Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Psalm144 1

White Belt

vCash: 500
KO power.

5'9" 145. how do i get KO power in my punches.? i know alot of it has to do with technique, but is their a way to get the power in a workout? do i have to get bigger to get more power? i wouldn't mind getting bigger but if i can get the power of some one who weighs 185 and still weigh 145 that would be fine too.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Barut
Banned

I'm sure you already have the KO power of some 185 lb'ers, but I don't think that's what you meant. Work on your technique and lift. Emphasize heavy compound movements to get stronger. Concentrate on back, trunk, and legs to get KO power in your hands. What does your current routine look like. What do you train in?

Barut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Psalm144 1

White Belt

I train in MMA, at an MMA school. and BJJ seperatley also. i have a great plyometric workout..it's actually randy cotures workout. my weightlifting takes a back seat to everthing else. but after seeing a kid who weighs 135 bench more than me I decided I should get a little stronger.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Urban
Savage Mystic

bench press has very little to do with striking power. IMO, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift. Just read the stickies and get a real weight routine. Include squats, deads, overhead presses, dips, core movements and assistance.

Really I shouldn't even tell you this. you need to work on your technique first and foremost. Spend twice as much time working your striking technique as you do anything else (cardio, lifting, jerking off, etc.).

Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
deadpool
H***an Chop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban
bench press has very little to do with striking power. IMO, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift. Just read the stickies and get a real weight routine. Include squats, deads, overhead presses, dips, core movements and assistance.

Really I shouldn't even tell you this. you need to work on your technique first and foremost. Spend twice as much time working your striking technique as you do anything else (cardio, lifting, jerking off, etc.).

I think jerking off might have some carry over in being able to have some power in the strike- either that or just be better at making yourself cum.

On the real, plyos are a good way to transfer the weights into power in your strikes and takedowns.

deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
rajuman

vCash:
light weights, massive reps..

Old 11-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
krellik
Gimli son of Cisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuman
Explain yourself!

krellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
HeyHEys

Purple Belt

it's all in the hips

HeyHEys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
Wrecking Ball

Orange Belt

Technique, increase in strength, increase in speed. What good is it if you have a haymaker KO, but the whole world knows its coming. I found the more I hit a heavy bag, the harder I punch. Deadlifts and core exercises man, also strengthen up your wrists and grip. Its alot easier to KO someone if you have a sledgehammer for a fist.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Ian Coe
Professional Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuman
please go to OT and post naked pictures of anyone

Ian Coe is offline   Reply With Quote