Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #41
LegioTitan

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision1 View Post
Does the greater velocity component not mean it has a greater carryover to explosive movements with small loads? like jumping for example.
Not necessarily. Most would argue in favor of the movement using more weight which will 9.9/10 times be the clean. For athletic endeavors I would always recommend the clean to take up the majority of your time.
So in this case I would still argue for maximal strength. In this case, limit weight in the clean.
Stopping the potentially greater velocity/bar speed in the snatch is of little consequence to the mechanics of jumping however it does have other benefits as I mentioned before, IMO, obviously.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #42
belph
Bear®™

vCash: 500
Today I learned something. The snatch is oh so wonderful when you get it, but a pain in the ass when you're chasing it.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #43
dannysmith

Blue Belt

Doing the snatch for hours working on technique is my favorite thing to do.

dannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #44
Gingervitis

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor13 View Post
Today I learned something. The snatch is oh so wonderful when you get it, but a pain in the ass when you're chasing it.
What you did there.

I see it.

Gingervitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #45
belph
Bear®™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingervitis View Post
What you did there.

I see it.
Unintentional, I swear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysmith View Post
Just wait Danny, eventually, there will be a weight you want so bad. You'll almost make it 5 or 6 times in a row. And it sits there taunting you, like who's the bitch now, belph ? WHO'S THE BITCH NOW !?

Oh, I'm sorry, what ?

Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #46
rookie belt

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysmith View Post
I had more fun chasing the clean and once it clicks in and the timing for everything its perfect its the best thing ever

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/rookie-belts-training-log-2039931/#post66964487
rookie belt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #47
scoopj
ackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator69 View Post
You will be a can in your fight carreer
LOL. This is why I picked you for team They Killed It.

scoopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #48
averagejoex9000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator69 View Post
You will be a can in your fight carreer

averagejoex9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
thesoupcan

White Belt

wow this got very technical while i was gone.... and btw im not a dumb jock by any means, i have incorporated a strength program into my workout routine.. its a classic push pull.now here is the situation.. i took a zero hour weightlifting class( before school starts, im pretty much able to lift as i please.) i have a decent amount of strength now, but when the semester is over i want to change my routine up a bit. i guess what im asking is now that i have decent strength, where should i go from here liftingwise to make me a more efficient fighter.(btw i have weights in the morning and boxing/mma at around four.)

Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #50
MilkManUK

Blue Belt

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoupcan View Post
wow this got very technical while i was gone.... and btw im not a dumb jock by any means, i have incorporated a strength program into my workout routine.. its a classic push pull.now here is the situation.. i took a zero hour weightlifting class( before school starts, im pretty much able to lift as i please.) i have a decent amount of strength now, but when the semester is over i want to change my routine up a bit. i guess what im asking is now that i have decent strength, where should i go from here liftingwise to make me a more efficient fighter.(btw i have weights in the morning and boxing/mma at around four.)
If you feel you already have decent strength, the only thing to really do is increase that strength, so why not continue with the program that you were already on? To become a more efficient fighter will require more time spent on skills training, pads, sparring etc this is where your primary focus for improvement should be, obviously the strength gains are important and will benefit you, but your main focus should be on improving your fighting ability.

MilkManUK is offline   Reply With Quote