Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
chaman4g

Black Belt

vCash: 500
Chuck liddell: 的知 getting my toenails painted now

I never knew Chuck paints his toenails...

Chuck Liddell highlights Atlanta UFC 88
By STEVE HUMMER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, September 05, 2008

A new kind of fighting has spawned a new kind of baddest man on the planet.

Chuck Liddell occasionally answers to that title and anybody in the room want to argue grammar with the man?

UFC 88
Ultimate fighting's Atlanta debut
Video: What it looks like to fight a UFC champion?
While no longer the light heavyweight champion of the most recognized fight club in the world, Liddell, 38, still is the face of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. His feet, however, are pure Junior League.

的知 getting my toenails painted now, he said, unabashed, during a phone interview last week. 的t痴 something I always do on fight week. Something in blue and white this time.

Apparently, preparations for his UFC 88 feature fight Saturday at Philips Arena against Rashad Evans were running right on schedule.

Secure in his manhood with his 21-5 record and his 14 knockouts, Liddell comes to town spreading the gospel of ultimate fighting.

He痴 the one with an autobiography on the shelves, his mug once on the cover of a national sports magazine and cameo appearances in multiple movies. A long history of giving better than he痴 gotten has earned Liddell the right to be introduced as a legend wherever he痴 gone around Atlanta this week.

滴is style is what makes him so popular, said UFC president Dana White, who managed Liddell in the late 1990s. 滴e痴 a guy who will fight anywhere, anytime. He loves to stand up and bang. He loves to knock people out.

Being that he痴 a guest in town, it痴 only polite to get to know Liddell. And how can we get to know him without learning a bit about his hybrid sport?

He was made for the edgy new brand of fighting that combines so many different styles.

Don稚 let the painted toes fool you. From the first ****tarsal up, Liddell is built for kicking butt. He found his calling as a young man growing up in Santa Barbara, Calif. While there are few streets in that village that could be called legitimately mean, he did have to do some survival fighting in a low-end school, he said. A grandfather taught him some of the basics of self-defense, and young Chuck began some martial-arts training at 12.

It suited him. He wrestled through college, at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. And he took no prisoners when trouble started at the community watering hole.

的 didn稚 start anything. But I never made it too easy for a guy to back away, he said.

It is possible to find among the many cultural offerings on the World Wide Web a site that outlines Liddell痴 bar-fighting tips. Foremost, he suggests simply not fighting. Talk your way out of it. But if trouble breaks out, he counsels, here痴 one valuable piece of advice: There are no rules, always aim for the most vulnerable area.

If looks could hobble, then call Liddell a walking, talking bone bruise. He showed up Thursday to the pre-fight press conference shaved for battle, the unique tattoo on his scalp plainly visible. The Japanese characters inked into his head represent the brand of karate in which he is grounded.

He must have left his Save the Whales T-shirt back in California. Instead, he arrived dressed for duress in a black T with 滴ostility written in large letters across the front.

OK, that concludes the stereotyping part of the program.

The unmarried father of two also describes himself as exceedingly mellow and quiet. They call him 典he Iceman because of his cool demeanor.

Liddell owns an accounting degree, although, honestly, he hasn稚 remained in touch with his inner bean counter. 的知 glad I ended up doing something else. I know enough about accounting to know I shouldn稚 do my own taxes, he said.

Cut him, he bleeds. Turn the page of the calendar, he gets older.

Liddell痴 fight resume includes victories over the leading names in his sport twice knocking out champions Randy Couture and Tito Ortiz. But he is at the age of a fighter who has seen better days, now trying to reclaim a title while fighting off another up-and-comer in the 29-year-old Evans (16-0-1).

Liddell has lost two of his past three fights and hasn稚 had a KO in almost two years. That is not a pleasing development for the stand-up banger. 的知 not dissatisfied [winning by decision], I知 just not as happy, he said. 的壇 much rather win by knockout.

Any kind of fighting does produce one common kind of fighter: the aging champion who keeps going past his prime. Liddell, for one, insists his days of nail-painting and name-taking aren稚 nearly finished.

的知 going to fight as long as my body痴 working, Liddell said. 的 keep saying another two to four years. And I hope in two years I can say it痴 still two to four years. I enjoy it that much. And I enjoy getting paid for it.

"If you disrespect fighting, it will disrespect you" BJ Penn

Please feel free to check out my articles at www.fighters.com and soon to be www.nokaut.com
chaman4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Wdd4lif3**
Banned

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1xqm7gmBjs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1xqm7gmBjs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wdd4lif3** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
nprussell91

Blue Belt

Let Chuck do whatever he wants. He has earned the right.

"There is no such thing as a free lunch"

"The Power of One"
nprussell91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
pittelp
Smokin Joe belt winner

Shaq does the same thing.

pittelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
light it up
?

Old news

light it up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
silent ninja
Banned

Does anyone else wish they could be the one painting Chuck's toenails?

silent ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
The Heat

Brown Belt

Well he'd better avoid Nick Diaz or risk getting gogo'd.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
MARINECOP
Banned

That is how Chuck learned to fight. Paint yours, walk down the street and see how many times you get your ass kicked.

MARINECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
silent ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINECOP View Post
That is how Chuck learned to fight. Paint yours, walk down the street and see how many times you get your ass kicked.
Not a bad idea. You should start wearing lipstick.

silent ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
techlogik

vCash:
That fail video is hilarious..never seen that.

Yeah, I guess who is going to tell him otherwise that it is ghey? Not me.