Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
CodeMonkey

White Belt

vCash: 500
Tight groin while squatting

Has anyone experienced an exceptional amount of tightness in the groin area while performing a squat? I've been squatting a good amount lately (2-3 times a week) and although I would consider myself a beginner to the exercise, I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the form now. However, whenever in the descent motion of the squat, my groin feels really tight and is restricting my ability to comfortably go down past parallel. I've been stretching it out a lot but it hasn't seemed to help too much. So my question mainly has to do with my form and if it's possible that my feet are spread out too wide, which is causing this issue. My feet are slightly wider than shoulder-width with my toes pointed out at an angle.

CodeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Origins

Blue Belt

Your toes should be pointed out at about a 30 degree angle. Your knees should be in line with your toes. If you don't push your knees out, your groin (adductors) cannot contribute to the exercise. I would suggest doing bodyweight squats with emphasis on form on rest days. Squatting is the best way to stretch for squatting.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Oblivian
Aging

I feel a tightness, but it never restricts me. I'm pretty flexible as well, so I don't know what the deal is. The tightness normally goes away after my first work set. During my first 2 warmups, I feel a ridiculous amount of tightness.

Oblivian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Endo
o hai!

I'd post a form check vid. I don't have that problem, and I don't know of anyone who does, so I cannot offer any personal experience. The best we can honestly do is just critique your form.

Edit: Unlike OB, I'm about as flexible as a concrete block. *over exaggerating*

Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Oblivian
Aging

I feel the tightness even when I'm not squatting. I used to notice it skateboarding. Once I was warmed up, I was ok.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
miaou
reconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey View Post
Has anyone experienced an exceptional amount of tightness in the groin area while performing a squat? I've been squatting a good amount lately (2-3 times a week) and although I would consider myself a beginner to the exercise, I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the form now. However, whenever in the descent motion of the squat, my groin feels really tight and is restricting my ability to comfortably go down past parallel. I've been stretching it out a lot but it hasn't seemed to help too much. So my question mainly has to do with my form and if it's possible that my feet are spread out too wide, which is causing this issue. My feet are slightly wider than shoulder-width with my toes pointed out at an angle.
It sounds like a flexibility issue. The wider your stance the greater the stretch (and overall involvement) of the adductors. For a while tight adductors were the limiting factor in my squat depth. A good stretch is asian squats. Do them with the stance width you normally squat, keep your lower-back tight and avoid getting into flexion as much as possible (this may be hard at first), and once in the bottom position use your elbows to push your knees out so you get a stretch on your adductors. You can also do what you see in this video (time 1:05), go only as deep as you can maintain proper form at and use it as a stretch.

Origins is right in that squatting often will improve your "squatting flexibility". I don't agree with his comment about the toes at a 30 angle (slightly different angles work for different people and generally the wider your stance the wider your toe angle).

Assuming your form is otherwise proper, I would advocate going as deep as your flexibility will allow and don't sacrifice proper lower-back position for extra depth, even if you can't break parallel at the moment. If you work on this you should be able to reach proper depth soon (probably within a few weeks).

miaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Gierrod

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoGlo View Post
Edit: Unlike OB, I'm about as flexible as a concrete block.
He really is not kidding here is a picture from his facebook

Log: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/little-blood-pressure-terrible-thing-waste-
1194114/
Gierrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Gierrod

Blue Belt

I always feel really tight on my first few warm up sets it feels like i need the weight to push me down, anywho best bit of advice would be to take a video so we can check your form out.

Log: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/little-blood-pressure-terrible-thing-waste-
1194114/
Gierrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
trainharder

Blue Belt

Never had a problem with the groin being tight my problem was always with the hips being tight, but for me that is solved by warming up enough and putting more weight on the bar.

GREEN TIME BABY!!
trainharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Oblivian
Aging

I just got done lifting, and I had extreme tightness in my groin after I finished squatting. I really felt it on my left side, and then my leg almost felt numb from the knee down. The actual squat sets felt fine though.