Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Gary Peters
Professional Fighter

vCash: 500
Broken Arm, how to stay in shape?

Well it took 23 years but ive managed to break my arm during jiu jitsu last night. Wasnt being macho just didnt have time to tap. Felt pressure on my forearm then a very loud pop. My radius bone is broken about 1/2 way up my forearm and im going for surgery tomorrow. They have to screw a little plate in but i was told no hard cast would be involved...? Have any of you guys suffered a similar break? How long am I looking at for recovery time after surgery? Dr said probably 3 months until i can lift heavy weights again.

I was told about a study where if you still work your uninjured side of body your body will still progress somehow on the injured side to keep your body balanced, i find it hard to believe but is there any truth to it? I'll continue to try and research it on my own as well.

Also any suggestions for a routine to keep the muscle mass i have? 3 months is a looooong time i cant possibly go without physical activity for that long and jogging just wont cut it.

Finally any suggestions on what to eat to increase the healing process/preserve muscle mass? Post surgery still take creatine / protein shakes eventhough i will not be lifting heavy? Sincerly just looking for any help/suggestions I almost broke down yesterday.. having a hard time dealing with not being able to train.

Thanks to all that contribute.

Gary Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Klotz
Shalom

Fuck that's a bummer. You can still train, but I wouldn't be risky if I were you. You can do stuff like one armed DB bench press, suitcase deadlifts, etc which although they use one limp, will still work your core pretty well. You can also do one hand dumbell overhead squats for your legs and torso, and a bunch of single arm OHP stuff or snatches. Worst case scenario you can use machines.

Saint Wilhelm's Member #00070
Klotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Chris H
Amateur Fighter

You should be able to still do a good amount of leg work. I was in a similar situation about 2 years ago when I broke my hand. I did a shitload of leg work and cardio. I also did some lifting with the other arm for the upper body (I think we may have read the same study) but I kept it limited. I was doing leg work 2x per week and upper body 1xper week. Cardio 3x per week.

Good luck to you.

Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Gary Peters
Professional Fighter

Thanks for the response man im so bummed. Was on such a great track this year and now its all messed up.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Revok

Brown Belt

Time to work on your one arm pullup.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/232/

Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Gary Peters
Professional Fighter

Anyone know if there is truth to study claiming body will keep you balanced with 1 arm training ? meaning i dont want my left side bigger than my right.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #7
juanlawnmower
Banned

Imbalances don't matter if both arms are stronger than your opponents.

juanlawnmower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
takeahnase
watching the swarm

vCash: 492
You can still do curls with the good arm.

takeahnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
Gary Peters
Professional Fighter

heh i dont do curls to begin with but i guess itll have to do.. i dont know ive never had a broke arm before

Old 04-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
erco
Brown Belt

One hand dumbbell Squats/OH squats would be pretty good. Granted, you won't be carrying much weight, but it's something and will help you maintain.

Other than that, and snatches/swings, I'm not sure what else you can do. Work on conditioning?

erco is offline   Reply With Quote