic Commission is doing Georges a favor by offering to be involved in this process. The benefit, to Georges, of having them involved is that it brings legitimacy to any pre-fight testing procedures and any results that may come out of said pre-fight testing. I think Mr. Kizer made it clear that, if Georges want them to be involved, he had a very strict protocol that he expected to be followed and, if Georges elected not to follow said protocol, that was his choice but that the NSAC would not be involved other than to the extent they would traditionally be involved in the drug testing of athletes under Nevada State law.

Issues such as collection procedures have already been discussed. Who their medical officer is and that the Salt Lake Lab will dictate collection times in concert with the Nevada Commission has also been explained to you.

Again, the choices for Georges are very simply:

1) Elect to work with the NSAC and pay for additional drug testing pursuant to the very clear directives of Executive Director Kizer as was discussed at length on the call we had with Ted Ahrens, Mr. Kizer and Commissioner Aguilar;

2) Elect not to request NSAC pre-fight involvement

As we discussed on the call, Georges stated goal here seems to be to establish, through medical testing, that Georges is a "clean" fighter. You do not need to work with either the NSAC or VADA to establish that in my opinoin [sic]. As you may be aware, there is an accredited WADA level lab in Montreal that you can work with or you can simply have medical testing performed by any board-certified endocrinologist of your choosing to establish this.

Similarly, if Georges elects to work with VADA, that is his choice but, as described by Mr. Kizer, VADA has no role or impact on the process of licensing and testing fighters within the State of Nevada (nor in any other jurisdiction for that matter). Additionally, Mr. Hendricks has made it clear that while he is happy to submit to any testing involving the Nevada Commission, he is uncomfortable working with VADA for the reasons noted on our call and those noted above in this email.

So again, the decision is up to George. Please let me know what he elects to do.

Thanks.

Michael Mersch

When contacted for clarification on the intent of Mr. Mersch's email, a UFC representative simply added, "The email is fairly self-explanatory. We attempted to broker joint drug testing through the NSAC and St-Pierre and his camp elected to utilize VADA."

That appeared to be all Kizer needed as he moved to claim that GSP was effectively declining hours later:

Le 2013-08-16 à 14:32, Keith Kizer a écrit :

Mr. Mersch and Mr. Beauliue:

Thank you both for your email. Special thanks to Rudolphe for being professional enough to divulge Mr. Firas’s misrepresentation.

I am happy to answer any questions (and have – see my answers to yours latest questions below). However, the Commission does not allow any licensee to dictate or craft the testing. Not only is this inappropriate, it is not something the Commission would even consider.

I will take the latest email as a refusal by Mr. St. Pierre to request enhanced steroid and drug testing by the Commission, which is his choice. Of course Mr. St. Pierre and Mr. Hendricks must comply with any and all testing by the Commission.

Keith Kizer

Executive Director

Nevada Athletic Commission

Just over 24 hours later, Beaulieu responded, saying that St-Pierre was in for the NSAC testing and would also do additional VADA testing himselfGeorges camp response basically saying there not going to do the VADA testing)

Sent: Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:52 PM

To: Keith Kizer

Cc: Michael Mersch; Firas; Ted

Subject: Re: RE:

Hello all,

We spoke with Georges today and he took his decision so for your information, Georges has decided that if Johny Hendricks does not want to do VADA and prefers your proposed enhanced steroid and drug testing by the Nevada Athletic Commission, Georges will also do it, in addition to VADA.

I will be out of the office without access to email or voicemail until Aug. 27th but in the meantime, please provide us with all documentation, a detailed invoice and payment instructions necessary to proceed with such enhanced steroid and drug testing by the Commission.

Best regards

Rodolphe

AV by Det_Kimble

Last edited by HiMyNameIs; 09-11-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Homeless Infant
Sherdogs Neighborhood Friendly Homeless Antagonist

Location: Playing Keyboard Warrior on downtown public library PC.

"You think i'm just going to sit there & let you kill me, Jon? I mean really?" - Daniel Cormier

"I hate being sober." - drunk Blake Bortles
Homeless Infant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
HiMyNameIs

Blue Belt

The whole thing is super sketchy on GSPs part imo. No wonder Johny Hendricks hasn't signed up yet

AV by Det_Kimble
Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Homeless Infant
Sherdogs Neighborhood Friendly Homeless Antagonist

Location: Playing Keyboard Warrior on downtown public library PC.
Not even sure what I read.

"You think i'm just going to sit there & let you kill me, Jon? I mean really?" - Daniel Cormier

"I hate being sober." - drunk Blake Bortles
Homeless Infant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
LatFlare

Brown Belt

Cliffs?

Maximum effort is the minimum standard

LatFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
HiMyNameIs

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Infant View Post
Not even sure what I read.
Check out the article... Kizers answers to those emails are bolded. i need to edit the post

AV by Det_Kimble
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
HiMyNameIs

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatFlare View Post
Cliffs?
Basically GSP wanted to do this whole VADA testing thing but, before it all gets underway him and his camp start e-mailing keith kizer asking all these crazy questions like, what specifically is going to be tested for and when the test is going to be.

theres a lot more to it... but basically kizer says if you know when the test is going to be then its not random... you might as well just go with the commissioned drug tests before and after the fight...

like GSP and his camp are hiding something

AV by Det_Kimble
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
casnow

Purple Belt

I actually think GSP comes out looking the better for this - he has agreed to testing, and wants to know the procedures. What is wrong with that? The fact that he is willing to PAY to be randomly tested shows his commitment to proving that he is clean.

casnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Free_MMAson
Banned

GSP's side has already stated they will agree to any testing - VADA, WADA and Firas joked even NASA could do testing if they want. Asking questions is just that, seeking information. There could be a 100 different reasons why they want to know more about the testing -- health, additional costs, etc.

Free_MMAson is offline   Reply With Quote