Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #201
lockon

Black Belt

vCash: 500
nope. for me the only thing is that he doesnt have that much fights, doesnt mean he's overrated

WW: Hendricks, Condit
LW: Diaz, Maynard, Pettis
FW: Edgar, Aldo
BW: Barao
lockon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #202
Claude

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel p View Post
Chris's takedown on Anderson in the first round looked so halfassed though. Like I've seen Weidman get better takedowns than that and also the GnP didn't really effect Anderson because shortly after the kneebar attempt which Anderson escaped from within seconds he was showboating again like he does in most of his fights. Weidman did win the first round, but it wasn't a "domination" of a round at all because aside from what i just mentioned... nothing really happen in that round.
Actually the first round was crucial in Weidman's victory. Weidman taking Silva to the ground, delivering some hard gnp and going for a finish was key to the fight. That's the moment when Silva realized he couldn't afford to be on his back against Chris, so he did whatever he could to keep it standing. Putting his hands down, clowning, yelling at Chris to keep it standing, that was all part of a "strategy", if we could call it that way. Problem is Silva lost his composure and fought deperately.

Silva was clowning just like in other fights, BUT this time it was completely different, this time he wasn't toying with a fighter he thought was inferior. If you watch the fights he clowns around you will see that he does it after having a feeling out process and getting his opponent's timing down perfectly. This time he did it immediatly after getting back up to his feet and being in trouble, and when he clowned he got tagged as he never got Chris' timing down. He just clowned because he completely lost his composure.

Silva admited he got "out control" and "lost his temper" and that's something that didn't happen against Forrest, Okami or Bonnar. That's why it's so silly to claim Silva was toying with Chris like he was against others. They were completely different scenarios.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #203
anth0ny85

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
The difference is that Chirs did hurt Anderson.

Hendo barely landed anything clean, he spent the entire round trying to cover Silva's mouth. Lutter was gassed, even in full mount his gnp was weak and he missed most of his shots.

Chael is pillow handed. This was about the hardest punch he landed in 7 rounds

Chris delivered 3 of those in about a minute, and one of them made Silva look like he was about to be put to sleep

This is basicly what threw Silva off his game. He wanted no part of Weidman on the ground, hence the desperate dropping hands/clowning "keep it standing" antics.
great post.

Fedor Emelianenko...Wanderlei Silva....Gegard Mousasi...
anth0ny85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #204
anth0ny85

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNAMiC027 View Post
Oh man he was so destroyed in rd1.. He was so terrified to go to the ground that he decided that his only option was to taunt CW and then give him a free pass by not making him pay for his over-aggressiveness. Yeah you got it figured. You really know what you're talking about..

Vocal minority has to make shit up in order to justify the legitamacy of Silva FINALLY losing to a guy whom he gifted the championship like he could not care less. Unless you can show some proof of another instance in which AS is attempting to clown someone in the exact manner (you know, pretending to be hurt only to make a blatent mockery of his opponent and then NOT offer up any offense to protect himself) that he did against Weidman?.. Which of course, you can't.

Andy-haters are the least fight knowledgeable far and away.

Fedor Emelianenko...Wanderlei Silva....Gegard Mousasi...
anth0ny85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #205
ib313

Purple Belt

vCash: 501
Must.remember.Sil-va.fans--opinions.are.not.Silva's

ib313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #206
angel p**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Actually the first round was crucial in Weidman's victory. Weidman taking Silva to the ground, delivering some hard gnp and going for a finish was key to the fight. That's the moment when Silva realized he couldn't afford to be on his back against Chris, so he did whatever he could to keep it standing. Putting his hands down, clowning, yelling at Chris to keep it standing, that was all part of a "strategy", if we could call it that way. Problem is Silva lost his composure and fought deperately.

Silva was clowning just like in other fights, BUT this time it was completely different, this time he wasn't toying with a fighter he thought was inferior. If you watch the fights he clowns around you will see that he does it after having a feeling out process and getting his opponent's timing down perfectly. This time he did it immediatly after getting back up to his feet and being in trouble, and when he clowned he got tagged as he never got Chris' timing down. He just clowned because he completely lost his composure.

Silva admited he got "out control" and "lost his temper" and that's something that didn't happen against Forrest, Okami or Bonnar. That's why it's so silly to claim Silva was toying with Chris like he was against others. They were completely different scenarios.
Of course he didn't lose his temper in the Okami, Bonnar etc fights because he won those fights. Anderson clearly to me got over-confident and unfocused I still believe he was fighting normally, but he simply got caught and underestimated Weidman. Weidman even admitted that the showboating effected him, but it effected him enough to win. Anderson definitely wouldn't want to go to the ground with Weidman because of his legit BJJ and wrestling. It seems a bit odd to me that he even yelled at Weidman to keep it standing.

Regardless I personally don't believe that the first round played a part into the KO. Anderson has lost first rounders before and ends up winning in the 2nd round at times, but in this fight in particular I suppose he lost his focus and simply got over-confident most importantly I really believe Anderson was worried about going to the ground with Weidman. Hopefully he's much more focused in the rematch and we'll get to see a good fight.

Last edited by angel p**; 08-26-2013 at 08:49 PM.
angel p** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #207
Claude

Brown Belt

Quote:
Of course he didn't lose his temper in the Okami, Bonnar etc fights because he won those fights. Anderson clearly to me got over-confident and unfocused I still believe he was fighting normally, but he simply got caught and underestimated Weidman. Weidman even admitted that the showboating effected him, but it effected him enough to win. Anderson definitely wouldn't want to go to the ground with Weidman because of his legit BJJ and wrestling. It seems a bit odd to me that he even yelled at Weidman to keep it standing.

Regardless I personally don't believe that the first round played a part into the KO. Anderson has lost first rounders before and ends up winning in the 2nd round at times, but in this fight in particular I suppose he lost his focus and simply got over-confident most importantly I really believe Anderson was worried about going to the ground with Weidman. Hopefully he's much more focused in the rematch and we'll get to see a good fight.
You do not get overconfident in a fight your're losing and you just have been hurt. There's just no way. People assume once Silva drops his hands he's 100% in control of the fight and just playing a cat & mouse game. Most of the times that was the case, but not in this fight. In this one he did it while losing the fight and not being able to land anything significant. Not once Chris was hurt or in any kind of trouble, so how could Silva know he was so much better to the point of getting overconfident? Truth is he didn't know. He was worried (his coach admited this) and fighting desperately, and again even if he pulled the same stuff he pulled against Forrest or Bonnar, he did it in completely different scenarios.

Last edited by Claude; 08-27-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #208
Nihilism

Brown Belt

No, some people still think Anderson is their saviour and is going to beat Weidman. Chris has to beat Anderson twice to steal Anderson's title as most overrated UFC champion.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #209
Combat Wombatt

Green Belt

Quote:

Regardless I personally don't believe that the first round played a part into the KO.
Anderson has lost first rounders before and ends up winning in the 2nd round at times, but in this fight in particular I suppose he lost his focus and simply got over-confident most importantly I really believe Anderson was worried about going to the ground with Weidman. Hopefully he's much more focused in the rematch and we'll get to see a good fight.

Completely disagree with that.

Anderson was getting dominated and hurt on the ground in the 1st round, he knew he didn't want to spend the next 4 rounds being dominated or taking the chance of losing via GnP or decision.

Anderson knew he had to make Weidman play his game, which is the stand up game. Anderson was actually able to get Weidman to play into his game (Weidman admitted this) but Anderson got too cocky and it cost him.

Combat Wombatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #210
ib313

Purple Belt

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilism View Post
No, some people still think Anderson is their saviour and is going to beat Weidman. Chris has to beat Anderson twice to steal Anderson's title as most overrated UFC champion.
How's that for a reverse?

Chris Weidman's win was legit, but Anderson as "most overrated UFC champ"? Lol.

None of the current champs are pretenders. Weidman and Henderson are really the only two I'd put any money on losing theirs anytime soon. GSP might lose his as well, but I think it's safe to say it's not because he's overrated.

ib313 is offline   Reply With Quote