Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion

Gear & Equipment Discussion Did I mention that the gear you use is cheap and flimsy?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Chute Boxe SP

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Washing colored BJJ in Vinager for color fasting

I know this subject has been brought up many times. In fact, I followed the instructions from a thread on this very site. I am just putting my experience out there for others to read.

Three months ago I bought a Koral Classic BJJ Gi in blue. I followed the the instructions (like I said, from this site) to soak it in vinegar and water before the first wash. It was said that it would hold in the blue color longer. I was skeptical but proceeded anyways.

I am not going to go ahead and call complete BS but I will tell you, after three months of use (2 sometimes 3 times a week, washed after EVERY use) the gi top is VERY faded.

I machine washed with cold water and minimal detergent and hang dry out of the sun (I live in the Third World, driers aren´t even and option).

The other guys in our group bought their gi's around the same time. They are a locally manufactured brand and much cheaper. Theirs have retained the blue dye much more than mine and they paid half the price!

Quite frankly, I don´t care that it faded. I only did the vinegar rinse because it did register on my BS meter and I wanted to see firsthand if it were true or not. So either the vinegar rinse is BS or the Koral Competition Gi is of questionable quality. Seeing how it is made in Brazil, it could even be a mixture of the two.

Chute Boxe SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
cheesesteak

Green Belt

I did the vinagar soak on my navy Tatami Estilo and it still faded to hell.

I'm going to try using Retayne on my next colored gi and see how it goes. It's worth a shot.

FUJI Lightweight Gi - Blu A2 (NEW)
HAYABUSA Headgear (NEW)
TOP KING Headgear (NEW)
SCRAMBLE Spats V2 - Blk S (NEW)
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Ice 9 Cobra

Black Belt

I use some of the color fastener from dharma trading on my gis, and they don't fade much.

It seems overall, the pre dyed gis use a cheap dye. Because when I dye my own gis, they stay crisp for life.

Ice 9 Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Ice 9 Cobra

Black Belt

Oh and vinegar is a myth, it's the wrong pH. Basic is needed to fasten chemical dyes on organic plant material, acidic works on protein fibers.

Ice 9 Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
SnowMongoose

Blue Belt

All of my gis are colored, never done more 'prep' than washing and/or shrinking them before first use, have had no problems with fading.

SnowMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Chute Boxe SP

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMongoose View Post
All of my gis are colored, never done more 'prep' than washing and/or shrinking them before first use, have had no problems with fading.
That´s interesting! Can you name the brands of gis?

Dying my own gi sounds like a neat little project but I live in the Third World where buying anything is either cripplingly expensive IF and ONLY IF you are able to find it!

Chute Boxe SP is offline   Reply With Quote