Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Strength & Conditioning Discussion

Strength & Conditioning Discussion You call that a deadlift? HA! Come in and share your woes, girly man.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Graciebarra 847

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Best 2 day a week program preparing for bjj tourneys

Best 2 day a week workout to train for bjj tourney? I have good strength but need to up my cardio. What would be a good workout program for this? Any bjj players train twice a week for conditioning?

Graciebarra 847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
SimonAdd

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graciebarra 847 View Post
Best 2 day a week workout to train for bjj tourney? I have good strength but need to up my cardio. What would be a good workout program for this? Any bjj players train twice a week for conditioning?
Which aspect of your conditioning do you feel is lacking? Assuming you've been doing BJJ for a while, you probably have a decent conditioning base so it would be beneficial to work on your individual weak points.

A rough way to assess this would be to ask yourself: what tends to feel like it's burning out first when rolling, your lungs/heart or your limbs? To give you an example, I have pretty decent respiratory capability (lots of running) but when rolling hard my limbs turn to lead, so I could obviously use more muscular endurance work.

Also make sure you read through the conditioning FAQs and understand the different energy systems. And roll as much as humanly possible: extra classes, open mats, whatever.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
KnightTemplar
Dark Knight Detective

The "easiest" way to develop cardio for BJJ is...do more BJJ. Roll more.

If this is not an option for some reason, the two things I'd recommend are Hill Sprints and Prowler training.

Officer of Team KGB: Game of Death(Lifts) Champions 2013

Member of the JLA: Winners of the Dark Knight Trophy 2014
KnightTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
LegioTitan

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar View Post
The "easiest" way to develop cardio for BJJ is...do more BJJ. Roll more.

If this is not an option for some reason, the two things I'd recommend are Hill Sprints and Prowler training.
Given that all of the particulars of your situation are unknown I would concur with what KT has said here.

Hill sprints one day, prowler pushes and drags the other.
I also found moderate(about 450# for me) weight tire flipping for x5 a go did wonders for my muscular endurance. I attribute this and interval bike/sprint work to getting my farmer's carry time where it was.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
McClure

Orange Belt

I disagree that the best cardio for bjj is simply more bjj. At a certain point you have to supplement your bjj training with strength and cardio specific workouts in order to improve.

I train bjj 5x week (and oftentimes roll 30+ rounds/week) and if I neglect cardio/strength sessions I notice a steady decline in my ability to scramble and/or maintain my base in certain positions.

I do a kettlebell/bodyweight circuit 2x each week immediately following bjj. I deadlift w/assistance 1x each week on a day off from bjj.

McClure is offline   Reply With Quote