Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Konijo

White Belt

vCash: 500
My First Attempt At Watching My Intake Since High School

So I have recently (within the past month and a half) been able to start watching what I am eating without breaking down and giving up again (really only calorie counting. So far, I've just been planning on doing that until my fat loss plateaus and then start focusing on my macro intake.) Now, I already know most people are going to say, "Quit the calorie counting crap. Figure out your fat/carb/protein intake and go by that instead", but as I said, I'll focus on that once my fat loss starts to stop. I was hoping I could get some input on how I've been eating. It's not a diet, just paying attention to what I'm eating, avoiding overeating, etc.

Morning- 7 AM
I've been just having about half a sandwich bag of mixed fruit. I'll start having half a cup (pre-preperation) of steel cut oats and a banana on Monday morning

Lunch- 11 AM
Usually, because it is so close to were I work and because my coworkers get it a lot, I'll get Subway, 6" daily special on wheat, no cheese, a bag of the Baked BBQ Lay's, and a diet Coke.

Mid Afternoon- 2:30-3:30 PM
Some sort of fruit from home that I brought to work, either a pear, banana, or apple.

Dinner- 6:30-7:30 PM
Usually, it's totally up in the air. It depends on what my grandma has made for our family (usually Southern cooking, unfortunately.) I watch the calories with this stuff and NEVER eat something I know I shouldn't be. Anything I can do to cut the calories in her cooking, I make sure I do it. I know I should just make my own dinner, but it's family.

Post Workout-
Protein shake, 1-2 scoops of whey + water, depending on my intake for the day and intensity of my workout.

I drink bottles of water all throughout the day.

I lift and run at least 3 days a week when I get home from work (around 5 PM), sometimes 5 days/week and my job is working in a Jeep parts warehouse where I'm usually walking around the whole day.

I eat roughly 1,400-1,800 calories/day, depending on what's going on and what I am able to eat. I feel like this isn't enough a lot of times, but I sometimes have to force myself to eat because I'm not eating enough even though I'm not hungry. Do I need to eat more? Right now, I'm-
~190 lbs. A lot of fat on me that I'm trying to get rid of.
5'9"

I have a feeling I'm about to get seriously flamed... O.o

Input is appreciated. I'm just trying to learn more about dieting/eating and my intake.

Thanks

Last edited by Konijo; 02-18-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Konijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Pathogenic
Wo Cao Ni Ma

I can't sit here and tell you what to eat. If you're losing bodyfat at an appreciable rate, are preserving LBM reasonably well, and you don't feel like shit/have horrible problems dealing with hunger then I don't see any reason to change what you're doing. If you are intent on doing things this way, then the only thing I would recommend is more protein. Try to get 1g/lb (of LBM) in protein per day.

If/when you start to plateau, read the FAQ and get a copy of Lyle McDonald's "A Guide to Flexible Dieting."

Also, I wouldn't recommend going as low as 1400.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Konijo

White Belt

Thanks, I feel like my fat loss has slowed substantially, but we will see tomorrow morning.

Konijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
Nemesis48

Blue Belt

Less carbs replaced with fat/protein and intermittent fasting. IF will rip your BF a new one.

Nemesis48 is offline   Reply With Quote