Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
KiddMuscle**
Banned

vCash: 500
Are any supplements mandatory for fighters?

My question is: is there any supplements/foods every fighter should be taking for optimum performance, and if so why.
I know alot of you advocate fish oil, but im a little unenlightened as to why it's so beneficial.
Protein? Creatine? Pre-Workouts?
Thanks in Advance.

KiddMuscle** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Pathogenic
Wo Cao Ni Ma

Fish oil (joint health, brain health, mood, cardiovascular health), multivitamin.

Optional: protein (if you don't get enough), creatine. If you decide to take creatine, buy monohydrate in bulk.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
DrakeSaint

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddMuscle View Post
My question is: is there any supplements/foods every fighter should be taking for optimum performance, and if so why.
I know alot of you advocate fish oil, but im a little unenlightened as to why it's so beneficial.
Protein? Creatine? Pre-Workouts?
Thanks in Advance.
My personal rates. Higher means a must; lower, not that much, but still are good if you can afford them.

Whey/Casein for muscle improvement, not only hypertrophy. 4/5

Creatine for increased anabolic performance (up to ~10%). 5/5

Pre-Workouts for increased energy, general muscle recovery and such; these should be always checked for drug testing, since a few of them have prohibitted substances (Jack3d comes to mind). 4/5

Fish oil is good for your health generally, but alone won't make you a better athlete. 2/5

Glutamine is essential for muscle recovery. 4/5

Vitamin supplements are a must for anyone, not only athletes. 5/5

So, answering your question: yes. Most are essential. You can live without them, but they will improve your performance a lot, more if you don't have enough time or the lifestyle to eat accordingly.

DrakeSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
dropshot001

Red Belt

joint support and a multi. a good diet can cover the rest pretty well

Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Pathogenic
Wo Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeSaint View Post
My personal rates. Higher means a must; lower, not that much, but still are good if you can afford them.

Whey/Casein for muscle improvement, not only hypertrophy. 4/5
Protein is essential, but protein powder is not.

Quote:
Creatine for increased anabolic performance (up to ~10%). 5/5
While I sincerely doubt your numbers, as well as the definition of anabolic performance, creatine is a good supplement.

Quote:
Pre-Workouts for increased energy, general muscle recovery and such; these should be always checked for drug testing, since a few of them have prohibitted substances (Jack3d comes to mind). 4/5
Caffeine + B12 works just as well and saves you $30+ per month.

Quote:
Fish oil is good for your health generally, but alone won't make you a better athlete. 2/5
I suppose that having superior brain, cardiovascular, and joint health doesn't make one a better athlete, but it also reduces inflammation which helps you recover.

Quote:
Glutamine is essential for muscle recovery. 4/5
Glutamine is utterly worthless.
Glutamine: the nonessential amino acid f... [Curr Sports Med Rep. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
Vitamin supplements are a must for anyone, not only athletes. 5/5
Agreed.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
DrakeSaint

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogenic View Post
Protein is essential, but protein powder is not.
You can't get better quality/money protein than whey and casein. You won't eat several dozens of pounds of meat everyday to meet your protein needs. You'll need it.

Quote:
While I sincerely doubt your numbers, as well as the definition of anabolic performance, creatine is a good supplement.
Can't link right now; several studies showed up to 10% performance increase in weight-lifting for athletes with saturated creatine in their bodies.

Quote:
Caffeine + B12 works just as well and saves you $30+ per month.
Agreed. Tested both, and this combo works just as fine. Some won't agree, though, which is why I didn't list it. The universal good-to-go stimulants are pre-workouts.

Quote:
I suppose that having superior brain, cardiovascular, and joint health doesn't make one a better athlete, but it also reduces inflammation which helps you recover.
Yes. But it's only marginal compared to the other supplements. Still agree with you on all it's benefits, though.

This one was quite shocking... Thanks for sharing, I obviously overrated this supplement.

DrakeSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Pathogenic
Wo Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
You can't get better quality/money protein than whey and casein. You won't eat several dozens of pounds of meat everyday to meet your protein needs. You'll need it.
Actually, if you're eating at maintenance (or more), then you only need 1g/lb (of lean body mass) in protein at most! In my experience, this is pretty easy to accomplish.

Quote:
Can't link right now; several studies showed up to 10% performance increase in weight-lifting for athletes with saturated creatine in their bodies.
That may be so, but it's not anabolic in the sense that it doesn't promote muscular growth like, say, anabolic agents. It does do a whole host of other useful things, though.

Quote:
Agreed. Tested both, and this combo works just as fine. Some won't agree, though, which is why I didn't list it. The universal good-to-go stimulants are pre-workouts.
Agreed.

Quote:
This one was quite shocking... Thanks for sharing, I obviously overrated this supplement.
No problem! If you're eating enough protein, then your glutamine needs will be fully covered :] it's useful for gut health in people on routine NSAID treatment like myself, though.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
KiddMuscle**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogenic View Post
creatine.
I have a question about this. Doesn't creatine make you gain weight? Isn't that somewhat a hindrance to a fighter? (especially one who has trouble cutting weight to begin with.)
Do you think the training benefits outweigh the additional weight gain?

KiddMuscle** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
scottm

Green Belt

Pathogenic is correct.

scottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
CeleresVerraden

Purple Belt

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/sh...d-barr-781962/