Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
Fresh Biscuits

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
There's nothing wrong with holding dumbbells with burpees. In fact, Ross Enamait recommends it in Infinite Intensity. It's not better or worse than a regular burpee, it's just different and adds a new dynamic to the exercise. Most people have a hard enough time with regular burpees, but if you're well-conditioned and blast through regular burpees, it can add a new challenge.

Training Log:
www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/my-training-log-fresh-biscuits-inside-1051048/
Fresh Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
ozbrawler

Orange Belt

i have done it before just cause i like to change things so i dont get bored (adhd i rekon) but you can always throw in a renegade rows at the bottom or instead of jumping do curl-press or even the tuck jumps mentioned. doing the one exercise for 5 mins or whateva cant be as effecient as constantly exploding with diff exercises.

ozbrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
Aaron R

White Belt

Ive done 100 straight burpees with a 60 pound vest on immediatly after my hour and a half conditioning workouts where i was completly gassed when i started....and i can honestly say...that shit it outrageous.

Aaron R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
SMillard

vCash: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFCrookie View Post
At the risk of derailing my own thread, can any of you recommend a good (and affordable) weight vest?
I bought an old M203 grenade vest and made weights from sand, ziplocks and duct tape. Basically cost me about $25.00 in total for a 25lbs weighted vest. I've been considering using some lead pellets or buckshot; melting it down and making some weights out of that too for when I need more weight. If you do that make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area and wash your hands after handling the lead.

SMillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
yocan

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMillard View Post
I bought an old M203 grenade vest and made weights from sand, ziplocks and duct tape. Basically cost me about $25.00 in total for a 25lbs weighted vest. I've been considering using some lead pellets or buckshot; melting it down and making some weights out of that too for when I need more weight. If you do that make sure you do it in a very well ventilated area and wash your hands after handling the lead.
stay away from lead. I shoot, a lot, too many old guys die from melting down lead, its simply not worth it. Now getting someone that has the proper equipment to do it for you shouldn't be too pricey. Buckshot sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't even both melting it down too many risks not enough benefit just leave it as shot in a ziplock.

IMO the barbels are a good idea, much like push up bars gives you a deeper push up and more weight everywhere else. So grand benefit? Probably not, better exercise? I imagine so.

yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
SMillard

vCash: 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
stay away from lead. I shoot, a lot, too many old guys die from melting down lead, its simply not worth it. Now getting someone that has the proper equipment to do it for you shouldn't be too pricey. Buckshot sounds like a good idea, I wouldn't even both melting it down too many risks not enough benefit just leave it as shot in a ziplock.

IMO the barbels are a good idea, much like push up bars gives you a deeper push up and more weight everywhere else. So grand benefit? Probably not, better exercise? I imagine so.
The biggest issue with lead is ingestion. Hence washing your hands, as for fumes if you did it in a well ventilated area you should be alright. If you are really concerned you can go to a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes and by a minimum N-95 HEPA mask to wear while you do the work.

I work for a company that removes asbestos, lead, mold, contaminated soil, PCBs and just about anything else no one wants to mess with. If I die from smelting lead pellets I'd just consider it an ironic tragedy.

SMillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
bj per Ali

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If you insist on weighted burpees I'd probably recommend using a weighted vest.

Honestly IMO there's really no reason to add weights to burpees anyway, they are more of a conditioning exercise and I'd be willing to bet that you (or 99%) or the population couldn't do 5-10 min worth at a decent pace without feeling winded.
Go back to school.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
RyanR

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj per Ali View Post
Go back to school.
Go fuck yourself

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
bird_0725

White Belt

I have done weighted burpees before, you pretty much just doing a push-up with a dumbbell clean and press.. I really like doing them, I use to do sets of 8 as heavy as I can.

bird_0725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
bird_0725

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron R View Post
Ive done 100 straight burpees with a 60 pound vest on immediatly after my hour and a half conditioning workouts where i was completly gassed when i started....and i can honestly say...that shit it outrageous.
damn dude you are a bad dude. Haha I bet that sucked.

bird_0725 is offline   Reply With Quote