Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
KAYNE

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Using a nutritionist?

I talked to a guy a while ago that was getting ready for a Natural body building contest. He had been using a nutritionist to get ready. He said he would send him pictures every week with some other info such as Body fat etc. Then the guy would write him a diet plan based on his goals. Anybody ever try this?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Vedic

Purple Belt

I sort of do it for a living. it's common practice today with nutrition advice. Quite a few trainers do it.

Vedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
XTrainer

Red Belt

I am not nor have I ever used a nutritionist, but I would be shocked if 90% of them weren't the conventional wisdom "low fat/don't eat the yolks/fad diet of the month" type. Vedic can confirm or refute that, but that's the impression I always got.

XTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Vedic

Purple Belt

That would be very true. Most themselves are not in shape and if you ran a blood lipid profile most are not healthy.

I can tell you that first hand from being the executive chef at the University of utah kitchen. I used to go rounds with nutritionist about giving diabetics the wrong things. 99% wouldn't know who Dr. Cordain is if you said his name. Yet he got his PhD there. All depends on the individual and specializations etc.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Gary Peters
Professional Fighter

Read the faqs and studies posted here and figure it out on your own. It's much more satisfying. I do not have any papers stating I am a "Nutritionist" but i'm willing to bet I have a better understanding of it than most of them. I usually use trial and error then compare my ideas with what people like Vedic and other regulars have to say.

Gary Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
KAYNE

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedic View Post
That would be very true. Most themselves are not in shape and if you ran a blood lipid profile most are not healthy.

I can tell you that first hand from being the executive chef at the University of utah kitchen. I used to go rounds with nutritionist about giving diabetics the wrong things. 99% wouldn't know who Dr. Cordain is if you said his name. Yet he got his PhD there. All depends on the individual and specializations etc.
HA I am from utah. Anyway, The specialization I think would be key. I wouldnt be looking for a "bodybuilder" type program. More weight loss for fight shape type program. Eat less fat duh what I am concerned with is the timing of it all and what to eat when.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
KAYNE

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honra View Post
Read the faqs and studies posted here and figure it out on your own. It's much more satisfying. I do not have any papers stating I am a "Nutritionist" but i'm willing to bet I have a better understanding of it than most of them. I usually use trial and error then compare my ideas with what people like Vedic and other regulars have to say.
I feel I have a pretty good understanding of basic nutrition. But it aint working for me so far. I have a consistencey issue with it. I have read the faqs etc.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Vedic

Purple Belt

Consistency and proper macro profiles for exertion levels is key.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
XTrainer

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYNE View Post
Eat less fat duh .
No. Not "duh" at all.

XTrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
KAYNE

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrainer View Post
No. Not "duh" at all.
I was being sarcastic. I was thinking about Honra's post I pay somebody to teach me muay thai right??? Why not pay for somebody to teach me nutrition??

Same thing right? Read the faq learn to fight!!! I have been paying all this money for no god damn reason!!!

Again sarcasm.

I get the feeling there is more to this than just the faq's.