Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Billy Age 12

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Dana All Over GSP Again For Ducking Superfight!

Quote:
Dana White Says GSP is “Crazy ” For Taking Hendricks Fight Over Anderson Silva Fight

There has been a lot of talks over the last couple of years about a “super fight” between UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre. However, as abundant and frequent as those talks were, the fight has never come to fruition. The reason why? GSP doesn’t think he’s a big enough man to fight and defeat the much bigger Anderson Silva.
Point taken.

But that still doesn’t mean we’re going to let GSP off the hook about the situation. He’s arguably one of the greatest fighters we’ve ever seen in MMA and he’s only a weight class separated from Silva, a man that has rightfully earned the title of GOAT (for now). And it would only make sense that GSP would want to test himself against the best in the world, especially after he’s stated over and over again that he wants to be considered the best fighter in the world.

The other reason, which I believe Dana is speaking up about this more and more is that Anderson actually has an opponent that could possibly defeat him and therefore diminish the idea of a super fight. Obviously this won't be the case tonight though. Andy gonna give Weidman a nice beating.

Instead of taking the “super fight” with Silva after he defeated Nick Diaz in his last title defense, GSP opted to take a fight with number one welterweight contender, Johny Hendricks. That decision baffled UFC president Dana White. He commented on the issue in a recent interview with MMA Weekly. Here is what White had to say:

“At the end of the day he weighs 170 pounds. He’s a 170-pounder. If he weighed 185 pounds and felt that way I’d be real pissed. ‘I’m the man here at 170. If I thought I was the man at 185 I’d be at 185.’ I get it, but it’s a fight that a lot of fans want to see. It’s a big fight. It’s a legacy fight. It’s a fight for the pound-for-pound best in the world. What’s crazy to me is GSP opted to take a very dangerous fight at 170 without trying to take a dangerous fight at 185.”

White makes a good point, but we can also see where St. Pierre is coming from as well. So what do you think about the situation, fight fans? Do you agree with Dana White and think GSP missed out on an amazing opportunity by passing up the Silva fight or do you think he made the right decision and a fight with Hendricks was the best move for his careeer? Lets hear your opinions, Penn Nation. Sound off!

Read more at http://www.bjpenn.com/dana-white-say...AGfBwiitphH.99 - See more at: http://www.bjpenn.com/dana-white-say....XILhGxV1.dpuf
The thing I'm happy about is that the UFC has been trying to get GSP to do what the fans want. That is probably one of Dana's best attributes, he does what the fans want. He even went on to go get Fedor at ridiculous amounts of money several times. It's nice to see GSP being pressured, even by the UFC.

Moreover, there seems to be a sense of urgency with Dana on this superfight matter. I think he knows that Weidman is a real threat, and the chance of Andy losing at this age is increasing. This is why he most likely keeps bringing up GSP. Anyway, looking forward to the beating Andy gives Weidman tonight.

Last edited by Billy Age 12; 07-06-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Billy Age 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
tgo007

Brown Belt

gsp obviously doesn't perceive hendricks as big of a threat compared to silva.

dana is saying both anderson and hendricks are threats so take the super fight, but hendricks =/= silva

tgo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
EndlessCritic

Red Belt

in gsp's defense, people would be pissed if hendricks had to fight someone else.

EndlessCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
War War
Banned

GSP's been ducking Silva for years now. Nothing new here.

War War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
MMAFanatic86

Brown Belt

Would be fun to see gsp get knocked out stiff by Hendricks after all this.

MMAFanatic86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
The Aviator**
Banned

GSP is his own man. He's not a puppet.

The Aviator** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
PRIDEWASBETTER
Future Director of SHIELD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessCritic View Post
in gsp's defense, people would be pissed if hendricks had to fight someone else.
This. The poor guy can't win either way.

Austin 3:16
PRIDEWASBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
War War
Banned

Anyhow the blame should be on Dana White since he insists on fighters moving to another weight category instead of making a catchweight.

War War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
runfrumu

vCash: 904
I don't understand the need or desire to have 2 champs from different weight classes fight each other. It's really a no win for either. If Anderson wins, he beat a smaller guy, if GSP wins, it makes all the middleweight look weak.

runfrumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Chicken lips

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by War War View Post
Anyhow the blame should be on Dana White since he insists on fighters moving to another weight category instead of making a catchweight.
Maybee Dana should try not to throw his fighters Under the bus every time he talks.

Chicken lips is offline   Reply With Quote