Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion

Gear & Equipment Discussion Did I mention that the gear you use is cheap and flimsy?

Old 06-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
jfak

White Belt

vCash: 500
glove dilemma

i have been looking to buy some new sparring gloves, and had previously decided upon the fairtex super sparring gloves (bgv5 I believe), but on every thread that i read everyone seemed to contradict what i had previously heard, stating that they are to big, and bulky
well with that i embarked on a quest that has lead me to where i currently am, a dilemma on choosing between 3 different gloves the problem is that I am looking for a glove with a small profile, and one that is well balanced
the nominees:
Ultimate Training Gloves - Lace Cuff at Ringside.com
International Training Gloves - Hook & Loop Cuff at Ringside.com
Fairtex Super Sparring Gloves at Ringside.com

any help in veering me in the right direction will be very much appreciated
P.S.i wouldn't be buying new sparring gloves if someone in my gym wouldn't have made away with them by the way they were the title world international gel training gloves
thanks in advance

Last edited by jfak; 06-19-2008 at 09:59 PM.
jfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Mark Limbaga
Amateur Fighter

try the primetime slimline gloves or the kofightgear gloves.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
KShaft

Blue Belt

I own both the Ultimate Classic training glove and the Fairtex training glove, which is a close cousin of the sparring glove.

The UC has very thick padding on the knuckles and will protect you and your sparring partner.
Thing is they are a bit big and bulky, and they have kind of a pre formed feel to em.
They are robust and made to last, but I think of them like a range rover, my winnings are like a Higher end BMW, and my Flores like a Roles Royce.

Any who, I cant really recommend muay thai style gloves for sparring now that Ive tasted true boxing gloves, but fairtex are the best of the muay thai gloves. I think if you do medium sparring MMA style then the Fairtex will be okay. If you are doing dedicated standing hard sparring I definitely recommend true boxing gloves.

Id recommend these gloves:
Winnings: The best for you and your partner protection wise, very flexible and good feeling glove.

The UC offers good protection, but suffers from the drawbacks I mentioned above. Picky I know but it will leave you better informed.

I recently tried on a velcro everlast pro training glove and I must say I liked it. I didnt really expect to, but I did. Nice fit, good padding, good all around build quality. I honestly liked it more than the UC glove and I may buy a pair.

I cant recommend Cleto Reyes gloves simply for the reason of being hard on sparring partners and perhaps your knuckles. My Boxing coach took one look at my 16oz direct from Mexico Reyes gloves and said "You can't spar with these." There went $130 down the shit tube. Build quality is impeccable and they are works of art as are my Mosby-Flores gloves, but unlike my Flores gloves, they unfortunately dont offer much protection for sparring partners. My coach's Reyes gloves seemed to be a different style then mine, mine were wider than his, and had more surface area to strike(meaning the weight was more dispersed in mine) so take my comments with a grain of salt but also keep in mind that you can find many posts on this forum and other boxing forums that cletos, even their sparring gloves are known to hit hard.

Okay, another well recognized glove I cant recommend are Grants. Reason being they are very stiff, and if you can make a fist with em, then you can easily dead lift about 800lbs. Very hard to make a fist with em and very stiff all around. I heard the fight gloves are not this way with someone who had a similar experience as I had. I sent them back for a refund.

I honestly think that you would be fine with the fairtex sparring glove(except for the size concern which I cant comment on...), its just with my money Id get something else.

Hope this helps.

KShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
crossdx
level 31

First off... great post, KShaft.

Now, to the TS: jfak, if you're worried that the gloves might be too bulky for you, the best thing would be to find a store in real life that carries them and try them on for yourself to see if you're okay with the size. However, that's likely not a viable option for you (I assume, since you posted this thread), so I'd go with the Everlast pro trainings if you want something that's guaranteeed to have a slimmer profile. They cost less than than the Fairtex sparring gloves too, at $80, and I've heard good things about them.

Quote:
try the primetime slimline gloves or the kofightgear gloves.
Btw, BPhenom... have you tried the Primetime slimline sparring gloves? I've read reviews of all of KOFightgear's gloves, but none yet of the Primetimes.

Last edited by crossdx; 06-09-2008 at 08:01 AM.
crossdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Art Vandelay
Latex Salesman

I can tell you that the Int'l training gloves and UC training gloves are good gloves. The UC and IMF gloves are better than the Int'ls IMO and are similar in price. If you get a sale you can get them all for $69 range.

That said, the profile of all is pretty big, especially if you are used to MT brands or some MMA brands training gloves. Of the Int'l, UC, and IMF gloves, the Int'l definitely have the biggest dimensions. That is from memory, with no measurements, but I have hundreds of rounds with the Int'ls before I bought IMF's and the Int'ls have the biggest profile I've used.

Smaller profile gloves I've sparred with do not provide adequate protection for hand/wrist/face in comparison to the IMF's and similar gloves. That's a tradeoff you'll have to make if you are training MMA and prefer a slimmer profile when working stand up.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
KShaft

Blue Belt

[QUOTE=crossdx;23602741]First off... great post, KShaft.

Thanka man.

Did you get those 18ozers yet?

Oh the INT gloves are on sale for $50. Just FYI.

KShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
crossdx
level 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShaft View Post
Thanka man.

Did you get those 18ozers yet?
You mean the Cletos from Mexicanfightgear? Not yet, bro. I'm expecting them anytime this week. Postal system moves kinda slow here, so I've learned to be patient when waiting for a package. As much as I can be anyway.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
Mark Limbaga
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Btw, BPhenom... have you tried the Primetime slimline sparring gloves? I've read reviews of all of KOFightgear's gloves, but none yet of the Primetimes.
when I get extra money to burn, I'll probably get a pair. Got any plans of getting anything from primetime soon?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
crossdx
level 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPhenom View Post
when I get extra money to burn, I'll probably get a pair. Got any plans of getting anything from primetime soon?
Not anytime soon, I'm still kinda broke from my last order at Cageside, hehe. Maybe next month. I'm mostly interested in their MMA training gloves, the 7oz w/o thumb loop.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
888Shogun888

Blue Belt

jfak I have the fairtex thai style training gloves which are pretty similar to the super sparring gloves that you are looking at. They are a bit wide but overall they are fantastic gloves. I have used them for very light sparring on a few occasions when someone needed a sparring partner and I did not have my sparring gloves. I usually use them for bag and pad work (i always tell my sparring partner of course that I use them for bag work)
They are very durable as anyone that uses fairtex will tell you. In my experience when going for str8 sparring gloves it is best to go with traditional boxing style gloves as opposed to muay thai. Muay thai gloves can be a bit wide and bulky for me which sometimes can affect my game. I prefer str8 boxing style gloves when sparring for some reason. I like precise shots so with slimmer gloves I can slip stuff in through my opponents guard. This might just be me though. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options.

mFairtex Thai Style Training Gloves at Ringside.com

888Shogun888 is offline   Reply With Quote