Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
warrior of ruin

Green Belt

vCash: 500
GSP on retirement

UFC champ St-Pierre would consider retirement after Silva win, top-fighter ranking - UFC - Yahoo! Canada Sports

anyone read this? i checked a few pages and did not see it posted so thought i would post it.

I will be happy when this new tuf season has come and gone, Then GSP will do what we all know he will...beat the fuck out of Kos... and then we can get back to dreaming of better possible superfights (yea i know long time coming / if ever). I will just be sad if Georges has to defend his title again and again against people he has already beat.

I guess one more WW title fight after Kos would be good to break Hughes record, but then i hope he moves up...please Georges do it for the mic'ster (mickey rooney)

Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
facedancer
Warning: ***hole

I have no interest in seeing St Pierre fight Anderson in the twilight of his career.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
superfanboy
Banned

he better stop looking past Kos. Kos has the tools to beat GSP. decisively i might add... More power on the standup and equivalent wrestling. (Kos only had 2 weeks to prepare for their 1st fight im pretty sure and was still able to take GSP down in the 1st round)

superfanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
CompleteMMAnut

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by facedancer View Post
I have no interest in seeing St Pierre fight Anderson in the twilight of his career.
I do. It's not like GSP will be to worn down a couple years from now. He's retiring because he's accomplished what he set out to do, not because he's old. Sure his career is ending, but that doesn't necessarily come with his decline in ability.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
facedancer
Warning: ***hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteMMAnut View Post
I do. It's not like GSP will be to worn down a couple years from now. He's retiring because he's accomplished what he set out to do, not because he's old. Sure his career is ending, but that doesn't necessarily come with his decline in ability.
Anderson, not GSP

Old 07-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
MarcoDrizzy**
Banned

im sure they wont even fight

anderson keeps getting Mw's
and gsp has rematches to take care of..

MarcoDrizzy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
peytonlucy

Red Belt

Whether it's boxing or MMA, talking about retirement is always a distraction.

peytonlucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
KeNPoWeRs

Orange Belt

if G had BJ's attitude of fighting anybody,anywhere,at any weight combined with his skills it would go alot farther towards cementing the legacy that he is so concerned with.he just plays it too safe,and thats his right,but if he wants to talk about being the greatest pound4pound of all time(modest aspiration) then he needs to risk a little more

Always supporting:

BJ Penn
Nick Diaz
Shogun
Fedor
KeNPoWeRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Stungun101

Red Belt

Never knew fighters believed in subjective P4P rankings. Given that it is all opinion, I guess GSP's judgment will be the standard. This doesn't change that it is a relative standard, not an objective one.

One can be P4P no.1 for 5 seconds before being dethroned by someone else (or falling off the list completely, according to Sherdog.com).

GSP has said shit like this before, like "I might wrestle in the Olympics" giving us glimpses of potential "What if" futures that never ever come to pass. He later corrects himself in a "I never said..." type fashion, and when this happens here again, no one will be amused at his naive comments.

If GSP wants a more objective standard: retire when you defend your title via (non-cut) stoppage three times in a row. Anderson did it 6~7 times, you should be able to manage half, amirite?

"Who wants 72 virgins? If you want to reward me, give me 72 sluts. " ~ Captain Davis
Stungun101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
GSPFan #1

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfanboy View Post
he better stop looking past Kos. Kos has the tools to beat GSP. decisively i might add... More power on the standup and equivalent wrestling. (Kos only had 2 weeks to prepare for their 1st fight im pretty sure and was still able to take GSP down in the 1st round)
That was the alves fight he only had two weeks to prepare for, he had a full 8 week camp for the GSP fight, and he didn't take down St. pierre pre se, he transitioned from the ground to a single leg, while both were on the ground and was able to finish the reversal.

so he's never full out taken down st. pierre, like before that will be koschecks best chance of getting st pierre down is a reversal from being on his back himself.

GSPFan #1 is offline   Reply With Quote