Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Abs of Steel*
Banned

vCash: 500
Causing a Self-Induced Adrenalin Rush - *Major Advantage*

We have heard Rogan constantly go on about how an "adrenalin dump" will negatively affect the cage fighters performance. I will have to strongly disagree. I will tell you about my own experience with it.

I first started having these adrenalin rushes when I was in high-school, wrestling (4 years or so ago). I couldn't control it at all. Right before the matches, no matter what, my heart began pumping blood like crazy, and I felt this surge of energy. However, the most important thing I felt was, this uncontrollable power I began feeling (please, no Hulk jokes)......power WITHOUT any pain. When the matches started, I felt like I was fighting somebody 40 lbs lighter then me, when in reality they were the same exact weight.

On to something more recent....I couldn't lift weights for about 8 months due to really bad tendinitis in my wrists (i could barely even carry a grocery bag cause the pain use to be so bad). So when I got the OK by my doctor, I started lifting weights again. Unfortunately, I lost a lot of muscle mass, and was back down to benching 160 lbs (i will use this exercise alone as an example). I was doing my normal 3 sets, reps of 10, 8, and 6. About 2 weeks ago, I had the idea of forcing an adrenalin rush prior to lifting (I will spare you the details as to how I caused it, lets just say, I started getting excited as if I was about to fight somebody..that and a combination of music). Guess how much I put up? 3 sets of 190 lbs @ 10, 10, 9 (a fucking thirty pound difference!!! This doesn't include my max, as I haven't tested that yet recently). I did the same exact thing again with the 190 pounds my last workout. (FYI - I don't/can't take any kind of supplements, not even protein. So I know that can't attribute to these kind of results)

So how exactly does this affect the body? Don't quote me on this ..but if I remember correctly, the adrenalin gland produces a hormone called 'Epinephrine'. What it does is, increases the glucose and oxygen levels to the brain and muscles. However, like almost everything you do to your body, there is a also a negative reaction.....it suppresses the immune system, increases chance of heart attack/stroke.

So if fighters were to cause a self-induced adrenalin rush, would it be an unfair advantage? I really don't understand why they don't do it more often. For me personally, I never saw any decrease in cardio/stamina while doing this. Nothing but positive results on my end.

Abs of Steel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Abs of Steel*
Banned

ttt

Abs of Steel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
xmheadx

Green Belt

I think it would affect you negatively when you come down off the "rush". Adrenaline causes the bodies ****bolism to be jacked up way higher than baseline. So when the adrenaline wears off, your ****bolism crashes below baseline and you become fatugued. Adrenaline helps you get the fuck out of bad situation in the short term. It's not meant to have long term effects.

xmheadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
afrdzak

Brown Belt

The adrenaline dump is this:

The body goes into fight or flight response mode. This immediately elevates the adrenal levels, but this can only be sustained for a short period of time.

The "dump" is when that expires and your adrenal levels are lower than when you began. Thus affecting you negatively.

So initially, it's a boost, but eventually it's a drain.

You're taught to control your emotions and adrenaline so that you don't get the "dump" and don't blow your load up front.

afrdzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
lncarnaxim

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmheadx View Post
I think it would affect you negatively when you come down off the "rush". Adrenaline causes the bodies ****bolism to be jacked up way higher than baseline. So when the adrenaline wears off, your ****bolism crashes below baseline and you become fatugued. Adrenaline helps you get the fuck out of bad situation in the short term. It's not meant to have long term effects.
Quite right. I do like the fact that Sherdog doesn't allow m etabolism because it doesn't allow m e t a.

Favorite Fighters: Miguel Torres
lncarnaxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
WarWander1ei

Purple Belt

That's probably what Sanchez was trying to do with all that yes yes yes shit.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
xmheadx

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lncarnaxim View Post
Quite right. I do like the fact that Sherdog doesn't allow m etabolism because it doesn't allow m e t a.
I don't understand why "m e t a" is censored. Care to fill me in?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
xmheadx

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrdzak View Post
The adrenaline dump is this:

The body goes into fight or flight response mode. This immediately elevates the adrenal levels, but this can only be sustained for a short period of time.

The "dump" is when that expires and your adrenal levels are lower than when you began. Thus affecting you negatively.

So initially, it's a boost, but eventually it's a drain.

You're taught to control your emotions and adrenaline so that you don't get the "dump" and don't blow your load up front.
You're right about how adrenaline and emotions are tied. But I think the "dump" is when the adrenaline floods into your system because of a fight/flight situation. I could be wrong about that, though.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
thechoice2

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmheadx View Post
I don't understand why "m e t a" is censored. Care to fill me in?
cause it can be used in html scripts to force redirection of webpages and other things

thechoice2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
AKokesh

Green Belt

I bet all of these fighters have adrenaline rushes before matches.

HW: Overeem, Nelson
LHW: Jackson, Franklin
MW: Sonnen, Lombard
WW: St. Pierre, Hornbuckle
LW: Edgar, Alvarez
FW: Gamburyan
AKokesh is offline   Reply With Quote