Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

View Poll Results: How does Jones do at HW?
Jones would be a title contender at HW. 194 27.56%
Jones would be a mid-level HW. 329 46.73%
Jones would get smashed at HW. 181 25.71%
Voters: 704. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
Peteyandjia
ded flores

vCash: 500
Did Gusta Shatter the Idea That Jones Could Easily Compete At HW?

I mean, Jones' first opponent where he finally didn't have a dominant height & reach advantage, and here he had the toughest fight of his life. Don't get me wrong, Jones is very talented and may move up someday, but before this fight a lot of people were talking like maybe he could just move up and breeze through everyone at HW, and be up there fighting for the title with Cain and JDS in no time.

Does this skin-of-his-teeth fight with Gustafsson destroy that idea? To me it does. Jones clearly belongs at LHW, I think he gets smashed by guys like Travis Browne and Bigfoot, much less the top of the division like Cain and JDS. What do you think?

Peteyandjia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
The5thgod

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyandjia View Post
I mean, Jones' first opponent where he finally didn't have a dominant height & reach advantage, and here he had the toughest fight of his life. Don't get me wrong, Jones is very talented and may move up someday, but before this fight a lot of people were talking like maybe he could just move up and breeze through everyone at HW, and be up there fighting for the title with Cain and JDS in no time.

Does this skin-of-his-teeth fight with Gustafsson destroy that idea? To me it does. Jones clearly belongs at LHW, I think he gets smashed by guys like Travis Browne and Bigfoot, much less the top of the division like Cain and JDS. What do you think?
I was already doubting the idea of him being successful at HW, but what Gus did to him pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Cygnus-X

Black Belt

I fail to see how it changes anything. Jon Jones is still favored to beat everyone except the top 2-3 HWs, which is a bit harder to gauge.

Gustafsson is a great fighter and there is very few at HW that could do what he does. He himself could probably do great things at HW.

Cygnus-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
memling

Blue Belt

Not really. Jones could still likely beat a big chunk of the heavyweight division. IMO it is unknown how he would ever match up against the very elite because he would need a few fights in the division first before he'd be ready to go up against them anyways. But with the right matchmaking he could definitely go on a 3 fight streak in heavyweight and be ready to be talked about in the contention for that title. People have to understand that it would still take him a long time(years) to transition properly from 205 to 265 weight wise.

memling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Hanri
Fedor

Little bit. I thought he would easily be top 5 HW, but now i have some doubts. I still think he would do well.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
MikeCandler

Black Belt

I always felt Jones would struggle at HW regardless, still think he would be a top 10 guy however.

That said I am not sure the Gus fight really changes my thinking, who knows it could have been an off night, maybe Gus is better than some people gave him credit for, who knows really.

Sick of watered down MMA? Email Keith Kizer at kkizer@boxing.nv.gov and get knees on the ground legalized!
MikeCandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
muscari

Green Belt

vCash: 551
Well, Gus has speed and cardio that no HW has combined. I mean, I could see Jones beating the crap out of middle tier guys at heavyweight, but he's never going to compete with the likes of JDS or Cain.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
GrindingANARCHY
AV by Lethal

vCash: 5572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyandjia View Post

I've always said JDS, Cain, Werdum & DC all beat him at HW. Throw in Barnett as well.
Would be interesting to see but I doubt he moves up now. Gustafsson has scared him straight, which will be the destruction of his next opponent.

GrindingANARCHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
AndrewGolota48

Black Belt

He would have serious trouble standing with Mitrione, seriously. In that particular fight he'd easily win by sub but it still shows how different things would be for him at HW.

AndrewGolota48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
DetroitRob

Green Belt

vCash: 2712
HW is thin on talent so you could argue that he would be a contender but he would no longer be the overwhelming favorite in these fights. I would hate to see Jones vs JDS, he may suffer brain damage from that fight. JDS power and speed would destroy him

DetroitRob is offline   Reply With Quote