Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Raging Daemon

White Belt

vCash: 500
Would BCAA/Fish Oil break intemittent fasting?

Thread title.

Wondering if anyone knows if taking some bcaa's and/or fish oil during the fasting part of an intermittent fast would "break" it and thus not really make it a fast any longer?

As a side-bar, is there some caloric or other threshold below which the body is in a fasted state? Apart from the obvious.

Fairly certain bcaa's/fishoil/multi are fine, but doesn't hurt to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Raging Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
mmafreedom

Purple Belt

Martin Berkham recommends BCAAs before training and in cases where you don't eat for a couple hours post training he alsos recommends taking BCAA every couple hours. Multi would be fine, not sure about Fish oil though. I'm not a I.F know it all though so wait for others input.

mmafreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Raging Daemon

White Belt

I've heard the same BCAA suggestion which is why I started taking them when I started the IF thing.

Fish oil is the big question mark it seems.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Revok

Brown Belt

It's pure fat, so it's hardly calorie-free. My guess would be you're supposed to treat it the same as you do all other foods.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
Arpie

Orange Belt

Pretty sure fishoil is absorbed better when taken with a fat-containing meal. So what I would do:

During fast: BCAAs + water soluble vitamins + supplements to be taken on an empty stomach
During feeding: Fishoil + fat soluble vitamins + minerals

Hope that helps

Arpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Nemesis48

Blue Belt

Just look at the nutritional facts on a fish oil bottle. It's saturated fat + calories. Would be similar as eating some gristle from a steak. In my experience MINISCULE amounts of food will not interfere with your IF, but I would not risk it. The only thing I consume while fasting is water.

Nemesis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Raging Daemon

White Belt

Thanks for the input guys.

Calorically speaking, my dose of BCAA is 40 calories 10 of which are from protein, and each fish oil dose is approximately 40 as well, albeit all of it from fat.

That's why I asked if there was some threshold, or rule of thumb, because if BCAA's are agreed upon as ok in terms of not breaking the IF, given that it is the same amount of calories, what is it about the fish oil that would? Just the fact that it's fat vs protein?

Arpie, you brought up something I wasn't even thinking about re: solubility. Now I'll be able to switch up when and with what I take my supplements.

During fast: regular multi, bcaa's, (creatine + beta alanine + ALA) - mornings on exercise days

During feeding: vitamin d3, magnesium, fish oil

Old 12-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Madmick
You Can't Stop the Signal

Your body is not meant to fast; there is a difference between the body benefiting from stress and from coping with stress. I know fasting is popular with numerous longtime posters in here, but I will again strongly voice my opposition to its recommendation, and that the majority of the science investigating the matter I've reviewed clearly indicates that it's not healthy. In fact, they've found an increase in the probability of unfavorable genetic-line mutations amongst individuals descended from populations that experienced extended periods of fasting (aka starvation). That means that people who have experienced starvation are more likely to have children with inferior physiology (ex. more prone to cancer).

I know what the pro-fasters will say. "Fasting isn't starvation." Well, yeah, it is. It's just starvation in a shorter time frame.

Madmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
Raging Daemon

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmick View Post
Your body is not meant to fast; there is a difference between the body benefiting from stress and from coping with stress. I know fasting is popular with numerous longtime posters in here, but I will again strongly voice my opposition to its recommendation, and that the majority of the science investigating the matter I've reviewed clearly indicates that it's not healthy. In fact, they've found an increase in the probability of unfavorable genetic-line mutations amongst individuals descended from populations that experienced extended periods of fasting (aka starvation). That means that people who have experienced starvation are more likely to have children with inferior physiology (ex. more prone to cancer).

I know what the pro-fasters will say. "Fasting isn't starvation." Well, yeah, it is. It's just starvation in a shorter time frame.
I'm interested in trying to min/max when I do most things. I've been using IF as a caloric restriction protocol and have mostly come across positive things in regard to it.

If you could point me to the info on the counter argument I will gladly take a look.

At what point would a generally accepted 8-12 hour "fast" between dinner and breakfast turn into harmful starvation?

Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Madmick
You Can't Stop the Signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Daemon View Post
I'm interested in trying to min/max when I do most things. I've been using IF as a caloric restriction protocol and have mostly come across positive things in regard to it.

If you could point me to the info on the counter argument I will gladly take a look.

At what point would a generally accepted 8-12 hour "fast" between dinner and breakfast turn into harmful starvation?
Nvm, I don't even consider that a "fast".

Madmick is offline   Reply With Quote