Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Alzi_

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
How to improve muscular endurance for BJJ?

My one biggest weakness when I roll is that I gas quickly. Usually after 5 minutes my energy starts draining and after that I can only last another 5 at best. At times I get so tired I don't even have the strength to push the other guy off. I used to think its was due to poor cardio but my cardio has steadily improved from doing jiu-jitsu for the past few months yet I haven't gained a whole lot of endurance. So it occured to me that maybe a lack of strength is to blame for my muscle fatigue. Would it help my muscular endurance if I started lifting weights? I hate weightlifting and avoid it like the plague thinking the BJJ will be enough to improve my strength but if it would help I would definately do it. I'm can't train right now cause of an arm injury but in the meantime I'd like to do some exercises to increase my endurance.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
Dawgie
Banned

Ask krazy horse

Dawgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
teal

Yellow Belt

ya sounds like if you dont reverse in a few attempts your stuck there for the rest of the match if you hate lifting weights why not do other strength exercises in judo you do arm circles both forwards and backwards for about 5 mins in each direction also push ups chin ups lunge walking forward and backwards wall sits, as for stamina you can do sprints uphill walk down and sprint up again do squat jumps lots of fun things to do

teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #4
Heavy Hitters

Orange Belt

sprints are a great way to improve stamina, I would also suggest plyometrics

Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Clann
Banned

Location: In west Philadelphia, born and raised, on the playground is where I spent most of my days..
Your muscles are getting tired because they aren't used to functioning in a certain way. The best way to increase your cardio is actually rolling, rolling hard, and rolling alot.

You can do other things to help aid your cardio; like running, doing burpees, isometrics, plyometrics, sprints, etc.

You need to set up a schedule for when you're doing these things, rather then just doing it whenever you feel like it. For example, you could jog three times a week. You could do sprints twice a week and you need to make a weight training schedule (go to S&P).

Those are a few things that could help aid your cardio. Eating right will also be a plus. Only eat healthy foods... stop eating at Mc Donald's every day.

Good luck.

Clann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
Alzi_

Orange Belt

Thanks for all your advice. Yeah I figured my stamina will improve eventually as I keep rolling. In the meantime, I will use the elliptical to improve my cardio and add some plometrics later.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Stively

vCash:
lifting weights will definitely improve your strength. one thing that you should focus on with weight training are large muscle movements that require most, if not all of your body such as powercleans, jerks, snatches etc. if you do not know these techniques, learn them from someone who is knowledgable. these movements will increase your stamina, power and core strength which is huge in jiu jitsu. as stated in the other replies, your cardio is very important as well. just sparring will do things for your lungs but gassers and sprint intervals will elevate your game as well. good luck.

***using and elliptical will only benefit ur cardio minimally. when doing cardio try to do something that involves your entire body such as running, or swimming.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Girljock
Banned

Are you eating enough? Correctly? Cardio doesn't do squat if you don't have fuel in your body. I would also say...if it's muscular endurnace you want....hi reps might be a good friend.

Girljock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
anvar
Banned

get good sleep
eat good food
learn better technique (i.e. less muscle moves)
ROLL MORE
get stronger (if you don't have strength what are you enduring)
if your already strong enough...start doing strength endurence sets in the weight room.

anvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #10
colinm

Brown Belt

roll roll roll! roll for timed rounds, with a fresh partner for each round if possible. roll at a higher pace...lazy man jiu jitsu is great for learning, but come competition time you need to pick it up.

increasing you limit strength will help also, of course.

colinm is offline   Reply With Quote