Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:03 AM   #1
ronin0352
Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

vCash: 500
A Little Help Please

I had shoulder surgery about 7 weeks ago and the doctor just gave me the ok to start working out again, as long as I don't to ANYTHING with my right arm. I want to start doing some conditioning to keep from getting any more out of shape than I already am. I've started with doing a little running and using the elliptical machine, and some crunches, incline sit-ups and lower back stuff that doesn't involve holding onto any weight. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for any help

Old 02-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Jake Martin
Amateur Fighter

Duck walks, knee tucks, running in place.

Do you do a martial art? Fast pasted kicking drills would be excellent for this, and let you work on skill to boot.

If I couldn't do anything with one of my arms, I'd practice pistols until I was a GOD with them. I guess I could do that now, but...they're hard.

St. Wilhelm's Member #00081 - http://www.saintwilhelms.org/
Jake Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
mmuhr2

Orange Belt

ever seen the m night shyamalan movie lady in the water? there is a character in it dedicated to getting his one arm absolutely huge while the rest of him remains normal, so you could try that...

helpful, i know. but for real, as much as it sucks without an arm you cant really do any of the creative conditioning like burpees or deck of cards so just try to keep running but vary that with sprints, hills, stairs, LSD, etc etc

"I hate most of the people I know and all of the people I don't." --- bacon

"Always wear hair gel, even if you're bald." --- Saith
mmuhr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #4
ronin0352
Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotokan777 View Post
Duck walks, knee tucks, running in place.

Do you do a martial art? Fast pasted kicking drills would be excellent for this, and let you work on skill to boot.

If I couldn't do anything with one of my arms, I'd practice pistols until I was a GOD with them. I guess I could do that now, but...they're hard.
Good Ideas, thanks. I should have thought of those, but I'm in kind of a mental funk cause of this situation.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Technomad

White Belt

Plyometerics, running stairs, flutter kicks and other ab workouts would probably be good.

Technomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
ronin0352
Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomad View Post
Plyometerics, running stairs, flutter kicks and other ab workouts would probably be good.
I thought of plyometrics, but as I remember aren't you supposed to swing your arms a lot for most of the exercises? (I haven't done them since HS and I graduated in 91)