Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
shonuf
Senior Moderator

vCash: 500
Icon14 Chuck Liddell on why he doesn't like GSP and Jones playing it safe

Chuck Liddell was on Inside MMA and he spoke on GSP and Jones. He's said his number one problem with MMA today is guys playing it safe. I'll try to type out most of what he said.....

"I love St. Pierre, I think he's a great fighter. I just wish he's open it up a little bit. He doesn't want to tarnish a legacy, doesn't want to take a risk. Ever since he got knocked out by Serra he's been playing it safe.

I said that about Jon Jones, that time he didn't take the fight on short notice. His excuse that he was a southpaw, and he wasn't training for a southpaw,.......it's Chael...Chael Sonnen. He's not a slick south paw, you just fought a southpaw, you just fought Lyoto. You're supposed to be the best 205 pounder in the world and you're worried about a guy that just lost twice at 185? I think you need to bonafy anyone, anytime, anywhere.

I mean it's not like they asked him to take a short notice fight, i mean, you're the champion you shouldn't have to take a short notice fight, but if you've been through a full camp and you're healthy? If I've been through a full camp and I'm healthy? I'll fight anybody rather than not have a fight. I want to get paid."

shonuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
shonuf
Senior Moderator

Here's some of the rest of what he said on the axs youtube channel but they cut out that part..

shonuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
mister who

Brown Belt

Well not a lot of fighters have the qualities that enabled Chuck to be so great. Strong chin (during his prime) and stupid power in his hands. Of course other fighters can't stylistically match him because they lack the same physical talents.

That's why I love Glover. He is like Chuck 2.0 with submissions.

mister who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
XStr8EdgeX

Orange Belt

Chuck telling it like it is Hespect

XStr8EdgeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
dangerousD

Brown Belt

Yes GSP should start to fight like Chuck did and turn his jaw into glass and his brain into mush

Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
EmeliankoFan1

Red Belt

Chuck is right to an extent but he still lives within his ego. If you are champion sometimes you gotta show how bad ass you are but within reason.

GSP is GSP and he does shut down his opponents. He may not take as many risks but he does scrap it up in the ring. I can see if GSP blankets fighters but GSP does scrap in the ring.

In regards to jones, Jones coach was against the idea of jones fighting on 8 days notice. So chuck is talking about Jones who was listening to Jackson telling him not to take the fight and who pretty much mimics Jacksons every word. If jones took the fight on 8 days notice he would have been going against Greg Jackson.

There are bits and pieces of the issue that he is not really touching on.

Last edited by EmeliankoFan1; 07-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.
EmeliankoFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Shogun Rising

vCash: 50
Makes some good sense.

And sure, Jones would have looked better taking the Chael fight on short notice. But Jones is one of the most aggressive fighters of all time, so in my mind at least I didn't really hold it against him.

Shogun Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
freak flag high

Blue Belt

I thought I was gunna come in and make a joke about his chin(love chuck) but what he said was real as hell. So I couldn't

freak flag high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
Meat850

Yellow Belt

Thanks for posting this^

Meat850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
ermac88

Purple Belt

With all due respect to Chuck-
The sport has evolved, smart fighters are just not going to take same risk as the previous generation of fighters.
The same way Chucks generation was safer than the first batch of UFC fighters.

In addition to that, Chuck has probably suffered damage from his style of fighting, who knows to what extent.

ermac88 is offline   Reply With Quote