Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt
 
Infernal Azazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Do Your Remember Anderson Wanting To Fight Heavyweight?

I sure do. All these crazy claims of laying waste to LHW and HW before he retires, among other ridiculous things. He seemed pretty honest and eager about it too.

Then Chael happens. Now he wants GSP to move up and meet him. And when it comes to Shogun, he's "fine with his weight class". Not to mention the talk about retiring.

I'm not hating on Anderson, but geez, with all the Anderson fans calling out GSP for not moving up, at least he never made repeated false claims stating he was gonna jump two divisions.

And Anderson didn't even lose. Chael really must have had a lasting effect.

__________________
Blah.

Last edited by Infernal Azazel; 03-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Infernal Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
cavedog424

Purple Belt
 
cavedog424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,018
vCash: 500
completely agree TS. All that talk stopped after machida lost and suddenly he didn't have his code of honor excuse to hide behind. If he moved up again people would want him to fight a top 5 guy and go for the title.

__________________
Supporting: GSP, Forrest, Shogun, Florian, Rampage, Marquardt, and Fitch.
cavedog424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
GracieBJJallDay**
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Azazel View Post
I sure do. All these crazy claims of laying waste to LHW and HW before he retires, among other ridiculous things. He seemed pretty honest and eager about it too.

Then Chael happens. Now he wants GSP to move up and meet him. And when it comes to Shogun, he's "fine with his weight class". Not to mention the talk about retiring.

I'm not hating on Anderson, but geez, with all the Anderson fans calling out GSP for not moving up, at least he never made false claims stating he was gonna jump two divisions.

And Anderson didn't even lose. Chael really must have had a lasting effect.

Yeah, NO. It should read:

Then Dana White happens.

After the Maia fight, in the PFPC, Dana said that Anderson does not deserve GSP (they were supposed to fight at 170 if Anderson won). Then Dana is asked about 205, and he CLEARLY says that Anderson cannot fight outside 185 unless he vacates his title, and all his running reccords as champ, and makes a permanent move to 205. Kind of a BS move on Dana's part, as he has never forced a champion to do such a thing if they want to fight at a different class.

In fact, Dana praised BJ for wanting to have both belts, and defend them both.
- PENN TO DEFEND BOTH TITLES IF HE BEATS ST. PIERRE | MMAWeekly.com

How would Anderson respond if Dana went on record and said that he changed his mind, and he would allow Anderson to fight outside 185, but keep his belt and records? Who knows.

Don't pretend the Chael fight did this, as Anderson was already changing his tune about fighting outside 185 right after that PFPC from 112.

GracieBJJallDay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Subacid

Purple Belt
 
Subacid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure AS would dominate most LHWs or HWs. Even some in the top 5.

__________________
Top 3 favs: A. Silva - Machida - Fedor
Subacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt
 
Infernal Azazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBJJallDay View Post
Yeah, NO. It should read:

Then Dana White happens.

After the Maia fight, in the PFPC, Dana said that Anderson does not deserve GSP (they were supposed to fight at 170 if Anderson won). Then Dana is asked about 205, and he CLEARLY says that Anderson cannot fight outside 185 unless he vacates his title, and all his running reccords as champ, and makes a permanent move to 205. Kind of a BS move on Dana's part, as he has never forced a champion to do such a thing if they want to fight at a different class.

In fact, Dana praised BJ for wanting to have both belts, and defend them both.
- PENN TO DEFEND BOTH TITLES IF HE BEATS ST. PIERRE | MMAWeekly.com

How would Anderson respond if Dana went on record and said that he changed his mind, and he would allow Anderson to fight outside 185, but keep his belt and records? Who knows.

Don't pretend the Chael fight did this, as Anderson was already changing his tune about fighting outside 185 right after that PFPC from 112.
Well, I honestly didn't know all that. Thanks for the info. Although this was more or less directed towards the Anderson fans harping on GSP.

I honestly can't decide whether Dana likes or hates Anderson. He praises him as the best pound for pound, but treats him pretty badly.

__________________
Blah.
Infernal Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Peteyandjia
"the human spirit is more powerful than any drug"
 
Peteyandjia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mountain Bar
Posts: 46,179
vCash: 500
Anderson doesn't want to challenge himself.

It's as simple as that.

__________________
"I can't decide if I like fighting better or dancing. I think dancing." - Genki Sudo
"War in the ring, peace on Earth." - Wanderlei Silva
twitter @Peteyandjia
Peteyandjia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
AIM9192***
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Funny enough, I remember GSP hinting at a potential fight with Chuck Liddell after he beat Hughes the first time. He explicitly said that he had plans to move up.

Then Matt Serra happened...

AIM9192*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt
 
Infernal Azazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyandjia View Post
Anderson doesn't want to challenge himself.

It's as simple as that.
Buy platinum again. You don't have the same important presence now as you did when you were green. :p

__________________
Blah.
Infernal Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
jaysinleigh
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
He'll retire before he risks adding another loss to his record by fighting Shogun or any heavyweight. That's just who Anderson is- he's like Floyd Mayweather.

jaysinleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt
 
Infernal Azazel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM9192 View Post
Funny enough, I remember GSP hinting at a potential fight with Chuck Liddell after he beat Hughes the first time. He explicitly said that he had plans to move up.

Then Matt Serra happened...
This, I don't believe at all. But, if you can provide me with an interview or something, I'll eat my own words.

__________________
Blah.
Infernal Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"