Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Do Your Remember Anderson Wanting To Fight Heavyweight?

I sure do. All these crazy claims of laying waste to LHW and HW before he retires, among other ridiculous things. He seemed pretty honest and eager about it too.

Then Chael happens. Now he wants GSP to move up and meet him. And when it comes to Shogun, he's "fine with his weight class". Not to mention the talk about retiring.

I'm not hating on Anderson, but geez, with all the Anderson fans calling out GSP for not moving up, at least he never made repeated false claims stating he was gonna jump two divisions.

And Anderson didn't even lose. Chael really must have had a lasting effect.

Last edited by Infernal Azazel; 03-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Infernal Azazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
cavedog424

Purple Belt

completely agree TS. All that talk stopped after machida lost and suddenly he didn't have his code of honor excuse to hide behind. If he moved up again people would want him to fight a top 5 guy and go for the title.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
GracieBJJallDay**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Azazel View Post
I sure do. All these crazy claims of laying waste to LHW and HW before he retires, among other ridiculous things. He seemed pretty honest and eager about it too.

Then Chael happens. Now he wants GSP to move up and meet him. And when it comes to Shogun, he's "fine with his weight class". Not to mention the talk about retiring.

I'm not hating on Anderson, but geez, with all the Anderson fans calling out GSP for not moving up, at least he never made false claims stating he was gonna jump two divisions.

And Anderson didn't even lose. Chael really must have had a lasting effect.

Yeah, NO. It should read:

Then Dana White happens.

After the Maia fight, in the PFPC, Dana said that Anderson does not deserve GSP (they were supposed to fight at 170 if Anderson won). Then Dana is asked about 205, and he CLEARLY says that Anderson cannot fight outside 185 unless he vacates his title, and all his running reccords as champ, and makes a permanent move to 205. Kind of a BS move on Dana's part, as he has never forced a champion to do such a thing if they want to fight at a different class.

In fact, Dana praised BJ for wanting to have both belts, and defend them both.
- PENN TO DEFEND BOTH TITLES IF HE BEATS ST. PIERRE | MMAWeekly.com

How would Anderson respond if Dana went on record and said that he changed his mind, and he would allow Anderson to fight outside 185, but keep his belt and records? Who knows.

Don't pretend the Chael fight did this, as Anderson was already changing his tune about fighting outside 185 right after that PFPC from 112.

GracieBJJallDay** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Subacid

Purple Belt

I'm pretty sure AS would dominate most LHWs or HWs. Even some in the top 5.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieBJJallDay View Post
Yeah, NO. It should read:

Then Dana White happens.

After the Maia fight, in the PFPC, Dana said that Anderson does not deserve GSP (they were supposed to fight at 170 if Anderson won). Then Dana is asked about 205, and he CLEARLY says that Anderson cannot fight outside 185 unless he vacates his title, and all his running reccords as champ, and makes a permanent move to 205. Kind of a BS move on Dana's part, as he has never forced a champion to do such a thing if they want to fight at a different class.

In fact, Dana praised BJ for wanting to have both belts, and defend them both.
- PENN TO DEFEND BOTH TITLES IF HE BEATS ST. PIERRE | MMAWeekly.com

How would Anderson respond if Dana went on record and said that he changed his mind, and he would allow Anderson to fight outside 185, but keep his belt and records? Who knows.

Don't pretend the Chael fight did this, as Anderson was already changing his tune about fighting outside 185 right after that PFPC from 112.
Well, I honestly didn't know all that. Thanks for the info. Although this was more or less directed towards the Anderson fans harping on GSP.

I honestly can't decide whether Dana likes or hates Anderson. He praises him as the best pound for pound, but treats him pretty badly.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Peteyandjia
"the human spirit is more powerful than any drug"

Anderson doesn't want to challenge himself.

It's as simple as that.

Peteyandjia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
AIM9192***
Banned

Funny enough, I remember GSP hinting at a potential fight with Chuck Liddell after he beat Hughes the first time. He explicitly said that he had plans to move up.

Then Matt Serra happened...

AIM9192*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyandjia View Post
Anderson doesn't want to challenge himself.

It's as simple as that.
Buy platinum again. You don't have the same important presence now as you did when you were green. :p

Old 03-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
jaysinleigh
Banned

He'll retire before he risks adding another loss to his record by fighting Shogun or any heavyweight. That's just who Anderson is- he's like Floyd Mayweather.

jaysinleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Infernal Azazel

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM9192 View Post
Funny enough, I remember GSP hinting at a potential fight with Chuck Liddell after he beat Hughes the first time. He explicitly said that he had plans to move up.

Then Matt Serra happened...
This, I don't believe at all. But, if you can provide me with an interview or something, I'll eat my own words.