Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
redaxe

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real LoveGun View Post
First time put 315 on the bar to squat took all 3 plates off one side and it was not quite centered. It fell loud and fast to the floor. Also had been squating to 3/4 depth and not knowing it. I got a kick out that last time I saw someone else do that exact same thing.
Hah, yeah I just saw a guy do that with only 225 on the bar, he took the two plates off one side and the other side went crashing to the floor, taking the bar with it. I felt kinda bad for him.

redaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Midnighter
Antichrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaxe View Post
Hah, yeah I just saw a guy do that with only 225 on the bar, he took the two plates off one side and the other side went crashing to the floor, taking the bar with it. I felt kinda bad for him.
But I bet you laughed, you asshole!

Midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #13
Pearse Shields
Amateur Fighter

Was doing heavy cleans, and decided to lower the weight a bit to work more on technique. I wasn't expecting the bar to feel quite so light, so pulled it harder than I should have. It flew up, hit me in the face, I dropped it, landed on my ass and started laughing. Shit was hilarious, wish I could have seen myself.

Training log: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?p=84866317
Pearse Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
Linds

Orange Belt

first time squatting, i subtracted my body weight from what i was leg pressing and then tried to dive bomb squat it.

Linds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Diet Otsuka

Brown Belt

vCash: 1966
I've probably got some horrific stories deep in my brain. I've been trying to block them out though.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
TheBrokenVow

Green Belt

You're not living unless you've been stuck under a failed bench press.

Looking back on my past levels of gym idiocy, it is hard to fathom how stupid I really was.

Converge - Live at the BBC

APMD - Nothing violates this nature

Death Grips - No love Deep web

Alcest - Shelter
TheBrokenVow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
AgeofEmpires2

Red Belt

I know I have been in the past before I found 531, you know using the calf machine and all. I use to even think failing a squat rep meant I was a gym idiot, but considering my form is so much better and the weight is increasing, I don't even give a fuck when it makes a loud crash. I work harder than the curl monkeys when I'm in there and they know it.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Gawd

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad ooki View Post
but i saw this one kid doing preacher curls with one dumbell (which looked way too heavy for him) and next thing you know the kid just drops the dumbbell and it rolled forward, hit the mirror in front of him and shattered completely.
How did he manage to shatter a dumbbell?

My training regime for 10+ years was absolutely useless in retrospect.

Gawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #19
kotriz

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawd View Post
How did he manage to shatter a dumbbell?

My training regime for 10+ years was absolutely useless in retrospect.
it was the mirror.

kotriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
Eric Brown
Crusty old bastard

vCash: 681
Hmm, let's see, once, during a competition, I dropped a clean and jerk after locking it out. Beat the shit out of me because it came down at an angle and my stupid ass failed to get out of the way.

One early morning after an extensive evening of drinking, I over-pulled a clean and smacked myself in the face hard enough to break my nose (first time I ever managed this all on my own). Was able to reset, stuff with tissue and finish training, which is pretty stupid but, well, so was I. I will also point out that I had consumed enough alcohol which was evidently still killing some of the pain. And let that be a lesson to all of you youngsters about proper pre-workout supplementation.

Coached a kid who shit himself on the platform the first time he squatted 675 (at 181, hell of a great squatter). Tried to encourage him to go for 700 on a fourth attempt, not realizing what had happened. When he said no, I asked why not. He replied "I shit my pants." It was one of those brief moments where everything is quiet and people in a 50 foot radius hear something they should not, including the judges, one of whom was old enough to be my mother, to say nothing of his. She started laughing, and the kid turned far more red than his lifting shirt (team colors were red and white). He could not look her in the eyes the rest of the day.