Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Spiderbite

Blue Belt

vCash: 50
Obviously Shogun would be in the mix along with Rampage, But i don't know if Chuck wouldn't have been champ. Granted he lost to Rampage, but with that said, back then Chuck was a fucking beast. Granite chin and cinder blocks for fists.
War Chuck....Always.

Spiderbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Uchi Mata

Red Belt

vCash: 446
I think Shogun and prime Wandy would have beaten him, though I'm not sure if Wandy would have been able to do so without PEDs. I don't think Rampage would have ever been able to do it without PEDs. To me, that's such a a huge asterisk with any UFC-PRIDE comparison just because you saw so many of those guys come to the PED regulated environment of the UFC and not really perform at the same level.

I'm not trying to fighter bash and I certainly don't know anything about any individual fighter cases, but PEDs were so endemic in Japan at the time that I think it's a reasonable assumption that at least some of these guys helped their careers a great deal with pharmaceuticals (which were not against the rules, at least de facto).

Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
JohnSAFTAHess
Dudikoff Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroHa View Post
Prime Wand did very well on the feet against Cro Cop and Hunt wasn't able to put him out even though he hit him with some of his best shots. I just feel that Chuck was never really tested against elite guys with great striking in UFC like Wand was in Pride.
Love Chuck, but I agree with this 100%

Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #14
JKS

Steel Belt

That would be interesting!! The lhw division in the UFC would have been much stronger. And the same means for guys like Tito and randy at lhw. I don't think they would have as much success

Wand
Shogun
Nog(s)
Anderson
Dos Santos
Sergei
Vitor
Barnett
Aldo
Jacare
Erick Silva
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
FishinWithFredo

Purple Belt

vCash: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchi Mata View Post
I think Shogun and prime Wandy would have beaten him, though I'm not sure if Wandy would have been able to do so without PEDs. I don't think Rampage would have ever been able to do it without PEDs. To me, that's such a a huge asterisk with any UFC-PRIDE comparison just because you saw so many of those guys come to the PED regulated environment of the UFC and not really perform at the same level.

I'm not trying to fighter bash and I certainly don't know anything about any individual fighter cases, but PEDs were so endemic in Japan at the time that I think it's a reasonable assumption that at least some of these guys helped their careers a great deal with pharmaceuticals (which were not against the rules, at least de facto).
Who did Page knockout to win the title?

Went full potatoe

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #16
kmasonbx

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight To Win View Post
I think if he would have been champion it wouldn't have been long. And Shogun would have probably been a long-reigning Jones-esque champ. Just a bit more vicious in a different way.
Doubt that. He would have struggled with Tito and Randy, as well as prime Chuck with his granite chin. Also I think it's fairly obvious that despite the health decline for Shogun his style of fighting worked better in a ring than in a cage. Same goes for Wanderlei.

kmasonbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
MiroHa

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchi Mata View Post

I think it's pointless to talk about PEDs in here because none of us knows who used in Pride and who didn't. Wand, Shogun and Rampage have never pissed hot in their fights that took place in US so for all we know they don't use and never have used. Chuck could have been using as well, everybody knows that drug tests just make it a bit harder but not impossible.

Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki
MiroHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Idonotbelieveit
Banned

i don't think chuck could handle the pride elite, prime wand, shogun, rampage!!

Idonotbelieveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
MiroHa

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmasonbx View Post
Doubt that. He would have struggled with Tito and Randy, as well as prime Chuck with his granite chin. Also I think it's fairly obvious that despite the health decline for Shogun his style of fighting worked better in a ring than in a cage. Same goes for Wanderlei.
In UFC probably but in Pride rules and scoring would have switched the advantage to Shogun imo.

Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki
MiroHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Mufasatheking

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiroHa View Post
I think it's pointless to talk about PEDs in here because none of us knows who used in Pride and who didn't. Wand, Shogun and Rampage have never pissed hot in their fights that took place in US so for all we know they don't use and never have used. Chuck could have been using as well, everybody knows that drug tests just make it a bit harder but not impossible.
Its beyond doubt that Wand was on PEDS.

Chuck would likely have beaten Wand if he fought in the UFC, wand got dropped in most fights he was in.

Shoguns striking is a little overrated, most of his KO's are from when guys were on the ground, and he was very reliant on his stomps and soccerkicks, theres also no way he would get chuck to the ground. Id still pick him as the favourite.

Tito would have been the only dominant LHW champ the sport had if all the UFC and Pride guys were in one org, until Bones came along at least.

Mufasatheking is offline   Reply With Quote