Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Type Raba

vCash:
Fighting just to get the win is ruining mma

im losing interest in mma. i see more and more "strategy" and less actual fighting. tonight's main event was just another example in a long line of recent crap fights where people dont take risks because they are afraid to fail. getting cut for losing discourages people from taking risks. getting a shitty contract because you lost your last fight discourages people from taking risks. fighters should have the job security to go out there, try exciting stuff and know that if it doesnt work, you still have a job tomorrow and will try it again next time. bad analogy but its like a baseball player that gets fired for trying to hit a home run instead of just making contact and getting on base. its like a basketball player that gets fired for taking too many 3 pt attempts. its like a football player that gets fired for throwing risky long passes, etc. the ufc breeds a "winning is all that matters mentality". the result? shitty fights and fighters that "play the game" to just get the W.

just listen to bendo in the post fight. he was asked if edgar's "elusiveness" affected his game, and bendo flat out said he probably wasnt as aggressive because of it. what can a guy do when his opponent is intent on dancing around with "good footwork"?? maynard went nuts trying to get guida to fight. is that what fighters have to resort to in today's mma?

you can call me a just bleed kinda fan all you want. i just want to get my money's worth and be entertained... god i miss pride...

Last edited by Type Raba; 08-12-2012 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
76Knockout

Red Belt

vCash: 500
You think the main event was a crap fight?

Wasn't a FOY candidate but it was a decent competitive fight IMO.

And the different strategies fighters employ against different opponents is one of my favorite aspects of MMA personally.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
CalSand

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type Raba View Post
im losing interest in mma.
Mostly I agree. Point fighting is one of those things we didn't but perhaps should have seen coming.

Bonuses for exciting fights and finishes have helped, but there's still too much at risk for some fighters.

I don't think it will quickly change, but neither will my opinion that it's sometimes BOOORRRING.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #4
BayStyles

Black Belt

Well, that's the way it's going to be. This isn't just a street fight to the death. It's a sport, in which people are employees and get money for performance. You have to fight smart. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for fighters who lay it all out there win or lose, but there's no problem with fighting smart and fighting with a gameplan (unless the gameplan is to not engage at all i.e Guida Vs. Maynard)

Jon "Psychotic Undertone" Jones
Conor "Anti Wrestlefuck" McGregor
Nick "Uneducated Fool" Diaz
BayStyles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Lucifer Alpha

vCash: 50
Yea, it was great back when Tim Sylvia reigned over the UFC.

youtu.be/AJXoaErl8Jg
Lucifer Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Raylan

Brown Belt

I think you mean fighting not to lose.

Raylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
GoobyPls**
Banned

I was just a little angry at how slow it was. At least when I watch Cruz (one of my favorite fighters) he is always pressing the action even if he is winning.

GoobyPls** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
TKimble

Blue Belt

Last edited by TKimble; 08-12-2012 at 01:50 AM.
TKimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #9
EliteLurker

Black Belt

Yes watching overweight HW's throw hays is more fun than a great competitive highly technical LW fight. Almost every casual fan i've ever watched mma with, has been totally impressed with how fast and fluid LW's move, and always seem turned off by sloppy brawls.

EliteLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
iNoScopedJFK
TUF Noob

Cant wait till you lose complete interest. then you will stop making threads

The TUF Noob King will reign supreme.
iNoScopedJFK is offline   Reply With Quote