Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
the MUSCLESHARK

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
whats a good wrestling workout

whats a good workout for explosive takedowns?and quick sprawls

Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
NickNack

Orange Belt

Read the FAQ, pick a program (probably Starting Strength since you may be new), then start a training log.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
likkuid

Brown Belt

Read the FAQ. Also, look up the "Starting Strength" routine by Mark Rippetoe (and buy the book and/or DVD as well). I recommend you do this routine for at least 6 months, maybe a year if your body can handle it. It's 3x/week, about an hour/session to start.

3 non-consecutive days/week (That means do not lift two days in a row). Alternate: A/B/A, B/A/B. Repeat. Rest 3-5 minutes between sets. First number = sets, second number = repetitions.

Day A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
1x5 Deadlift (Conventional Meaning your legs are in between your arms)

Day B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Strict Overhead Press
5x3 Power Clean

If you still feel you have energy, add in some dips, chinups, or pull-ups, and some weighted core work like wall presses, turkish get ups, landmines, helicopters, saxon side bends, sit ups, etc. General rep scheme for these is 3x10/side.

Eat. A lot.

Finally, start a training log here in the "training logs" sub-forum, and keep us updated with your workouts. You'll receive helpful advice and motivation to succeed. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Snitz

vCash:
/thread.

I think likkuid keeps an instant-response key-mapped for shit like this.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
the MUSCLESHARK

Orange Belt

Icon7

i guess il try this
i was looking for some explosive plyos for wrestling though
this seems like my football workout for putting mass on
trying to keep weight down and stay explosive
thanks for help though

Old 07-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
NickNack

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the MUSCLESHARK View Post
i guess il try this
thanks for help though
Power cleans/Snatches are good explosive lifts.

Also read the FAQ in the conditioning forum.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
RA89
Banned

whats been said, along with some good neck work imo. bridges and perhaps a harness.

RA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
mettalhead
Banned

+1 for Likkuid.

Core work, Squats, Power Cleans, Pulling work (Rows, Chins, Pullups, etc.) and Grip should be your main priority.

Your main lifts Squats, Power Cleans, and Deadlifts should be done heavy and explosively. Just make sure you do not sacrifice form.

Assistance work for your upper back (pulling) should vary between high reps and heavy weight for low reps as you need both strength and endurance in your back. Core work is pretty self explanatory.

Work every aspect of your grip. I would suggest joining the gripboard and looking at some of the stuff on there. Key for you would be crushing and support grip. So gripper work or finger curls, and static holds after shrugs or deadlifts would be a good idea. Sometimes if your grips is already a weak point just doing high rep rows will tax it enough.

Once you get your strength routine head on over to conditioning. If you are really serious about your sport you should start your conditioning now and keep your diet in check. I always lifting but my biggest regret as a former high school and now former college wrestler is letting myself go conditioning and diet wise during the off-season. If you are more disciplined now dieting and conditioning during season won't be as taxing and you will perform at a higher level on the mat, and hopefully be at a higher level on that podium at the end of the day.

mettalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
likkuid

Brown Belt

Would front squats be suited better for him than back squats? IIRC, I remember reading it's better for athletes. Am I wrong in saying this?

And yes, I have that readily available on clipboard lol.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
mettalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the MUSCLESHARK View Post
i guess il try this
thanks for help though
You don't need plyos. It's garbage.

If you watch Iowa their agility work comes from drilling. Being able to hop on one leg up a ladder isn't going to make you have a better double leg or a better switch. Drilling those fast and with perfect technique is what will make those better.

If you want that type of workout find a practice partner and attend an open room/ camp/ freestyle practice.

Conditioning (sprints/ jump ropes/ burpess/ look up rosstraining.com), Strength (what Likkuid and the others said), Technique (drilling, live wrestling).

Personally I wouldn't recommend being on the mat that much already though. It's not even August yet. The season is a long way away and it its self is very long and grueling. I would just stick to conditioning and strength work, aside from the occasional camp/roll around/practice session.

mettalhead is offline   Reply With Quote