Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
physicaltherapy

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Yet another creatine question: How fast does creatine turn into creatinine?

Can it be mixed in my PWO drink, sit in my car for 2 hours while I'm sweat humping men in my BJJ class, and be alright to drink afterwards? Or should I just leave it (and my other PWO crap) in powder form and mix it with water afterwards in my shaker bottle?

physicaltherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
MikeMartial
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicaltherapy View Post
Can it be mixed in my PWO drink, sit in my car for 2 hours while I'm sweat humping men in my BJJ class, and be alright to drink afterwards? Or should I just leave it (and my other PWO crap) in powder form and mix it with water afterwards in my shaker bottle?
I think the general consensus is to leave it in powdered form until you are ready to drink it.

But you do bring up an interesting question on the degradation time; I believe either Madmick or KK posted on this a while back, and it took "days" for a creatine mix to completely break down. Throwing "creatinine" into the Sherdog search brings up zip.

They may be some breakdown over two hours, but I can't see it being much. I'll see if I can actually dig up some numbers.

-Robb Wolf
MikeMartial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjkd12 View Post
IIRC the process of creatine converting to creatinine in a liquid is pretty slow. So don't mix a weeks worth of creatine on sunday since by friday some of it may be creatinine.

Creatinine isn't toxic at all. Its freely filtered in the kidneys so it doesn't stress them at all. The reason why people think its toxic is that if you have a lot of it in your urine and you aren't an athlete and you aren't taking creatine that can be a sign of failing kidneys. But larger, more muscular people and people supplementing creatine naturally have higher levels and its fine.

Also creatinine is just waste, so it doesn't "contaminate" your shake or anything. 3% creatinine in your shake won't make any difference. 20% won't make any difference either. If you are that concerned about it, just add a tiny bit more. Then if 20% of your 6 grams of creatine converts, you still have a good amount left.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=541574

April 2nd 1982 - January 8th 2014
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
MikeMartial
Senior Moderator

Icon14

Great find, thanks Sonny.

-Robb Wolf
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #5
Monger
Chronically Injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMartial View Post
I believe either Madmick or KK posted on this a while back, and it took "days" for a creatine mix to completely break down.

LoL, I'm fairly certain you posted a link to something as well. I remember finding a source that said it would take about 1-2 days to have significant degradation. Iím fairly sure in that same thread you found a source that mentioned it could be even longer... But I can't recall the exact time or find the thread.

Cool post by RJ though. Bottom line seems to be... it doesn't make sense to mix the creatine until you have to. But if you need to mix it a couple of hours in advance that's not an issue either.

Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Rjkd12
Certified Bastard

Great find sonny. What a concise and eloquent post you dug up there.

Edit: Actually, I tried looking this up and in the 5 minutes I devoted to this search, I found only one thing: http://www.aapspharmscitech.org/view.asp?art=pt040225

Quote:
Ninety percent creatine degradation was observed within 45 days for RT [Room temp] samples. However, at refrigerated condition this degradation was 80% within the same time period.
After 45 days in a fridge it was 80% creatine, and the room temp stuff was still 10% creatine. So a few hours isn't going to make any noticeable difference.

"Every day is a kidney day"

Last edited by Rjkd12; 11-12-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Rjkd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjkd12 View Post
Great find sonny. What a concise and eloquent post you dug up there.

Edit: Actually, I tried looking this up and in the 5 minutes I devoted to this search, I found only one thing: http://www.aapspharmscitech.org/view.asp?art=pt040225

After 45 days in a fridge it was 80% creatine, and the room temp stuff was still 10% creatine. So a few hours isn't going to make any noticeable difference.
Wow, that's quite a difference between refrigerated and room temp.

April 2nd 1982 - January 8th 2014
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
physicaltherapy

Green Belt

Awwwwww you guys are just jee golly gosh darn...... thanks.

physicaltherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
Monger
Chronically Injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post
LoL, I'm fairly certain you posted a link to something as well.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...adation&page=2

It was in this thread, Mike.

Monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
MikeMartial
Senior Moderator

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post
Christ almighty, this is why I hate shiftwork. I swear to god I forget half the shit I post. I'm sure one day I'm going to post a question that I've already answered.

Thanks Monger

-Robb Wolf