Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #31
CuePee**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
OK, I read one of your long piece about weight/muscle gaining in another thread already. Enough with that.

Regardless of GSP being able to gain 5-10 lbs or not, he'll most likely be outweighed by Anderson any way at a straight MW bout, no? So at least with this scenerio (200 lbs limit on fight night) he knows Anderson can't be any more than 200 lbs, so he'll know what to shoot for too... or at least he'll know how much he will give up, if any.

Would GSP's chances be quite good to beat Anderson then if he comes in around 195 lbs whereas Anderson is at 200 lbs?
The athletic commission would not allow the 200 lb limit so the question is moot. They set the weigh in weight and not the in cage weight.

That said a catchweight fight at 178lbs would pretty much do what you say. Both Anderson and GSP would be cutting weight to make 178 and both can only regain so much after. GSP would almost certainly be cutting from around 190lbs and would regain almost all of it. Anderson would cut from slightly higher and liekly regain slightly more but not a lot. I think this fight would see GSP at 190lbs and Anderson at around 195. A fight where no one can claim weight is a factor that advantages either unfairly over the other.

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #32
CuePee**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
I'm not here to fight or dispute your statement,,, but could part of the reason why GSP only gained 1.5 lbs/year is because he tries to limit himself to the 170 mark? Maybe this is more a relation to or a function of weightcutting (how much weight to gain and still be able to hit the 170 mark) rather than flat out trying to gain muscle mass, but can't?

I don't know the answer. I'm just throwing something out there that could be a possibility also.
GSP has said for about a year that he wants to gain some more weight for WW and seems ok with the idea of moving up to MW if he finds himself unable to make the cut comfortably.

He has a nutritionist and work out routine geared to him gaining weight.

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #33
CuePee**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Balm View Post
I wish the weight wouldn't be such an issue for GSP. He is a perfectionist and he has his right to stay at welterweight, but I wish he would move to middleweight eventually.


it has nothing to do with being a perfectionist as it does in removing excuses from the fight and being your best for the division.

It is about not giving your opponents artificial or unnecessary advantages.

If I had the choice between a WW GSP fighting Anderson and a MW GSP fighting Anderson I want the MW one to fight him. I don't want a built in excuse if he loses and to hear "well if GSP had taken the time to put on 10-15 more lbs he would have beat him" I don't want to hear after a loss that GSP is still better.

If GSP's body can accomodate the weight and he can beat Anderson or the top MW's with it then lets see...no excuses. If his body puts on the weight and he does not adjust and loses then we know the best GSP at MW is not as good as the other MW's. No excuses. We know that although he was the best WW he was not suited for MW. Again no excuses.

I admire that a lot more then a guy who moves up and whose fans will proclaim him best, win or lose. That is a cop out to me. Fighting with a built in excuse.

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #34
MontrealMauler

Gold Belt
 
MontrealMauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 21,215
vCash: 500
You can't just start making up rules for individual fights. This isn't Japan.

As much as we would all love a scale ringside, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

__________________
"I chose to do this sport and now I choose not too. Mentally, it's a lot of pressure. No one can understand it but me." - @GeorgesStPierre
MontrealMauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #35
CuePee**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBJJallDay View Post
Agreed the "just put on 5-10 lbs" satement was dense.

However, there is no evidence to suggest that, IF having 6 months to prepare for a MW fight, GSP could not pack on a few more pounds. What also needs to be noted, that you ALWAYS ignore, is that GSP is trying to put on functional weight, but STILL be able to make WW.

If the was having a full camp (6 months), and KNEW he would never need to make the cut to 170, it is VERY reasonable that he could be ~195 on fight night at MW.

As you said, he was able to hit 194 leading into Hardy, and made his "final cut" from 188. GSP would only be cutting 9-10 lbs from 195, which would be a VERY easy cut in comparison to 18 lbs in 48 hours.
Nope. GSp peaked at 194 but could not hold the weight. He wanted to but could not. he seems to have hit a wall and plateaud at 190lbs. It happens.

there is no evidence and to the contrary lots of evidence he cannot simply get up to, and hold 195lbs. It is pretty clear that he would happily make the cut to WW now from 195 if he could keep the weight. Thus in cage he would be 190+ instead of the 189- he has been.

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #36
CuePee**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyJERZEY View Post
Anderson has weighed in at 182 for ufc championship fights before
You say fights so which ones? As far as I can see he only over shot one time against Leites.


UFC 67:185

UFC 67 Weigh-In Results - MMA on Tap

UFC 73: 184.5
(oh and Nate Marquardt was 182.5, he must be a small MW like Anderson too )

- UFC 73 WEIGH-IN RESULTS & PHOTOS | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 77: 184.5

UFC 77 Weigh In Results - UFC Results

UFC 82: 185

Silva, Henderson Make Weight

UFC 90: 184

UFC 90 official weigh-in results (updated) | MMAjunkie.com

Official UFC 97 Weigh-In Results
Main Event UFC Middleweight Championship
Thales Leites (185) vs Anderson Silva (182)

UFC 97 REDEMPTION Anderson Silva Vs Thales Leites Weigh In Results LAS VEGAS REAL ESTATE | HOMES FOR SALE IN LAS VEGAS | LAS VEGAS NEW HOME


UFC 112:185

UFC 112 weigh-in results: All fighters on weight, including Silva (185) and Maia (184) | MMAjunkie.com

UFC 117: 184.5

UFC 117 Weigh-In Results - Watch Kalib Run

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #37
Toneyfan***
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Hey, a few of you guys brought up the idea of a catchweight fight, 177 lbs(?), between GSP and A Silva. But what about just say that they both must weigh no more than 200 lbs on fight night?

Why I bring this up? Because lastnight when watching MMA Connected with Showdown Joe I saw a little clip about GSP's fight with Koscheck in Montreal and it showed him gaining 17.5 lbs in 4 hrs time after the official weigh-in.

So if GSP can basically be around 190 lbs come fight night as a WW he can pretty much just gain another 5-10 lbs of muscles in several months and fight Anderson Silva at a 200 lbs on fight night... Pretty sure Anderson won't mind the 200 limit. Obviously the commision must regulate and watch their weights, especially Anderson's, very carefully that one of them (or both of them) doesn't surpass 200 come fight day.

How would the fight play out then if this is the scenerio?... At worst GSP will only give up 0/5-10 lbs in this setup.

Why would anyone think gaining five or ten pounds is going to make a difference? If GSP can't beat Silva weighing 190 pounds (which he can't), he isn't going to beat him weighing 200 pounds either. GSP isn't going to beat Silva if he's 250 lbs. I like GSP, but he just doesn't have the size to beat Silva. Silva is a big middleweight and GSP, by his own admission, and by just looking at him, is an average sized welterweight. Silva is about 4 or 5 inches taller and has fought easily at 205 and looked almost as big as Forrest.

Toneyfan*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #38
CuePee**
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhouseMMA View Post
anderson can't make 170 and shouldn't. Anderson has moved up before its gsp's turn
There is no turn.

Anderson body has grown in musculature and size. Accordingly he has moved up as it did. the exact same thing GSp has said he would do as his body gains more size.

Anderson started at a 168 lb WW and can no longer make that weight and has since fought at MW. However he admits that making the cut to MW is now more difficult for him then making the CUT to LHW. That is why he began testing himself at LHW as he was not enjoying the cut to MW as much any more and feels more suited to LHW.

If GSP still feels best suited for WW he has no obligation to move up because Anderson out grew WW and is out growing MW.

If GSp wants to fight Anderson or calls him out then for sure he should go up. But otherwise there is no 'turn'.

CuePee** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #39
GracieBJJallDay**
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuePee View Post
Which Kos fight? THe last one?

Showdown Joe had footage of GSp's group betting on his weight just before the Kos fight and him stepping on two scales to confirm it. He was 187.5 lbs on both scales.

Anderson does not cut a lot of water in the tradional sense. He talks about not liking extreme water cuts. SO instead he starts to vary his diet and undertakes pretty tough dieting weeks out before the fight. He completely diminishes his carbs and carb intake which is a way of reducing a lot of water weight, leading up to the fight in a less extreme way. Carbs are mostly water.

But that means after weigh ins much of Anderson carb caused water weight is regained by simply carb loading. Between that and his whatever he regains from his cut weight due regular water loss and it is not hard to think Anderson probably regains more weight then the guy who just does a regular water cut and is only regaining as much of that as he can.

Anderson himself now talks about the CUT to LHW being easier on him then the cut to MW. So lets not pretend, for one instant that he is not a very big MW.
This is pure speculation on CuePee's part as usual.

State things as fact, when you have NO CLUE what Anderson does.

The only factual part is where Anderson talks about how he hates cutting water.

The other fact conveniently left out, is that Anderson was 192 TWO WEEKS before the Maia fight. Even if what CuePee speculates is true (He uses extreme dieting over the last two weeks), he is only shedding ~7 pounds in those two weeks.

That's only 3.6% of his body weight.

Where GSP said he cut from 188 vs. Hardy, in TWO DAYS. (almost 10%)

If you use your brain, and understand weight cutting, one would realize that Anderson's "final cut" is about ONE THIRD as much weight as GSP.

Reality sucks though, so expect CuePee, or one of his gimps, to find a way to diminish what I said.


Last edited by GracieBJJallDay**; 12-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.
GracieBJJallDay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #40
GracieBJJallDay**
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuePee View Post
There is no turn.

Anderson body has grown in musculature and size. Accordingly he has moved up as it did. the exact same thing GSp has said he would do as his body gains more size.

Anderson started at a 168 lb WW and can no longer make that weight and has since fought at MW. However he admits that making the cut to MW is now more difficult for him then making the CUT to LHW. That is why he began testing himself at LHW as he was not enjoying the cut to MW as much any more and feels more suited to LHW.

If GSP still feels best suited for WW he has no obligation to move up because Anderson out grew WW and is out growing MW.

If GSp wants to fight Anderson or calls him out then for sure he should go up. But otherwise there is no 'turn'.
LMAO @ Anderson "outgrowing" MW. He hasn't put on any noticable mass in YEARS.

He is getting OLD, and does not want to deal with doing any "final cuts".

His muscles have gotten marginally bigger since fighting Okami, when he was already 30 years old. He just knows his skills will allow him to not be as big as his opponents, and still win. Something GSP is not confident in.

GracieBJJallDay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"