Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
flak

vCash:
Planet Fitness -- no more deads, racks

So there's a Planet Fitness opening up in my town. It's pretty close to my house and they have a $10-a-month deal, which fits my budget.

Yeah, yeah, I know about the lunk alarm. I make very little noise when I lift, and I want people to ignore me. So I figured I could probably stay under the radar.

Plus, it's time for me to re-up with the university gyms I've been using and I figured there's never gonna be a better time to check out Planet Fitness.

So I just called to ask about some real basic stuff.

I won't bore you with all the details, but here are the highlights --

This place will not have any squat racks or power racks, because "corporate" is eliminating them in the name of reducing liability. Something to keep in mind for anyone who's already using a PF.

Similarly, they do not allow deadlifts, for reasons of safety. This is supposedly a new policy as well.

They may or may not allow overhead lifts -- what the guy said was something like "as long as you don't load it up with two plates or something it'll be okay."

I was polite and kept telling him "I'm cool with the 'judgment free zone' idea, and I don't make much noise and I'm nice and I don't want to bother anybody."

Didn't help. Their thinking seems to be "anyone who wants to lift heavy is a neanderthal who's gonna make a ton of noise, try to intimidate everyone, and will probably cause accidents." Maybe the dude doesn't believe that, but his comments indicated that this is the line of reasoning they give.

The most annoying thing was, he kept telling that I'd be just fine with their array of machines.

I told him (several times) "this isn't gonna be a good option for me." We parted amicably, and I managed to avoid insulting him. But damned if I'm gonna sign up.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
KILL KILL

Red Belt

vCash: 500
that's a disgrace of a gym. you might aswell sign up at Curves.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Cratos
Banned

Were you actually expecting something else?

Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Stonebreaker

Purple Belt

I read the title, saw the poster, and was afraid that I'd have to haul Flak out 'round back and put him out of his misery, Old Yeller style.

WTF were you thinking, Flak? Dirt cheap or not, there's no national chain of strip-mall "fitness centers" that are going to have what you need, and the machine-and-bench-only crap might be contagious. You're lucky to have gotten out of there without an automatically renewing contract and a spray tan.

"Anybody can lose one fight."
Stonebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Tosa
Abort, Retry, Fail?

I will never complain about the gym I go to during the holidays again*.

*may complain about the gym used during the holidays again.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
flak

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos View Post
Were you actually expecting something else?
Yes.

Based on what I've read here from other guys who work out at Planet Fitness, I expected they'd allow deads and there'd be a 50/50 chance they'd have a squat rack.

Also, as a matter of common sense I figured the guy I was talking to -- who claimed to have extensive strength training experience -- would avoid wasting my time and his by trying repeatedly to get me to come on in and have a look at the place after I said "this is not a good option for me, I need to do deads and free-bar squats."

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
dittohead84

Silver Belt

$10 a month. You get what you pay for

Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
flak

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonebreaker View Post
I read the title, saw the poster, and was afraid that I'd have to haul Flak out 'round back and put him out of his misery, Old Yeller style.

WTF were you thinking, Flak? Dirt cheap or not, there's no national chain of strip-mall "fitness centers" that are going to have what you need, and the machine-and-bench-only crap might be contagious. You're lucky to have gotten out of there without an automatically renewing contract and a spray tan.
I was thinking "I know this place has serious drawbacks, but if I can do most of the lifts I want to do (in a controlled, quiet, judgment-free, nonlunkulous manner, of course), then maybe I could make this work."

Almost every gym I've ever used has had at least one glaring flaw, and I got around it.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
awid
Banned

i go to pf. but i do bjj regularly so i only go there on teh occasion. its fine for what i do, which is mainly combat sport related anaerobics

and theyve never said anything about me deading

awid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Pathogenic
Wo Cao Ni Ma

That's disgraceful