Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
NobleMD

White Belt

vCash: 500
Need something Post Workout

I am currently taking:
- Fish Oil (1x AM)
- Mens Multi Vitamin (1x AM)
- D4 Thermal Shock (1xAM & 1xNoon)
- C4 30-45 min prior to WO (around 5:30pm)

I just ordered:
- Scivation Xtend - heard good reviews. Taking during the workout mixed with water.

Usually I just make a protein shake after a workout but was looking at the MP Re-Con or something with BCAA's and Glutamine. Anyone have a suggestion?

NobleMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
hardheart

Brown Belt

If you are using vanilla protein and want more BCAAs than it offers, you can always throw in a scoop of Xtend....just sayin.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
dropshot001

Red Belt

I use whey isolate and a carb source like waxy maize or potato starch. Simple but it works. Bcaas can be thrown into the shake if you want to up the content of it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
airman20012001

Green Belt

muscletech protien best protien Ive ever used gnc carrys it

airman20012001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Dogstarman
Oldtimer

Whey protein? Does it really have to be so difficult? I take BCAA during and whey after.

Dogstarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
mmadragon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleMD View Post
I am currently taking:
- Fish Oil (1x AM)
- Mens Multi Vitamin (1x AM)
- D4 Thermal Shock (1xAM & 1xNoon)
- C4 30-45 min prior to WO (around 5:30pm)

I just ordered:
- Scivation Xtend - heard good reviews. Taking during the workout mixed with water.

Usually I just make a protein shake after a workout but was looking at the MP Re-Con or something with BCAA's and Glutamine. Anyone have a suggestion?
muscletech products are pricey they are the innovators of making overpriced supplemts but their protein shakes are good

any quality whey protein shake or protein shake is good for a post wrokout drink for recovery

mmadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
thewhiteSRR

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogstarman View Post
Whey protein? Does it really have to be so difficult? I take BCAA during and whey after.
x2.

I train fasted, so BCAA's during and then whey twenty minutes PWO.

thewhiteSRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
magnitude

Orange Belt

Just take endurox r4. I'm a triathlete and this thing allows me to ride 20 miles and run 5 miles for 4 days a week. I swim twice a week.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Madmick
You Can't Stop the Signal

Save the Scivation for during your workouts to reap the unique potential benefits of BCAA's. If you're taking something post-workout, save the money and use Google shopping to find the cheapest price from a reliable seller on a solid Milk Protein Isolate (80:20 of Casein:Whey) like Gaspari Myofusion or Dymatize Elite Gourmet. If you don't ever drink the BCAA's in the Scivation during your workout, then do like Hard Heart recommends, and toss in a scoop of the BCAA's with your cheaper protein. Bang! Best of both worlds.

If you can find plain Whey Protein Concentrate (i.e. WPC) for substantially cheaper than those I've recommended, then get it. I think my local Costco stocks Cytosport's 5lb tubs of Complete Whey for $35. Long gone are the days when I believed that substantial differences would be reaped depending on the type of protein you take PWO (ex. WPC vs. Hydrolyzed Protein). Ultimately, it's about the macros. If you want to grow, and assuming your diet and training regimen would otherwise be identical, then the guy taking 3x grams of Whey Protein Concentrate will outgrow the guy taking 2x grams of MPI or BCAA or Hydrolyzed Protein or specialty formulas like Endurox or others with added Glutamine/MCT's/Waxy-Maize/whatever...every single time.

It's about calories, and meeting a protein minimum (that is much lower than the supplement industry wants you to believe). Sugars/Starches are cheaper beyond the minimum for fortifying your calorie intake from a powder, but they do present a substantial glycemic load if that's a concern for you. But ultimately, it's about energy.

That's it.

I hereby decree this the Official Sherdog HW Forum shibboleth.

Last edited by Madmick; 03-29-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Madmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Grandpa Ivan

White Belt

I think the best after-workouts: Mp recon, Universal Torrent

Grandpa Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote