Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Fight Discussion > UFC Discussion

UFC Discussion Discuss UFC, former WEC and former Pride events here.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
BadAssBuddha**
Banned

vCash: 500
About Overeems Cardio

So a lot of people are saying that Overeem at 205 had trouble mainly because of his cardio, and i agree with that but i also hear that the weight cut was the reason he was gassing constantly but now with the recent UFC 141 countdown i have a hard time believing that.

You see Overeem says himself in the countdown that he cut from 222 pounds and that the cut was easy, obviously he couldnt do much lifting to make 205 but cardio training shouldnt have been an issue.

and now at HW its still apparent that his cardio is really bad. Most of his HW wins where short fights before cardio would come into play and K1 lacks grappling and requires a lot less cardio compared to MMA.

So does this mean that Overeem simply has bad cardio based on genetics? just like how some people are naturally born with genetics to gain muscle easier and the ability to get more mass, i bet some people are born with a higher limit as to how good cardio they can get, Cain having a high limit and Overeem having a low one.

thats what i think, and doesnt that mean that while overeem probably has good genetics for gaining muscle(assuming he doesnt juice but i guess he passed the test for now), he is not a complete athlete as part of athletism is having great cardio as well.

thoughts?

BadAssBuddha** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Black@Jack
Banned

in my humble opinion neither lesnar or reem deserve to be mentioned along cain or jds.
as far as cardio goes - watch if lesnar manages to clinch reem : he will loose power very quickly.
I still think Lesnar is going to be KOed, but not because Reem is so good, because Lesnar is not top 10, sorry.

Black@Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 AM   #3
indifferent

Orange Belt

i think he says when he started fighting he was at 222 and the cut was easy. from wut ive heard, as he got older the cut got harder and harder. which would make perfect sense. he was around in pride at a very young age and was not fully developed, body wise or skill wise

his gas tank is by no means great, but it gets thrown around how bad it is and thats not true. for anyone that has ever trained or wrestled, dealing with werdum that night would have been exhausting to anyone. it was ridiculous. on another note, brock can make damn near anyone tired by putting his weight on them and forcing them to work.

i think the cardio is overstated in the upcoming match up. cardio will not be tested because the fight will prob be over by the first . but definately the 2nd

indifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #4
Byron Carter
Amateur Fighter

If I told you why he has bad cardio, I'd receive double yellows.

And the fact that he passed his test, is more reflective of shitty testing and easy-to-dodge procedures. Not that he's clean.

Byron Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Natman2939

Gold Belt

Location: In a small town, in a big country, on a floating oasis somewhere in the universe
vCash: 50
Considering it's the same man, it's only natural you'd assume it's the same reason.

But sometimes the same thing can happen for a different reason.

I believe he had bad cardio as a LHW because he cut way too much weight and was therefore dehydrated ect

I believe he has bad cardio as a HW because of incredible amounts of muscle he has. It's a very well known fact: Muscles need oxygen. The more muscles you have, the more oxygen your body uses and the more it needs, but you can only suck it in so fast, especially when you're working (fighting) hard.

There's a good reason guys like Fedor and Cain don't look like body builders. and why someone like JDS looks more LEAN than he does BUFF, because muscles hurt cardio. The slight strength advantage they give you is not worth the drawbacks in cardio and speed.

In my opinion, in theory, the best possible HW Overeem would be just a little bigger than he was when he fought Buentello. 235. 240 at the most.

He's actually made himself too big and it showed very much in the Werdum fight.

Ironically it doesn't even help him that much, other than in his ability to shove opponents around. He's a pretty accurate dude, so I think he doesn't really need that.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #6
Throttlehead

Brown Belt

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Carter View Post
If I told you why he has bad cardio, I'd receive double yellows.

And the fact that he passed his test, is more reflective of shitty testing and easy-to-dodge procedures. Not that he's clean.
So, who else is on the juice? You seem to have an inside track.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:10 AM   #7
Byron Carter
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
So, who else is on the juice? You seem to have an inside track.
Not really an inside track...

Byron Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Dman4Life8017

Green Belt

Overeem has never had spectacular cardio. If you watch any of his fights be it small overeem or "Post Horse Meat" Overeem, it's the same story over and over. He begins to fade at the 6 min mark in many of his fights[In Japan MMA's first round], or in the 1st min of the 2nd round. So he tries to finish his fights as soon as possible, because he knows he doesn't have the cardio for a prolonged fight. He's never had it. I think if Brock can lean on him, and force him to work off his back for long periods of time, then Lesnar will gas him, and be able to pound him out that way.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #9
Vader025

Green Belt

exactly what he said. you hit it right on the button imo!
I remember one conversation with a friend when Brock was gonna fight Cain! He said "Brock is as good as Cain in every aspect AND HE IS MUCH BIGGER AND STRONGER". When I told him that Brocks size is his disdvantage, he just laughed as if it was the most ridiculous comment he ever heard! We all know what happened in the fight.

I know, in that fight it wasnt a Cardio problem...but its just not an advantage anymore if your 265 and up in HW. Like Natman said about 240lbs is the optimal weight for a HW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natman2939 View Post
Considering it's the same man, it's only natural you'd assume it's the same reason.

But sometimes the same thing can happen for a different reason.

I believe he had bad cardio as a LHW because he cut way too much weight and was therefore dehydrated ect

I believe he has bad cardio as a HW because of incredible amounts of muscle he has. It's a very well known fact: Muscles need oxygen. The more muscles you have, the more oxygen your body uses and the more it needs, but you can only suck it in so fast, especially when you're working (fighting) hard.

There's a good reason guys like Fedor and Cain don't look like body builders. and why someone like JDS looks more LEAN than he does BUFF, because muscles hurt cardio. The slight strength advantage they give you is not worth the drawbacks in cardio and speed.

In my opinion, in theory, the best possible HW Overeem would be just a little bigger than he was when he fought Buentello. 235. 240 at the most.

He's actually made himself too big and it showed very much in the Werdum fight.

Ironically it doesn't even help him that much, other than in his ability to shove opponents around. He's a pretty accurate dude, so I think he doesn't really need that.

"Best fights in the f@#$ing world. Where else can you pick muthaf@#$er's up over your head, slam his ass, and stomp him in the face, and then get a big wad of f@#$ing cash for doing it?! You can't do that s#@* nowhere else in the world."
Vader025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
Vastial

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Carter View Post
Not really an inside track...

Back in the mid 00's is when Pro-Hormones became popularised among the casual bodybuilding crowd, as a AAS user myself I can testify to the mass you can potentially gain in a short time frame from methylated compounds.

Did the various commissions cross ban these compounds as soon as they were released? They are not technically illegal anyway, even though in many aspects they trump proper gear in terms of results, as a fighter I thought you may have an idea on this?

How prevalent is legal supplement usage in the MMA world in terms of PH's?

Oh Mods! I'm not bashing...I'm asking a question, and the supplements I am referring to are completely legal.

Vastial is offline   Reply With Quote