Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #261
lildog
A Warrior's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheart View Post
For most people, who are eating correctly, a multi is not needed; however, MOST people do not eat correctly and will be missing one or more essential micro-nutrients. This is why I personally, and most other people, put it as the #1 most important supplement. It's like rebooting a computer when something is wrong. Easiest place to start.
Do you think most people can digest all or most of the micro nutrients in multivitamins? Sometimes its loaded with lots of stuff "supposedly" like Garden of Life's or Alive's etc. They have tons of stuff listed in their label but idk it just seems highly unlikely that 1.) it has all the mineral/vitamins it says it does and 2.) you can digest all that even in 3 doses a day.

Have their been reputable studies done on the above primarily the ability to take in all that reported goodness? Thanks.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #262
sponger11

White Belt

Does anybody have an opinion on Nu-Tek's Nature's Fuel. I'm a noob and I purchased this from Nutrishop. It's $25 for 30 servings of powder. I've been pretty pleased with it, but maybe you guys can suggest a cheaper and/or better multi-vitamin I can take.

sponger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #263
hardheart

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildog View Post
Do you think most people can digest all or most of the micro nutrients in multivitamins? Sometimes its loaded with lots of stuff "supposedly" like Garden of Life's or Alive's etc. They have tons of stuff listed in their label but idk it just seems highly unlikely that 1.) it has all the mineral/vitamins it says it does and 2.) you can digest all that even in 3 doses a day.

Have their been reputable studies done on the above primarily the ability to take in all that reported goodness? Thanks.
Initial search shows about 3307 results that include the words "multivitamin" & "absorption" in journals & magazines. I'll refine my search and get back to you. I'd venture to say the proof is out there, but I really haven't looked well enough to say with authority.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #264
ormus

White Belt

I think multivitamins that are lumped together like this suck! That's like putting regular unleaded gasoline in Ferrari you need race fuel. If you want to increase your absorption take bioperine I think some fulvic acid will help with some of those minerals.

ormus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #265
Lochlan

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joleee View Post
i dont know why all of you swear oon multivitamins because every article i read says it isnt neccesary and you dont need them even my dad whose a doc says i dont need them.

one of the first things on the net i found googling multivitamins:
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News
1) I know when I am looking for nutrient advice I always look to local papers from India.

2. The study in the article is from NANCY University. Troll-job?

Lochlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #266
Lochlan

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Tried searching and couldn't find it, but what do you guys think of OPTI-MEN? It's pretty soluble, and full of nutrients.

Opti-Men Reviews: 9.1/10 (Optimum) - SupplementReviews.com

However it was recently banned in Canada as far as I know. Any reason to that? I've taken it before with no ill-effects (that I'm aware of, besides getting hot the first time) and I have a friend that was also swearing by it.

I use Orange Triad now.
Ordered 2 180ct bottles from Supplements Canada 3 days ago...were delivered yesterday. Dont think they are banned.

They were also on the shelf at GNC last time I was there about 3 weeks ago.

PS, I have been using them for about a year, and have had no complaints

Lochlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #267
Fenderson

Green Belt

Jesus, I've read the whole thread and still can't work out which multi vit I should buy. I'm 21 my diets ok, pretty good, i do lots of exercise (weights, running, mma) and have been using supermarket vitamins (multi vit and cod liver) can anyone please tell me what I should get. I live in the uk if that makes a difference.

Fenderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #268
hardheart

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderson View Post
Jesus, I've read the whole thread and still can't work out which multi vit I should buy. I'm 21 my diets ok, pretty good, i do lots of exercise (weights, running, mma) and have been using supermarket vitamins (multi vit and cod liver) can anyone please tell me what I should get. I live in the uk if that makes a difference.
Multi:

Optimum Opti-Men at Bodybuilding.com: Lowest Prices for Opti-Men

Fish Oil:

Costco - Kirkland Signature™ Enteric Coated Omega-3 Fish Oil Concentrate 1200 mg

Old 03-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #269
Fenderson

Green Belt

Thanks a lot for this will order tomorrow. Also what's your opinion on calcium supps. I'm guessing your going to say there a waste of money if I have a healthy diet, but I want to be sure I'm getting enough calcium in my diet for strong bones and teeth. Could you maybe advise me on a good calcium supp. This is most appreciated.

Fenderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #270
hardheart

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderson View Post
Thanks a lot for this will order tomorrow. Also what's your opinion on calcium supps. I'm guessing your going to say there a waste of money if I have a healthy diet, but I want to be sure I'm getting enough calcium in my diet for strong bones and teeth. Could you maybe advise me on a good calcium supp. This is most appreciated.
Calcium is tricky, because you can over do it. I could be mistaken, but one of the side-effects of too much calcium is kidney stones. Take a look at where your total calcium is from the foods you typically eat & your vitamin, and if you're anywhere near 100-200% of the DRV then I would steer clear of a calcium supplement. This is all with two exceptions:

1. If you are taking cissus quadrangularis supplementing calcium is also a good idea as cissus has been shown to increase your body's metabolism of calcium
2. If you have a prior bone or other connective tissue injury from which a health professional has recommended you supplement calcium