Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
sabretruth

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Squat more with feet closer together?

I've always done squats with my feet about shoulder-width apart, toes pointed out. A couple weeks ago I started to change things and started doing squats with my feet quite a bit farther apart than I used to. I wasn't able to squat as much this way. Today I went back to shoulder-width and was able to do weight/reps closer to what I'd been doing before the switch.

I've always heard the farther apart your feet are, the more weight/reps you can squat. What's going on?

sabretruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
squatsquatsquat

Orange Belt

Changing the stance changes the movement. Since you aren't used it it, you were not able to squat as much. It's possible that, if you train it, you will be able to squat more with a wide stance. Don't go too wide though. The super wide squats you see some powerlifters do are only really useful for geared lifting.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Tosa
Abort, Retry, Fail?

A wider squat stance means your hips don't go as far back, your knees don't go as far forwards, and you can stay more upright. However it also puts more stress on the hips, and can potentially put them in a weaker position in the bottom of the squat (if you can still hit depth). Which is why you'll very rarely see raw or single ply squatters use the super wide stances. For multiply lifters it allows them to get the most out of their suit.

The hip joint and musculature is significantly more suited to movements that are closer to backwards and forwards, rather than out to the sides.

Also consider to what end are you squatting. It's possible that even if, given practice, you could squat more with a wider stance, the narrower stance might be the better choice, due to increased ROM, and/or it being nicer to the hips.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
1standarduser**
Banned

Tosa - that response was awesome and really appreciated.
I was wondering the same thing as the OP.

1standarduser** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
yocan

Orange Belt

for what its worth I squat a smidgen wider than shoulder width because it uses my hamstrings more and I care about running under load uphill... so for my goals It seesm to be better, kinda would think for driving into someone the same thing would apply someone corrrect me if my premise is wrong.

yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
scoopj
ackson

Are you squatting low-bar or high-bar?

scoopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
WitchCraft

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosa View Post
A wider squat stance means your hips don't go as far back, your knees don't go as far forwards, and you can stay more upright. However it also puts more stress on the hips, and can potentially put them in a weaker position in the bottom of the squat (if you can still hit depth). Which is why you'll very rarely see raw or single ply squatters use the super wide stances. For multiply lifters it allows them to get the most out of their suit.

The hip joint and musculature is significantly more suited to movements that are closer to backwards and forwards, rather than out to the sides.

Also consider to what end are you squatting. It's possible that even if, given practice, you could squat more with a wider stance, the narrower stance might be the better choice, due to increased ROM, and/or it being nicer to the hips.
I don't know why, I always thought a wider stance would be better for the hips. I assumed a narrower stance would kind of crush your hip flexors. No matter what I do, squats hurt my hips so I gave up.

WitchCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Telf

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCraft View Post
I don't know why, I always thought a wider stance would be better for the hips. I assumed a narrower stance would kind of crush your hip flexors. No matter what I do, squats hurt my hips so I gave up.
Bold to admit to this heresy on Squaturday.

Seriously though - did you ever get your hips looked at? Squatting is a natural movement, so there might be an issue that needs attending to if every variation you tried caused serious discomfort.

Telf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
1standarduser**
Banned

Quote:
You might want to try out some single legged squat variations.
They seem to do better for me than regular squatting and DL's, although I (probably foolishly) still squat and deadlift.
You might also have some luck just doing squats with no weights, and dipping down as far as you can just to try to get some more flexibility.

1standarduser** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
thugpoet

Purple Belt

Quote:
it may be a flexibility issue. Do u have problems squating without weights

thugpoet is offline   Reply With Quote