Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Fresh Biscuits

Orange Belt
 
Fresh Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Oil Patch
Posts: 417
vCash: 500
There's nothing wrong with holding dumbbells with burpees. In fact, Ross Enamait recommends it in Infinite Intensity. It's not better or worse than a regular burpee, it's just different and adds a new dynamic to the exercise. Most people have a hard enough time with regular burpees, but if you're well-conditioned and blast through regular burpees, it can add a new challenge.

__________________
"There is never an absolute answer to everything, except of course that you have to do your squats" - Rip

Training Log:
www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/my-training-log-fresh-biscuits-inside-1051048/
Fresh Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
ozbrawler

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
i have done it before just cause i like to change things so i dont get bored (adhd i rekon) but you can always throw in a renegade rows at the bottom or instead of jumping do curl-press or even the tuck jumps mentioned. doing the one exercise for 5 mins or whateva cant be as effecient as constantly exploding with diff exercises.

ozbrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
Aaron R

White Belt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Ive done 100 straight burpees with a 60 pound vest on immediatly after my hour and a half conditioning workouts where i was completly gassed when i started....and i can honestly say...that shit it outrageous.

Aaron R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
SMillard
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: America's wang
Posts: 5,850
vCash: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCrookie View Post
At the risk of derailing my own thread, can any of you recommend a good (and affordable) weight vest?
I bought an old M203 grenade vest and made weights from sand, ziplocks and duct tape. Basically cost me about $25.00 in total for a 25lbs weighted vest. I've been considering using some lead pellets or buckshot; melting it down and making some weights out of that too for when I need more weight. If you do that make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area and wash your hands after handling the lead.

SMillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
yocan

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMillard View Post
I bought an old M203 grenade vest and made weights from sand, ziplocks and duct tape. Basically cost me about $25.00 in total for a 25lbs weighted vest. I've been considering using some lead pellets or buckshot; melting it down and making some weights out of that too for when I need more weight. If you do that make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area and wash your hands after handling the lead.
stay away from lead. I shoot, a lot, too many old guys die from melting down lead, its simply not worth it. Now getting someone that has the proper equipment to do it for you shouldn't be too pricey. Buckshot sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't even both melting it down too many risks not enough benefit just leave it as shot in a ziplock.

IMO the barbels are a good idea, much like push up bars gives you a deeper push up and more weight everywhere else. So grand benefit? Probably not, better exercise? I imagine so.

yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
SMillard
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: America's wang
Posts: 5,850
vCash: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
stay away from lead. I shoot, a lot, too many old guys die from melting down lead, its simply not worth it. Now getting someone that has the proper equipment to do it for you shouldn't be too pricey. Buckshot sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't even both melting it down too many risks not enough benefit just leave it as shot in a ziplock.

IMO the barbels are a good idea, much like push up bars gives you a deeper push up and more weight everywhere else. So grand benefit? Probably not, better exercise? I imagine so.
The biggest issue with lead is ingestion. Hence washing your hands, as for fumes if you did it in a well ventilated area you should be alright. If you are really concerned you can go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes and by a minimum N-95 HEPA mask to wear while you do the work.

I work for a company that removes asbestos, lead, mold, contaminated soil, PCBs and just about anything else no one wants to mess with. If I die from smelting lead pellets I'd just consider it an ironic tragedy.

SMillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
bj per Ali

Yellow Belt
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If you insist on weighted burpees I'd probably recommend using a weighted vest.

Honestly IMO there's really no reason to add weights to burpees anyway, they are more of a conditioning exercise and I'd be willing to bet that you (or 99%) or the population couldn't do 5-10 min worth at a decent pace without feeling winded.
Go back to school.

__________________
Log
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/seize-limit-let-sky-moment-1868077/
bj per Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
RyanR

Brown Belt
 
RyanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj per Ali View Post
Go back to school.
Go fuck yourself

__________________
The worst thing about sports is new school fans who get into the sport at it's latest evolution, who claim everything and everyone beforehand sucks - Rozwell
RyanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
bird_0725

White Belt
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hannibal, MO
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
I have done weighted burpees before, you pretty much just doing a push-up with a dumbbell clean and press.. I really like doing them, I use to do sets of 8 as heavy as I can.

bird_0725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
bird_0725

White Belt
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hannibal, MO
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron R View Post
Ive done 100 straight burpees with a 60 pound vest on immediatly after my hour and a half conditioning workouts where i was completly gassed when i started....and i can honestly say...that shit it outrageous.
damn dude you are a bad dude. Haha I bet that sucked.

bird_0725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"