Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
$ick Money!

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Poor Mans Almonds

I bought some Apricot Kernels from Trader Joes and they are fucking Delicious. They look exactly like an almond but slightly smaller and have the same macronutrient profile. They have a weird almorato (sp?) aftertaste that makes you want to eat more and they only cost $1.99 for a decent sized bag.

http://bakingbites.com/wp-content/up...cotkernels.jpg

-Dale Doback
$ick Money! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Endo
o hai!

Quote:
Trader Joe’s recently started stocking Sweet Apricot Kernels - a.k.a. poor man’s “almonds” or “bitter almonds” - in their nut aisle. This came as quite a surprise to me because my first though after seeing them was “aren’t apricot kernels poisionous?” The answer is yes. The kernels contain amygdalin, which contains cyanide. A study conducted by the State Department of Agriculture and Markets of New York in 1993 found that an 8-oz package of these kernels contains twice the lethal dosage of cyanide needed to kill an adult, but the USDA hasn’t had - or hadn’t at that time - had any reports of deal associated with the product so you can still find it in some stores and in many culinary uses. Usually called “bitter almonds” in recipes, the kernels can be used used in jam, marzipan and amaretto liqueur.
They have a distinctly fruity flavor and remind me strongly of an apricot hard cider I had once. Nutty and slightly bitter, with an undercurrent of dried apricot. Despite their appearance, they don’t taste like almonds and are much softer in texture, although they are still crunchy. They grow on you after eating one or two, but they’re a bit of an acquired taste and aren’t going to replace any other nuts in my kitchen. As a matter of fact, although they have a unique flavor that might suit some recipes, I probably won’t be using these. The worry about overusing them and experiencing nausea, fever, headaches, weakness, lethargy, or any of the other symptoms of cyanide poisoning, makes me a little too nervous to add these to the rotation
Sweet Apricot Kernels, reviewed | Baking Bites from the same site.

Apricot kernel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
An apricot kernel (Prunus armeniaca, "Armenian plum" in Latin) refers to the kernel of a species of Prunus, classified with the plum in the subgenus Prunus. It is known for containing amygdalin, a toxic cyanogenic glycoside.
Apricot kernels can sometimes be strong-tasting and bitter. They feature in recipes for apricot jam, and Italian amaretto cookies and liqueur.[citation needed] Taken in excess, they may produce symptoms of cyanide poisoning, including nausea, fever, rash, headaches, insomnia, increased thirst, weakness, lethargy, nervousness, various aches and pains in joints and muscles, a drop in blood pressure
Well if you die... let us know.

Last edited by Endo; 07-08-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
IDRISCKY

Purple Belt

Or you could just buy 3lb at Sam's Club for under 10 bucks.

IDRISCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
$ick Money!

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoGlo View Post
I knew there was a catch.

-Dale Doback
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Endo
o hai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRISCKY View Post
Or you could just buy 3lb at Sam's Club for under 10 bucks.
What are you serious? Awesome. A little bag at Shoppers is like 8 bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ick Money! View Post
I knew there was a catch.
That's a little bit more than a catch.

Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Saith
UFC poster boy

I like to chew hemlock leaves.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
$ick Money!

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saith View Post
I like to chew hemlock leaves.
They can be hard to find. I like to do a shot of drano with bleach for a chaser.

-Dale Doback
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #8
Gary Peters
Professional Fighter

I think i'll pass on these. ;)

Gary Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
immovablestone

Purple Belt

They've been used in alternative medicine for quite a while, but all the same, unless I have cancer, I'll likely pass...

Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
canadapride**
Banned

more like dead mans almonds LMAO

canadapride** is offline   Reply With Quote