Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
CopperThrow**
Banned

vCash: 500
Spinach smoothie causing diarrhea/stomach cramps.

For the past week, I've been making a smoothie that I take at about 2 o clock in the afternoon. It contains:

Handful of spinach
Small handful of kale
Handful of cranberries
A few chunks of rhubarb
One scoop of whey protein
One scoop of Greens+
One scoop of VegeGreens

Suprisingly, it actually tastes quite good but the problem is that a few hours later I get some really tough stomach pains accompanied with diarrhea. The diarrhea comes out green and powdery sort of. Its like the green nutrients seem to be just passing right through me.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could anyone possibly give me some advice or maybe let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Could it be that I'm allergic to this combo? Or is it just truly an innapropriate mixture?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

CopperThrow** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Steakeater**
Banned

hmmmmm

handfulls of spinach, kale, cranberries, and rhubarb in a cup. I wonder why

Steakeater** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
turbozed

Red Belt

It's the kale I think.

I can eat a lot of raw spinach but when I eat raw kale my stomach can't handle it. Take out the kale and rhubarb and then see how it goes. If you're fine, add in the rhubarb. If you're fine add in the kale. If you start shitting that nasty stuff again then you'll know it is the kale.

turbozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
stock05

White Belt

dont quote me on this, but i believe rhubarb is poisonous if not cooked and in order to absorb the nutrients in spinach it must first be cooked.

stock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Endo
o hai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
It's the kale I think.

I can eat a lot of raw spinach but when I eat raw kale my stomach can't handle it.
man up puss!

lol j/k It's understandable. I can stomach it without issues but the taste makes me want to hurl. Kale just has that really, really, strong distinct taste. I went on a Kale binge for 3 weeks before I quit. No doubt Kale is extremely good for you, but that was enough of that.

Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
turbozed

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoGlo View Post
man up puss!

lol j/k It's understandable. I can stomach it without issues but the taste makes me want to hurl. Kale just has that really, really, strong distinct taste. I went on a Kale binge for 3 weeks before I quit. No doubt Kale is extremely good for you, but that was enough of that.
My stomach is made of cast iron. After a trip to Vietnam last year where I had stomach flu/food poisoning, nothing has made it queasy. I'm under the impression that man was not meant to consume large amounts of raw kale.

turbozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
CopperThrow**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock05 View Post
dont quote me on this, but i believe rhubarb is poisonous if not cooked and in order to absorb the nutrients in spinach it must first be cooked.
Naw, that can't be true. People eat raw spinach all the time in spinach salads and what not. As for the rhubarb, I could be mistaken, but if it was poisonous to eat raw, wouldnt they have a warning label on my bag of frozen rhubarb chunks?

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll keep modifying the recipe and see what works for me, I suppose.

CopperThrow** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
XMoker

Blue Belt

Take out a different ingredient a day. The day you don't shit your pants, post here and tell us what you took out..

Last edited by XMoker; 09-08-2009 at 11:08 PM.
XMoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #9
Loomy

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperThrow View Post
Handful of spinach
Small handful of kale
Handful of cranberries
A few chunks of rhubarb
One scoop of whey protein
One scoop of Greens+
One scoop of VegeGreens
what the shit is this. a stomach full of 4 raw plants and like 50 dry plant powders? WHY????? this is not what nature intended!!!!!!!!!

this is like mixing protein powder with cream and then pouring it on your steak

Loomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Ian Coe
Professional Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbozed View Post
It's the kale I think.

I can eat a lot of raw spinach but when I eat raw kale my stomach can't handle it. Take out the kale and rhubarb and then see how it goes. If you're fine, add in the rhubarb. If you're fine add in the kale. If you start shitting that nasty stuff again then you'll know it is the kale.
I'm the same

I tried eating nothing but raw kale, broccolli and tuna or something similar (poached chicken) for a while.

About 3-4 hours after I finished, toilet explosion everytime

Myprotein.co.uk 5% discount code- MP23039
Ian Coe is offline   Reply With Quote