Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
JKS

Titanium Belt

vCash: 500
Anderson Silva DQ after illegal kick clip, how is that illegal??

I was just watching some of Anderson latest fights, and this fight where he kick the opponent in the head and was DQ'd, the ref said illegal. The fight was from Rumble on the Rock, he didnt kick a downed opponent, it was a heel striker upwards from the gaurd, those are legal in the UFC, what are the rules for ROTR?Here is the video

Last edited by SuperSuperRambo; 06-01-2006 at 06:03 PM.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Crazy Feet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS
I was just watching some of Anderson latest fights, and this fight where he kick the opponent in the head and was DQ'd, the ref said illegal. The fight was from Rumble on the Rock, he didnt kick a downed opponent, it was a heel striker upwards from the gaurd, those are legal in the UFC, what are the rules for ROTR?Here is the video

This rule has often confused me in the past....like why wasn't it illegal when Salaverry kicked Riggs this way right before the triangle? I believe no matter if your on your back or standing, any kick to your opponents face/head is illegal when any of his knees are touching the canvas.

Last edited by SuperSuperRambo; 06-01-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Crazy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
ss454

Green Belt

I'm pretty sure it's illegal if your opponent has a knee on the ground. Riggs didn't have a knee on the ground when Ivan kicked him from what I remember. He was falling into Ivans guard to land one of his famous bombs when he ate the upkick and fell right into a triangle dazed.

ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Kolchak

Red Belt

You have to have a knee on the ground. Watch Lindland vs Almeida to see how someone with a little gamesmanship like Lindland can use it to work guard passes and seriously frustrate his opponent.

Kolchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
fallable

Brown Belt

As far as the Salaverry / Riggs fight goes, that fight was at MGM Grand in Vegas. I think in Vegas the up kicks are aloud because the NSAC allows them. I think it is in Atlantic City, probably Trump Taj Mahal where up kicks are not allowed. I dont know about ROTR.

fallable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
samianssi1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS
It illegal in UFC also, no kicking downed opponent to head, its very simple rule, you must be idiot or very drunk.

samianssi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
EckY

Downed opponent = not standing on two feet

EckY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #8
Disco Albino

Black Belt

vCash: 1590
Not legal in UFC. Kicking someone on their knees is kicking a downed opponent. Upkicks only are legal against standing opponents. Happened in the Hallman fight in the last IFL.

GSP/Wand/Shogun fan, win or lose-A real fan is a fan regardless

"Even with Anderson hurt and Sonnen doped, Anderson still defeated him. God is just."-A. Rodrigo Nogueira
Disco Albino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
edgerrin32
No Edge No Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKS
okami was on his knees. on your knees = downed, kicking a downed opponent = illigal.

Add me on PSN: Edgerrin32
edgerrin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #10
JKS

Titanium Belt

He was on his knees, make sense, thanks

JKS is offline   Reply With Quote