Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Spiderbite

Blue Belt
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 844
vCash: 50
Obviously Shogun would be in the mix along with Rampage, But i don't know if Chuck wouldn't have been champ. Granted he lost to Rampage, but with that said, back then Chuck was a fucking beast. Granite chin and cinder blocks for fists.
War Chuck....Always.

Spiderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Uchi Mata

Red Belt
 
Uchi Mata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 8,246
vCash: 446
I think Shogun and prime Wandy would have beaten him, though I'm not sure if Wandy would have been able to do so without PEDs. I don't think Rampage would have ever been able to do it without PEDs. To me, that's such a a huge asterisk with any UFC-PRIDE comparison just because you saw so many of those guys come to the PED regulated environment of the UFC and not really perform at the same level.

I'm not trying to fighter bash and I certainly don't know anything about any individual fighter cases, but PEDs were so endemic in Japan at the time that I think it's a reasonable assumption that at least some of these guys helped their careers a great deal with pharmaceuticals (which were not against the rules, at least de facto).

__________________
I don't know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there - Kurt Vonnegut
Uchi Mata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
JohnSAFTAHess
Dudikoff Belt
 
JohnSAFTAHess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroHa View Post
Prime Wand did very well on the feet against Cro Cop and Hunt wasn't able to put him out even though he hit him with some of his best shots. I just feel that Chuck was never really tested against elite guys with great striking in UFC like Wand was in Pride.
Love Chuck, but I agree with this 100%

__________________
-Adebisi lives!!
JohnSAFTAHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
JKS

Steel Belt
 
JKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,294
vCash: 500
That would be interesting!! The lhw division in the UFC would have been much stronger. And the same means for guys like Tito and randy at lhw. I don't think they would have as much success

__________________
Win/Lose always in support of my fav fighters

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
FishinWithFredo

Purple Belt
 
FishinWithFredo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: 4th Chamber
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchi Mata View Post
I think Shogun and prime Wandy would have beaten him, though I'm not sure if Wandy would have been able to do so without PEDs. I don't think Rampage would have ever been able to do it without PEDs. To me, that's such a a huge asterisk with any UFC-PRIDE comparison just because you saw so many of those guys come to the PED regulated environment of the UFC and not really perform at the same level.

I'm not trying to fighter bash and I certainly don't know anything about any individual fighter cases, but PEDs were so endemic in Japan at the time that I think it's a reasonable assumption that at least some of these guys helped their careers a great deal with pharmaceuticals (which were not against the rules, at least de facto).
Who did Page knockout to win the title?

Went full potatoe

__________________
I have nothing to say, except I am still standing and still waiting...for a title fight. Emelianenko Fedor...you are next!
Shale? pssh.. Shale Sonnnenn, Shale, I don like talk too much Shale Sonnen.
FishinWithFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
kmasonbx

Brown Belt
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight To Win View Post
I think if he would have been champion it wouldn't have been long. And Shogun would have probably been a long-reigning Jones-esque champ. Just a bit more vicious in a different way.
Doubt that. He would have struggled with Tito and Randy, as well as prime Chuck with his granite chin. Also I think it's fairly obvious that despite the health decline for Shogun his style of fighting worked better in a ring than in a cage. Same goes for Wanderlei.

kmasonbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
MiroHa

Brown Belt
 
MiroHa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchi Mata View Post
I think Shogun and prime Wandy would have beaten him, though I'm not sure if Wandy would have been able to do so without PEDs. I don't think Rampage would have ever been able to do it without PEDs. To me, that's such a a huge asterisk with any UFC-PRIDE comparison just because you saw so many of those guys come to the PED regulated environment of the UFC and not really perform at the same level.

I'm not trying to fighter bash and I certainly don't know anything about any individual fighter cases, but PEDs were so endemic in Japan at the time that I think it's a reasonable assumption that at least some of these guys helped their careers a great deal with pharmaceuticals (which were not against the rules, at least de facto).
I think it's pointless to talk about PEDs in here because none of us knows who used in Pride and who didn't. Wand, Shogun and Rampage have never pissed hot in their fights that took place in US so for all we know they don't use and never have used. Chuck could have been using as well, everybody knows that drug tests just make it a bit harder but not impossible.

__________________
"My heart sank not for Fedor but for the reality of perfection that is not attainable in the sport of MMA."
–Pat Miletich

Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki
MiroHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Idonotbelieveit
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,844
vCash: 500
i don't think chuck could handle the pride elite, prime wand, shogun, rampage!!

Idonotbelieveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
MiroHa

Brown Belt
 
MiroHa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 3,581
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmasonbx View Post
Doubt that. He would have struggled with Tito and Randy, as well as prime Chuck with his granite chin. Also I think it's fairly obvious that despite the health decline for Shogun his style of fighting worked better in a ring than in a cage. Same goes for Wanderlei.
In UFC probably but in Pride rules and scoring would have switched the advantage to Shogun imo.

__________________
"My heart sank not for Fedor but for the reality of perfection that is not attainable in the sport of MMA."
–Pat Miletich

Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki
MiroHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Mufasatheking

Purple Belt
 
Mufasatheking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroHa View Post
I think it's pointless to talk about PEDs in here because none of us knows who used in Pride and who didn't. Wand, Shogun and Rampage have never pissed hot in their fights that took place in US so for all we know they don't use and never have used. Chuck could have been using as well, everybody knows that drug tests just make it a bit harder but not impossible.
Its beyond doubt that Wand was on PEDS.

Chuck would likely have beaten Wand if he fought in the UFC, wand got dropped in most fights he was in.

Shoguns striking is a little overrated, most of his KO's are from when guys were on the ground, and he was very reliant on his stomps and soccerkicks, theres also no way he would get chuck to the ground. Id still pick him as the favourite.

Tito would have been the only dominant LHW champ the sport had if all the UFC and Pride guys were in one org, until Bones came along at least.

__________________
Aldo is the future GOAT and will take the LW belt, and KZ will take the FW belt. - 28/11/2012
ANDERSON GOAT
Current favs : Anderson, Pettis, KZ, Aldo, Bones, JDS, Cain, Benson, Hendricks
Mufasatheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"