Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Eggs of Satan**
Banned

vCash: 500
"I'm strong but I can't lift heavy weights"

Some idiot said this to me today. I was to dumbfounded by the statement to say anything. He then went on to say I should do such and such excerises (was some sort of curl) and that it really helps to get the vein sticking out in the bicep.

After today this person holds the title of biggest retard i've met in a gym. Do you guys have a similar story or heard something as ridiculous?

Eggs of Satan** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Fedorable
Tree Herder

Some people are strong, but can't lift heavy weights. Especially if it is movements that they aren't used to in daily life.

Resist all the urges that make you want to go out and kill.

M_yb_ y_ _ sh_ _ld b_y _n_th_r v_w_l
Fedorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs of Satan View Post
Some idiot said this to me today. I was to dumbfounded by the statement to say anything. He then went on to say I should do such and such excerises (was some sort of curl) and that it really helps to get the vein sticking out in the bicep.
He's right, you gotta get that vein going.

Quote:
After today this person holds the title of biggest retard i've met in a gym. Do you guys have a similar story or heard something as ridiculous?
Not training related but I once overheard a guy telling some chick that low fat ice cream is sugar free and that they replace the sugar with sucrose because sucrose is lower in fat than sugar.

April 2nd 1982 - January 8th 2014
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
oyaji poi
oyaji belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorable View Post
Some people are strong, but can't lift heavy weights. Especially if it is movements that they aren't used to in daily life.
This is true. And why I get laughed at when I do curls with the same weight as guys smaller than me. Or why a strong farmer dude wouldn't be able to squat or bench that much the first few days in the gym.

But for a regular gym goer to say that, it's handitarded.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
BeRGLeZ
Ramenbowl

I was saddened yesterday when I spoke to a guy in the gym deadlifting 460lbs for reps. I complained about the restructuring of the gym and that our space is taken for deadlifts. He said in a really whiney voice "Yeah we need a place where we can do standing bicep curls by the mirror eh??!'

BeRGLeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
ghostwipe

Black Belt

All these people need to be eaten....

ghostwipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #7
David Bolton
Amateur Fighter

It is funny hearing these stories but weren't we all like that once? Maybe if they had proper guidance then they would take the right path. It is not really their fault.

David Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
TheRekiem

Blue Belt

Talking about biceps, there's one guy at my gym that only trains his biceps. Is f*cking amazing. He goes three times a week, and I haven't seen him exercise any other muscle. I'm serious. There are some guys who just train their arms, but this guy takes it to a whole new level and focuses 100% on his biceps.

TheRekiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:20 AM   #9
David Bolton
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRekiem View Post
Talking about biceps, there's one guy at my gym that only trains his biceps. Is f*cking amazing. He goes three times a week, and I haven't seen him exercise any other muscle. I'm serious. There are some guys who just train their arms, but this guy takes it to a whole new level and focuses 100% on his biceps.
Does he have big GUNZ?

David Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
erco
Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Not training related but I once overheard a guy telling some chick that low fat ice cream is sugar free and that they replace the sugar with sucrose because sucrose is lower in fat than sugar.

This sounds like 1/2 the people in the D&S forums nowadays.