Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #41
ShindoNinja

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
It's short for : Onegaishimasu.

Translated as “please be kind to me” or “please do this favor for me.” The
meaning changes slightly depending on the situation, but the intent is the same, and it is used constantly in Japanese society. In some schools, it’s abbreviated down to hearty “Oss.”

ShindoNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #42
RacerX

Orange Belt

Some people like to call people who believe there should be some tradition in the martial arts "Japanophiles". It comes up a lot in BJJ vs. Judo threads. (I .e., I was kidding).

RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #43
Shinedown88

Orange Belt

How the greeting "Oss" came about

pronounced "Ohws"

The famous "OSS" has many origins. The first definition of "OSS" as an abbrevition for Onegai Shimassu, which translates into a request, a solicitation, an invitation like "please", "if you may" or "with your permission", much used when inviting a partner to train.

The second definition of "OSS", also known as "ossu" ( it doesn't matter how you spell it in English), means Oshi Shinobu, which conveys the idea (the literal translation has nothing to do with the context) of "persevering when pushed", or in other words, never give up, have determination, grit and withstand the most arduous of training. Carrying on without giving up, under all kinds of pressure - that's the idea of inner strength so common in Asian culture.

Therefore, at the start of a fight, the martial artist will shout, invoke, emanate the "OSS", as a way of letting this sentiment out. In many sources, "OSS" is defined as a manifestation of ki energy, or in other words, a different kiai (strength), indicating one is ready to fight.

According to Miyamoto Musashi, in the book "Go rin no sho" (Book of the five rings), the samurai would use three types of shouts: one before combat, the second during combat, when attacking, to muster greater strength (kiai), and the third after the fight, to celebrate victory or bemoan defeat.

"Oss", beyond demonstrating strong spirit and determination before a fight, is also used to suggest or confirm a piece of information. Thus, whenever a Sensei asks or informs of something, the response is "OSS!" It is the response that will signify understanding or confirm understanding.

- Gracie Magazine

Shinedown88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #44
Mike Wilson Jr.
Amateur Fighter

You know, OSS has become more and more popular lately. But from my understanding, it was a Carlson thing.

Anyone with a strict Helio lineage care to comment?

"A belt covers 2 inches of your ass, its up to you to cover the rest."

Just STFU and train...
Mike Wilson Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #45
lechien

Silver Belt

not sre about the Carlson guys in Brasil. But the Carlson guys in London always finish their post with Oss!

I was not too sure if it was a wash off from their time training in Japanese MA as well.

But I have a few brasilians BB that end their FB message with oss as well and they do not have a Carlson lineage.

Old 10-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #46
Kimuralex

Brown Belt

my japanese judo sensei told me he does not like oss and in japan it is in fact looked down upon. he said that "tough guys" and "gangsters" yell it to scare/intimidate people and it means almost a "booyah" type of sound. He said that the translation has changed once it came to america/out of japan.

When Boredom meets Creativity.
Kimuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #47
Balto

Silver Belt

Osu is like the l33t sp33k of the martial arts. It is Japanese in origin, but it doesn't really mean a whole lot.

If your conversation in English would be like:
"sup bro"
"nm u?"
"same"

Then you could just say "Osu" to each other if you wanted to be Japanese about it.

Some people also use it like a quiet kiai. Say you chop a guy and go "Ossssss" when you are messing around. That's just a kiai basically and has no meaning at all whatsoever. You can make whatever sound you like.

Balto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #48
Aussie Made

White Belt

Actually it means....

Osu is a contraction of the words:

Oshi meaning "Push",

and

Shinobu meaning "to Endure".

It means patience, determination and perseverance.

We use it at our dojo whenever a senior instructor ask's you to do something, its a respect thing as well.

Aussie Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #49
Doughbelly
α-nerd, general purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
Osu is like the l33t sp33k of the martial arts. It is Japanese in origin, but it doesn't really mean a whole lot.

If your conversation in English would be like:
"sup bro"
"nm u?"
"same"

Then you could just say "Osu" to each other if you wanted to be Japanese about it.

Some people also use it like a quiet kiai. Say you chop a guy and go "Ossssss" when you are messing around. That's just a kiai basically and has no meaning at all whatsoever. You can make whatever sound you like.
Yup. Most of these 'leading theories,' from linguistic scholars or otherwise, are backronymic type nonsense.

If you're doing this, it means somebody, somewhere in your line was a Kyokushin type guy who let his tough guy attitude bleed over into his other MAs. There's no quicker way to confirm you are from a blue collar MA background than to go around OSUing people at dojos other than your own.

Doughbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #50
Tattooed

Blue Belt

The only thing I hear Brazillians is boa, and it's constantly.