Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Gear & Equipment Discussion

Gear & Equipment Discussion Did I mention that the gear you use is cheap and flimsy?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
yer man

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
best way to keep gloves and shin guards clean

I recently bought a lovely pair of fairtex mma training gloves and shin guards but was wondering if any of you guys have any hints on cleaning them without damaging them
I'm a bit of a sweaty f*cker!

yer man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
n8pee

Yellow Belt

Honestly I just towel em off and leave out to dry. Needless to say, don't leave them in your gym bag - even overnight they can grow some moldy funk.

I've seen people use Febreeze to remove the funk - but my gear doesn't stink to that degree.

n8pee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
drumerdud

Blue Belt

Petroleum jelly every month.

drumerdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
vu

Purple Belt

I sweat quite a bit also...and all I do is air it out in a well-ventilated area after use...

And if we're sparring and my sweat and my partners' sweat is all over my gloves and shin pads and junk, then I'll wipe it down with a damp towel and air it out...in the case of my shin pads, though, I'll also run those under the faucet in my bathtub (synthetic leather, afterall) just to rinse all the dried up sweat and skin and crap off the inside of the shin pads; then, of course, air out/air-dry...

vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
BJJK1

Green Belt

are you talking about inside of the gloves? if you sweat alot, try using a hair dryer to dry out the inside once a while.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
ntak

White Belt

I highly recommend a spray called Nature's Miracle. I originally bought it to clean up my dog's accidents when he was a puppy, but it works great on any organic matter. It's cheap, environmentally friendly, and can be found at any local pet store.

"Consists of billions of natural enzymes that turn organic stains and odor causing materials into a liquid that you simply wipe away. Eliminates stains and odors from pet accidents permanently--even urine odors other products fail to remove--with no perfume cover-up."
Attached Thumbnails
p_3984_23752.jpg  

Last edited by ntak; 06-08-2007 at 10:59 AM.
ntak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
KoolDog

White Belt

Saddle soap, it has been around for years for cleaning saddles. You can find it in any major store that sales shoes. Also, take a pair of old socks and fill them with cedar chips and then place them inside your glove, this will rid the smell. You can buy a 10 pound bag of chips at Wal mart for ten bucks it is used for dog bedding.

KoolDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
KPB

Orange Belt

+1 on the wood chips in an old sock.

Get the stuff out of your gym bag asap, every time. I have a wire rack in my laundry room, and I put them there to dry as soon as I get home. Letting them air out in the sun once in a while will help keep them fresh too.

Use some sort of leather conditioner, like Lexol, on the outside. This will help keep your sweat that drips off you from being absorbed by the gloves.

One pair of my gloves did get the stink big time. It was hard to hold them near my face. What I did was dry them out really well, and then treat them with the anti-bacterial Febreze. It took a few treatments and some time in the sun airing out, but they are now fine.

Another thing that helps is using clean hand wraps and washing your hands well before you put the gloves on.

Last edited by KPB; 06-08-2007 at 01:35 PM.
KPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Cletus

White Belt

I have rogue mma gloves and shin pads, and i usualy just let them air dry etc, but on occasion they have been real stinky-assed, and i've put them in the washing machine on a low heat wash, and apart from very slight fading of the colour (they've faded worse from use) there has been no problem

Old 06-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
yer man

Orange Belt

thanks for the tips
so basically I need to air them a lot then when they start to stink fabreeze
cletus are yo gonna head up to belfast for the ufc

yer man is offline   Reply With Quote