Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
christ0ph

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Broken fibula and torn ligaments

Hey guys I broke my fibula and tore some ligaments in my left ankle recently. Doctor says it'll be about 6 weeks before I can put weight on it.

Has anyone had any similar injuries and can give me some insight to what I can expect?
I'm going to ask my doctor, but any idea how long I'll have to wait before I can squat?
I feel like I'm wasting away right now just laying around doing nothing.

More information:
It was a full break that needed a plate and 6 screws.
I broke it in judo. Partner had a single leg and I tried to counter with uchi mata but he drove forward and my leg snapped because it was at a weird angle.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
theNuge

Brown Belt

Definitely follow the advice of your physical therapist. If you don't have a physical therapist then go out and get a physical therapist.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
RedNeckJiuJitsu

Black Belt

Dang, man. That sucks. Definitely find out what your doctor has to say (and if he says to never squat again, get a second opinion).

I snapped both bones in my left forearm when I was in 5th grade, shortly before school was out for the year, and my arm was in a cast for most of the summer.

Oh, and drink more milk!

St. Wilhelm's #00064

My lifting log - http://tinyurl.com/MagnesiumCarbonate4ozGlovesSle

I write weight lifting articles - http://tinyurl.com/ashlandweightlifting
RedNeckJiuJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Gavin LeFever
Professional Fighter

you women have bones like glass.

Hope you like playing guitar or something. Take this time to order some books and get your S&P/nutritional learn on.

Gavin LeFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Cmart

Red Belt

Any mod want to explain to me why injury threads, which are forbidden here, keep being allowed?

And hey TS I'm not trying to be insensitive - sorry about your injury - I'm recovering from surgery myself. I'm just wondering which is wrong, the "forbidden threads" section of the stickies, or the mods.

Perhaps injury threads are fine now and the" forbidden threads" sticky needs to be updated?

Cmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
nomilkforsanta
Nathan

time to boost your upper body and develop a monster grip! I would buy some bjj dvd's and switch to pure na waza training after it heals.

nomilkforsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
RedNeckJiuJitsu

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmart View Post
Any mod want to explain to me why injury threads, which are forbidden here, keep being allowed?

And hey TS I'm not trying to be insensitive - sorry about your injury - I'm recovering from surgery myself. I'm just wondering which is wrong, the "forbidden threads" section of the stickies, or the mods.

Perhaps injury threads are fine now and the" forbidden threads" sticky needs to be updated?
I think that as long as it's not a stupid injury thread like, "hey, my knee blew out on the leg press, what can i do to fix it? should i go to the doctor?" it doesn't fall under that. He's not askin' for a diagnoses, just comparin' situations.

St. Wilhelm's #00064

My lifting log - http://tinyurl.com/MagnesiumCarbonate4ozGlovesSle

I write weight lifting articles - http://tinyurl.com/ashlandweightlifting
RedNeckJiuJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Ukraiina

Blue Belt

I have a similar injury. I suffered a MASSIVE fucking rupturing and ripping and tearing of all that shit in my left ankle. I went to the doc and got x-rays and stuff and he was basically i did everything but break my bone. I have strong bones i guess. Anyways 1 month later i am still limping, i can put weight on it but only slowly, meaning i can walk put absolutely no jumping or lifting. My toes are still bruised, and my ankle is still huge. Basically expect no deads or squats for 3-4 months.

It sucks for me because I came across S&P during the summer and couldn't wait to go to the gym and implement and the new stuff I learned but i guess i will have to wait.

Ukraiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
physicaltherapy

Green Belt

plates and screws = an effing major injury.

Your doc probably won't know for certain. They'll have to do more x-rays as you start healing up.

physicaltherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
Cmart

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lambert View Post
I think that as long as it's not a stupid injury thread like, "hey, my knee blew out on the leg press, what can i do to fix it? should i go to the doctor?" it doesn't fall under that. He's not askin' for a diagnoses, just comparin' situations.
If that's the case, a change to the sticky would be great - to clarify.

I'd hate to see S&P shut down because, for example, some tool who claims to be a doctor gives someone injury advice and exacerbates their condition, maybe inviting a lawsuit.

There are good reasons not to have injury threads here at all, not the least of which is that this forum isn't called "Injuries & Rehabilitation".

Cmart is offline   Reply With Quote