Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Dieting / Supplement Discussion

Dieting / Supplement Discussion You eat like a pig. You'll never be a champion if you stuff yourself with that slop. Get in here.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Chuck Boner
Banned

vCash: 500
88 year old man eats 25 eggs per day

I thought some of you might like to see this...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...39/ai_10673558

Two dozen eggs please hold the bacon - report on an elderly man who eats 25 eggs a day and yet maintains a normal cholesterol
Science News, April 13, 1991
Two dozen eggs please ... hold the bacon

An elderly man with a mammoth appetite for eggs serves as an extreme example that some people can eat large amounts of cholesterol-laden foods without harming their health.

In the March 28 NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, gastroenterologist Fred Kern Jr. of the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver describes an 88-year-old retirement-home resident who has consumed an average of 25 eggs daily for more than 15 years -- yet maintains normal levels of blood cholesterol. The man, diagnosed with a compulsive eating disorder, keeps a running tally of the two dozen softboiled eggs he methodically ingests throughout the day. He eats an otherwise normal diet and is of average weight.

Kern says the man's body has "extremely efficient compensatory mechanisms" that allow him to cope with the quantity of cholesterol he consumes. Not only do his intestines absorb only 18 percent of the cholesterol he ingests--50 to 60 percent is more normal -- but his liver also produces twice the normal level of the acids, breakdown products of cholesterol.

Margaret Flynn, a clinical dietician at the University of Missouri in Columbia, says the man's healthy cholesterol level is not surprising. "All of the studies we have done showed no effect [on blood cholesterol] of high egg consumption in a normal diet," she told SCIENCE NEWS.

COPYRIGHT 1991 Science Service, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2004 Gale Group

Also, here's a study I found...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Oct;19(5 Suppl):556S-562S.Related Articles, Links
Nutritional contribution of eggs to American diets.

Food and Nutrition Database Research Center, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824-1224, USA

OBJECTIVES: The main purposes of this study were (1) to assess the nutritional significance of eggs in the American diet and (2) to estimate the degree of association between egg consumption and serum cholesterol concentration.

METHODS: Data from the most recent National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey (NHANES III, 1988-94) were utilized to compare the nutritional quality indicators of diets that contained eggs (USDA food grouping system) with those that did not. Nutrient intake (from 24-hour dietary recall), egg intake (from food frequency questionnaire), sociodemographic data and blood cholesterol levels of subjects who met inclusion criteria (n = 27,378) were grouped according to the occurrence and frequency of egg consumption and were analyzed using SUDAAN.

RESULTS: Daily nutrient intake of egg consumers (EC) was significantly greater than that of nonconsumers (NC) for all nutrients studied (except dietary fiber and vitamin B6). Eggs contributed < 10% of daily intake of energy and vitamin B6, 10% to 20% of folate and total, saturated and polyunsaturated fat, and 20% to 30% of vitamins A, E and B12 in EC. Compared to EC, NC had higher rates of inadequate intake (defined by Estimated Average Requirements (EAR) or < 70% Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)) for vitamin B12 (10% vs. 21%), vitamin A (16% vs. 21%), vitamin E (14% vs. 22%) and vitamin C (15% vs. 20%). After adjusting for demographic (age, gender and ethnicity) and lifestyle variables (smoking and physical activity), dietary cholesterol was not related to serum cholesterol concentration. People who reported eating > or = 4 eggs/wk had a significantly lower mean serum cholesterol concentration than those who reported eating < or = 1 egg/wk (193 mg/dL vs. 197 mg/dL, p < 0.01). More frequent egg consumption was negatively associated with serum cholesterol concentration (beta = -6.45, p < 0.01).

CONCLUSIONS: In this cross-sectional and population-based study, egg consumption made important nutritional contributions to the American diet and was not associated with high serum cholesterol concentrations.

To sum up, eat your motherfuckin' whole eggs!
*Goes to make 25 egg omelette*

Chuck Boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
stylesbjj**
Banned

I was on 20 eggs a day for a a few months and I was fine. I was supposed to be on 36, but I was too lazy.

stylesbjj** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Chuck Boner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesbjj View Post
I was on 20 eggs a day for a a few months and I was fine. I was supposed to be on 36, but I was too lazy.
Cool, I usually eat 2 scrambled eggs every morning. I'm going to start eating more.

Chuck Boner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
ThePitBull32

Green Belt

I couldn't eat that many eggs everyday...

ThePitBull32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
TitansATB

Blue Belt

I would get sick of eggs way too quick. I usually eat 7 a week.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #6
jodka
Regional Manager

That guy is my hero!!

I love eggs, but I do get sick of them. Still, they are fucking ace for you and at this point it should be common knowledge.

Yolks rule.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
redjako

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodka View Post
That guy is my hero!!

I love eggs, but I do get sick of them. Still, they are fucking ace for you and at this point it should be common knowledge.

Yolks rule.
I've been trying to eat more, due to some of this forum shite as well as subsequent researching on my own.

I still have trouble eating mass eggs after the afternoon...morning: 4 eggs and sausage...later that night, 2 egg yolks, 2 egg whites (trying to drop weight, however, I don't know if this even applies with my sorta-drive to high protein high good fat)...arrggg who knows.

A good breakfast cafe however? Tits.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 AM   #8
IronMaidenfan#1

Brown Belt

That old guy is a badass!

IronMaidenfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
rominho

Orange Belt

I have for breakfast everyday an omelet with 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
wvboy

Brown Belt

Damn that's a lot of eggs. I'd get tired of eggs real quick if I at 25 a day. I bet his farts smell like absolute hell too.

- Urban
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote