Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
moyy

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by miaou View Post
You don't seem to have any specific goals. Your post basically said "I do so and so, is this good?". There is no specific answer to your question.
My goals are to get better conditioned for fighting. The questions in the post were firstly about tempo runs, are they good/useful? am I doing them right; would you suggest longer/shorter "tempos", more/less volume etc etc? The second question was about my conditioning routine in general, would you suggest rotating the conditioning the way I'm doing it? Or keeping the sprints in there every week like NurseKnuckles suggested. I also had some further questions in my 3rd post in this thread in response to NurseKnuckles asking about the sprints he suggested and why they differ from those CWS suggests in BJJ Physical Prep Manual.

moyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
scoopj
ackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyy View Post
My goals are to get better conditioned for fighting. The questions in the post were firstly about tempo runs, are they good/useful?
I don't know how good they are for fighting, but they are great for adapting to higher intensity running. You might think of them as analagous to mid-range reps in strength training. Tempo runs hellp you get faster. How does that correlate to MMA training? I would think it probably fills a square that is important - somewhere b/w LSD and HIIT. Probably raises your lactate threshold. Maybe ask Joel Jamison on his website for a more in-depth answer because I've had three beers and almost nothing to eat tonight.

scoopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
KILL KILL

Red Belt

Quote:
My goals are to get better conditioned for fighting. 1. The questions in the post were firstly about tempo runs, are they good/useful? am I doing them right; 2. would you suggest longer/shorter "tempos", more/less volume etc etc? The second question was about my conditioning routine in general, would you suggest rotating the conditioning the way I'm doing it? Or keeping the sprints in there every week like NurseKnuckles suggested. I also had some further questions in my 3rd post in this thread in response to NurseKnuckles asking about the sprints he suggested and why they differ from those CWS suggests in BJJ Physical Prep Manual.
1. Useful compared to what?

2. Is it working? If so, then it's fine.

You're thinking too much. Programming is important, but hard work is more so. Run sprints. run distance. maybe mix it up. Have fun with it. if you improve, continue, if not, change it.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
miaou
reconstructed

Quote:
My goals are to get better conditioned for fighting. The questions in the post were firstly about tempo runs, are they good/useful? am I doing them right; would you suggest longer/shorter "tempos", more/less volume etc etc?
They are a conditioning tool.

The idea behind "tempo runs" is for endurance athletes (runners, swimmers, etc.) to put in some training with the exact race pace they are aiming for. So basically, they break down the total distance into smaller pieces, take very short breaks between intervals, and run the entire thing using their competition tempo.

My opinion is that for someone who is looking to get better conditioned for MMA it doesn't make much sense to think of them as "tempo runs". If you are doing aerobic work, then whether you break it up or not doesn't make much difference; it is the overall volume that counts. If you are working around or above your threshold, adjust the number and duration of intervals and work:rest ratios according to your specific goals for each training session.

Regarding sprints, I'd suggest using some basic form of periodization between aerobic volume, higher intensity work and sprint work. Since you are not a sprinter but are using this as a conditioning tool for MMA, my opinion is that as long as your overall periodization plan is ok, and as long as every workout is designed according to its specific goal, then you'll be fine.

miaou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
scoopj
ackson

Quote:
They are a conditioning tool.

The idea behind "tempo runs" is for endurance athletes (runners, swimmers, etc.) to put in some training with the exact race pace they are aiming for. So basically, they break down the total distance into smaller pieces, take very short breaks between intervals, and run the entire thing using their competition tempo.
Tempo runs are not race pace.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
NurseKnuckles

Black Belt

You do not run tempo runs at race pace... If you do you are not allowing the exercise to accomplish what it is suppose to do.

I am not saying my speed workout or tempo workout is any better than anyone else. It is very intense, and it worked wonders for my 5K time. I would probably not incorporate it in a BJJ conditioning program, but if you want to run faster it works.

Actually, i would be interested in someone's opinion regarding implementing a speed, or sprint workout into grappling conditioning?

NurseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
miaou
reconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopj View Post
Tempo runs are not race pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseKnuckles View Post
You do not run tempo runs at race pace... If you do you are not allowing the exercise to accomplish what it is suppose to do.
I guess I've confused terminology here.

What are tempo runs supposed to be used for?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
scoopj
ackson

Quote:
I guess I've confused terminology here.

What are tempo runs supposed to be used for?
Say you're training for a Half Marathon. Your tempo runs may be 20-30 minutes at just under 10k race pace (maybe 30 sec per mile under). So yes, you're pushing yourself at around lactate threshold, but not quite race pace.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
selfcritical

Purple Belt

Tempo Intervals & MMA Fitness

Recovery, aerobic power, not frying your CNS, speed-endurance.

selfcritical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
miaou
reconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopj View Post
Say you're training for a Half Marathon. Your tempo runs may be 20-30 minutes at just under 10k race pace (maybe 30 sec per mile under). So yes, you're pushing yourself at around lactate threshold, but not quite race pace.
Ok, I see. So "tempo run" is just another term for running at threshold. This article basically says the same thing.

Now my question is, if it's threshold work, why would you want to do intervals of 100 or 200 meters with it? I mean, it's not HIIT. To significantly benefit from threshold training, you'd need to do at least 15+ min worth of total work. Why do 20-s intervals make sense?